Wiki Posts
Search

Samoa Airline - Pay by Weight Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER

If you are flying near the American Samoa area, check out Samoa Air - pay by the weight - go on a diet and save some $$$s.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...eight-pricing/
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:18 am

Looks like it will be cheaper to ship a plane-load of styrofoam peanuts via Samoa Air and not FedEx.

Is there no maximum volume requirement?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Looks like it will be cheaper to ship a plane-load of styrofoam peanuts via Samoa Air and not FedEx.

So - given your screen name - do they pay you to fly?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Have you seen the size of Samoans?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
Have you seen the size of Samoans?
That and the size of the airplane. Twin Otters are small airplanes.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
That is not unusual for small planes. Kenmore air does it and has for years. You are allowed a certain amount of pounds which is you AND your luggage, not to exceed that allowance.
For those small planes it is completely practical. You see the size of a healthy Samoan boy?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Exterous

So - given your screen name - do they pay you to fly?
No, unfortunately not, but I wish. The TSA prohibits me and my oxygen buddies from being taken onboard in either carry-on or check-in.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:29 am

No, unfortunately not, but I wish. The TSA prohibits me and my oxygen buddies from being taken onboard in either carry-on or check-in.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 4:55 pm

Finally! I think all airlines should do this! I weigh 130 lbs and it pisses me off when I get charged for a few pounds excess baggage when someone weighing 50lbs more than me but with bag that is not over weight doesn't get charged at all! It will finally be fair!
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:22 pm

Sounds like Samoa Air have discovered the Michael O'Leary principle of marketing: be as controversial as possible, and the world's media will spread your name far and wide. As they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity!
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Airfare by weight - success!

It seems that Samoan Air thinks their "airfares by weight" scheme is a success.

"The world's first trial of a controversial airline fare system based on passengers' weight is being touted a success.

Pacific airline Samoa Air introduced the system late last year, and says the move has been so successful it is now upgrading its fleet."

Chances of it catching on elsewhere?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:34 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Samoan is a special case:
- fleet of small to very small aircraft
- one of the worlds most overweight populations
and maybe also:
- not much competition (?)

So the heavier passengers pay more or choose a competitor, who then has to deal with a higher average passenger weight. In order to deal with this, competitor has to raise prices (for everyone) or install similar pricing scheme.
Wonder if we will ever see this on a major airline. I doubt it.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:22 pm

I remember this story from when it came round the first time. One interesting thing from this update is this:
He said the airline was in the process of adding to its three-aircraft fleet a new Cessna 208, which would be configured to ensure larger passengers who pay higher fares are given more space, so that "everybody gets what they're paying for".
I guess that softens the blow for people who have to pay more ... they also get more space. This seems much less controversial to me - its effectively forcing heavier people to pay more, but giving them extra leg room or wider seats for that premium. I guess you could find a balance where everyone is happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.