Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travel etiquette in seeking airline aisle seat.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel etiquette in seeking airline aisle seat.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Angry Travel etiquette in seeking airline aisle seat.

My husband and I were on a recent flight and were in first class. We were getting all settled in when the guy across the aisle asked us to trade seats with his wife and their other child...she was in row 1 (we were in row 3). I didn't want to move, but my husband acted like we should, so off we went - to the seats I hate!! I like to have my bag close since it has ereaders, chargers, etc. Of course all that had to go overhead. What does everyone else do when faced with seat changes...Any other row would not have been such an issue for me, but row 1 !!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA, LM // HH, CP
Travel etiquette

if it's that's important to you you should've spoken up
if I was in a seat I liked I would say sorry. I guess your husband just wanted to be the nice guy to the woman =]
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL GM
You're probably right to be upset with your husband. He should have solicited your opinion privately before assuming you'd move.

If the other passengers asked politely they committed no breach of etiquette in my opinion. (Etiquette is pretty much subjective anyway, right?) There's nothing wrong to responding to this type of question with "No thank you, I prefer my seat. That's why I selected it."
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:57 pm

You move, you lose. Nothing wrong with politely declining.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WWGuy
You're probably right to be upset with your husband. He should have solicited your opinion privately before assuming you'd move.

If the other passengers asked politely they committed no breach of etiquette in my opinion. (Etiquette is pretty much subjective anyway, right?) There's nothing wrong to responding to this type of question with "No thank you, I prefer my seat. That's why I selected it."
+1. Nothing wrong with asking politely and nothing wrong with refusing to switch.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by kate21677
My husband and I were on a recent flight and were in first class. We were getting all settled in when the guy across the aisle asked us to trade seats with his wife and their other child...she was in row 1 (we were in row 3). I didn't want to move, but my husband acted like we should, so off we went - to the seats I hate!! I like to have my bag close since it has ereaders, chargers, etc. Of course all that had to go overhead. What does everyone else do when faced with seat changes...Any other row would not have been such an issue for me, but row 1 !!
Great question

I've never seen this one on FT

What do you guys think?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:58 pm

First world problems.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by leonidas
First world problems.
LOL

right up there with

Dammit where is my salad fork
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:05 pm

Exactly what others said. I don't mind it if someone politely asks me if I would change seats with them. But if I like my seat, I will politely decline. I wouldn't feel bad at all.

If the guy just wanted to sit with his wife and child, you might have politely suggested to him to ask someone in row 1 to switch with him, instead of having two people switch with his wife and child.

If you agreed to switch, you only have yourself to blame
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

In my opinion, a family sitting together is more important than you not having your bag close and having to put it in the overhead. Of course you would have had the right to refuse without explanation, and they couldn't have forced you to do anything, but I would consider anyone who did that to be a self-centered jerk. I'm glad your husband did the right thing.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
OP's altitude was that it was asking guy's fault.
Based on the responses above, husband is still about to face a serious talk
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: United, Cathay, Delta, Priority Pass (gold), SPG
Travel etiquette

Don't think anything wrong in etiquette here. Can very easily refuse if you do not want to move. Hope he helped youove your baggage though? But then again... How bad can a seat in first class be?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
In my opinion, a family sitting together is more important than you not having your bag close and having to put it in the overhead. Of course you would have had the right to refuse without explanation, and they couldn't have forced you to do anything, but I would consider anyone who did that to be a self-centered jerk. I'm glad your husband did the right thing.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree completely. Mainly due to the fact that people's situations are different. You don't know why people refuse to change seats (especially if they give no explanation, which they are definitely not obligated to do). It may not be important for a family to sit together (it definitely wasn't for me when I was a kid; I would've been quite happy if I was sitting in a different row from my parents and another passenger refused to switch )

If you can't get seats together, you shouldn't expect to sit together. If you do, be thankful to the other passengers that moved for you. Don't expect others to inconvenience themselves to accommodate you.

Originally Posted by goku001
Don't think anything wrong in etiquette here. Can very easily refuse if you do not want to move. Hope he helped youove your baggage though? But then again... How bad can a seat in first class be?
OP doesn't say what plane and what airline, but AA's 738s have less legroom in the bulkhead. I have relatively long legs, and would much prefer a non-bulkhead F seat. Especially if I was in a window, I'd get cramps if I can't stretch my legs out fully for a few hours.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by cbn42
In my opinion, a family sitting together is more important than you not having your bag close and having to put it in the overhead.
Why? Are the family members going to spontaneously combust or something if they don't get to sit together? This wasn't a need, this was a desire, and a family's desires don't trump those of anyone else.
Cotumely likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Avis, & AMEX
If you can't get seats together, you shouldn't expect to sit together. If you do, be thankful to the other passengers that moved for you. Don't expect others to inconvenience themselves to accommodate you.[/QUOTE]

I actually dislike that people ask this. It puts people in an awkward situation and I have a feeling more people say yes than no because they do not want to come across as an ........

-Nathan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.