Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travel etiquette in seeking airline aisle seat.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Travel etiquette

I'm 70 and don't think it's healthy to sit for 14-17 hours with only getting up. one or two times. At my age it really hurts to sit that long. So either I let my husband have the aisle and he puts up with it or I ask the person on the aisle to change.. Most of the time I have wangled an aisle seat for myself. Mostly I manage to get an aisle seat for myself.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
When I sit next to those who constantly get up for whatever reason, at some point, I just slide my legs as close to the seat as I can and turn my legs toward the aisle and just let them squeeze by.. if they are going to get up on the hour, they can earn it.. I do that upon return as well.

Often I have my laptop out (and what ever other crap I'm working on), drinks on the center console etc and its just a royal PITA to get up, down, up down on the hour every hour.
If you don't want to be bothered when someone wants to get out on a regular basis, take the window seat. It's part of having an aisle seat, and some people really cannot go long without using the lav.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by rjque
If you don't want to be bothered when someone wants to get out on a regular basis, take the window seat. It's part of having an aisle seat, and some people really cannot go long without using the lav.
Y'all would love me as a seat mate then. When I voluntarily take the window, I don't plan on getting up. Rule of thumb, on a domestic flight I'll last the whole way; I'll get up max once on an int'l flight. And I try to go when the aisle person gets up as well.

Based on various responses, I guess I'm a polite window pax but a ....... of an aisle pax for declining to move.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles FO
My fiancee and I were upgraded at the last minute once. I had 1D & she had 2A. We both asked our aislemates to switch, and both declined. Mine needed 1C for the easy access to the lav. Hers had family across the aisle. We both ended up having pleasant conversations with our aislemates.

I didn't feel comfortable asking, and it didn't work for either of us. However, we knew beforehand that we may not sit together, so there was no reason to make it uncomfortable for someone who had preselected his seat.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What really bugs me in this thread is this underlying sense of entitlement as witnessed by those who would label you with all manner of unsavory descriptions if you don’t give up your seat for them or someone else who they seem to deem worthy of your seat. To see it these people's way, once they've asked you for your seat, you never really had any right it anyway. And then they have the nerve to warn us of the risk of "bad karma" to support their selfish positions.

That said, I'm usually willing to help most people out, though as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the inability of two grown adults to be apart for even a few hours is mystifying.
Exactly

Originally Posted by slawecki
i have not been asked to change seats twice in about a thousand flights. both were reasonable requests, and i complied. on one, i was asked if i would mind sitting with that lady over there..that was no lady, that was my wife(groucho marx)

this topic again shows that the FTer is the biggest .....er(can i use that word? if not delete it), complainer, egocentric jerks in the world. most of them doing this complaining are probably on domestic free UG seats.' and brought on twice the amount of carry on luggage allowed.
When someone acts as if the person in the seat is wrong, it puts the person who is rightfully in that seat in a very bad position. If they say 'no' to the move, they are called all sorts of names (I have been in person, as well as been screamed at, ordered about, etc) That leads to many people feeling that they have no recourse but to say 'yes', and take a lesser seat, or one which doesn't meet their needs, lest they be vilified on message boards and in real life.

That is why many consider it impolite to even ask for someone to change seats. The action of asking places the person in a very uncomfortable position and leaves them with no positive outcome. It puts the asker in a position of dominance and leaves the askee with no options.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by rjque
I just don't like the window seat. Of course I'll take it if thats all there is but I will check a couple a times a day to move my seat to an aisle if possible.

Once I get it, I don't want to lose it.

For the person who has to get up all the time, after I get sick of it, I still let them out, I'm just not getting up to do it
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:14 pm

I have changed seats for those who were polite and wanted to sit by their travel companions like a spouse, partner, or a child in the past.

I still am not happy with Airtran who issued 4 tickets for me, my mother, my niece (age 8) and nephew (age 10) and had us sitting each in different seats when returning from Disney World. My mother in a rare moment of being polite was able to speak to the flight attendant and another passenger to have either her or me sitting with the kids as they were together but not with their aunt or grandmother in the 3rd seat. The passenger that switched understood and changed seats with my mother as she was sitting with the kids at the time. The kids ended up sleeping most of the flight anyways.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by MissRoseDarrensAngel
I still am not happy with Airtran who issued 4 tickets for me, my mother, my niece (age 8) and nephew (age 10) and had us sitting each in different seats when returning from Disney World. My mother in a rare moment of being polite was able to speak to the flight attendant and another passenger to have either her or me sitting with the kids as they were together but not with their aunt or grandmother in the 3rd seat. The passenger that switched understood and changed seats with my mother as she was sitting with the kids at the time. The kids ended up sleeping most of the flight anyways.
AirTran charges for seat assignments.

If you paid the fee and were moved, or had some sort of irregular ops which resulted in no seat assignment, I have some sympathy for your situation. If however you chose not to pay the fee, then I have very little sympathy for you choosing to put your family in that situation. Especially on carriers where one can choose to pay a fee to ensure that a party is seated together, I think that those who decide not to do so and then expect others to move (including those who did pay for seats) are being especially selfish. Unfortunately those people seem to exist all over the internet, especially on Disney travel fora.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by MissRoseDarrensAngel
I have changed seats for those who were polite and wanted to sit by their travel companions like a spouse, partner, or a child in the past.

the problem is in the first sentence of your second paragraph

you flew Airtran
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:43 am

Some people really do have chutzpah though - I have had a woman in economy middle seat ask me to switch my economy "comfort" aisle seat with her so she could be with her husband, seated next to me. They both spent the whole rest of the 7+ hr flight buzzing back and forth and giving me dirty looks. That is perhaps where the manners comes in. Can't blame them for trying, but they should have taken it with better grace.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mg10461
Some people really do have chutzpah though - I have had a woman in economy middle seat ask me to switch my economy "comfort" aisle seat with her so she could be with her husband, seated next to me. They both spent the whole rest of the 7+ hr flight buzzing back and forth and giving me dirty looks. That is perhaps where the manners comes in. Can't blame them for trying, but they should have taken it with better grace.
That drives me crazy.

I am curious if the husband offered his E+ seat to the person sitting next to his wife. Somehow, I doubt it.

Mike
Old Apr 3, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mg10461
I would have suggested a reverse swap...ask her husband to exchange with the non "comfort" seat next to his wife.
All would be / should be happy !
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
I would have suggested a reverse swap...ask her husband to exchange with the non "comfort" seat next to his wife.
All would be / should be happy !
Oddly enough I got a similar "upgrade" on a recent flight. Some polite lady wanted me to swap my aisle seat with her son sat further down the plane. I asked if it was an aisle seat, she said yes. I had no qualms with that and did the swap, ended up in an exit-row aisle seat, very comfy 8 hours indeed!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

If it was F for F and aisle for aisle I would probably do it. I try to take all my in-flight stuff out anyway before I sit down. If it was short flight and a family with a kid I would even take a window, but only in F or exit row.

For those who said "he should select his seats in advance" you must not live in the real world. Last minute upgrades, cancellations, and high loads don't always make it easy to get adjoining seats. You have no idea as to why he got the seats he did.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
For those who said "he should select his seats in advance" you must not live in the real world. Last minute upgrades, cancellations, and high loads don't always make it easy to get adjoining seats. You have no idea as to why he got the seats he did.
How is that anyone else's problem?
NoizeBoy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.