Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Travel etiquette in seeking airline aisle seat.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel etiquette in seeking airline aisle seat.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njx9
Funny, I think the same things about people who try to inconvenience me for their own "comfort".
^
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Why? Are the family members going to spontaneously combust or something if they don't get to sit together? This wasn't a need, this was a desire, and a family's desires don't trump those of anyone else.
+1

I have actually moved a few times in domestic F to allow others to sit together- not a big deal if it's a simple swap and I don't have a compelling desire to keep the seat I have.

However, this idea that it's the end of the world for two grown adults not to sit together on a flight mystifies me.

For kids I understand, and I also recognize the trouble it probably is for non-elites to get seats together when booking. However, this should be solvable by showing up to the gate with plenty of time to spare so the GA can sort it out prior to boarding.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by kate21677
My husband and I were on a recent flight and were in first class. We were getting all settled in when the guy across the aisle asked us to trade seats with his wife and their other child...she was in row 1 (we were in row 3). I didn't want to move, but my husband acted like we should, so off we went - to the seats I hate!! I like to have my bag close since it has ereaders, chargers, etc. Of course all that had to go overhead. What does everyone else do when faced with seat changes...Any other row would not have been such an issue for me, but row 1 !!
That's when you quote Nancy Reagan:

JUST SAY NO
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by WWGuy
(Etiquette is pretty much subjective anyway, right?)
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Wrong. Etiquette consists of rules. That's why there are books like Miss Manners and Emily Post to lay out those rules and explain them.
Comments like yours above are certainly subjective too. The terse syntax comes across as confrontational and boorish, especially considering the topic for which you claim credibility.

Here are a few definitions of etiquette from fairly credible sources. I believe they support my previous statement above.
  • "Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." (Emily Post)
  • Etiquette is "the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group." (Oxford Dictionary)
  • "A rule of etiquette may reflect an underlying ethical code, or it may reflect a person's fashion or status. Rules of etiquette are usually unwritten, but aspects of etiquette have been codified from time to time." (Wikepedia)
  • "Etiquette is little more than a way to interact with those around us. It is less about a set of rules than it is about feeling confident and at ease with others." (Modern Etiquette)
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 360, AA Platinum for Life, Marriott Platinum Premier for Life, United Platinum, Hertz
Originally Posted by kate21677
My husband and I were on a recent flight and were in first class. We were getting all settled in when the guy across the aisle asked us to trade seats with his wife and their other child...she was in row 1 (we were in row 3). I didn't want to move, but my husband acted like we should, so off we went - to the seats I hate!! I like to have my bag close since it has ereaders, chargers, etc. Of course all that had to go overhead. What does everyone else do when faced with seat changes...Any other row would not have been such an issue for me, but row 1 !!
If there is seat parity (equal legroom, and aisle preference) and luggage parity (luggage is accessible without waiting for rest of aircraft to deboard) I would switch. Otherwise not.

In your case I would not have switched. BTW sounds like it was a family of 4 in 2 different rows. At least no one is sitting with a stranger. They should be satisfied with that.

Last edited by stealthpilot; Mar 27, 2013 at 4:30 pm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:35 pm

If it's a short flight (2 hours or less), I wouldn't mind too much if I was asked to switch to a "worse" seat. But if it's a 14 hour flight and I'm asked to switch from an aisle seat to a middle/window seat, I wouldn't.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HiltonHonors Diamond
deleted

Last edited by Hawaii_flyer; Mar 29, 2013 at 2:52 am
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by cbn42
In my opinion, a family sitting together is more important than you not having your bag close and having to put it in the overhead. Of course you would have had the right to refuse without explanation, and they couldn't have forced you to do anything, but I would consider anyone who did that to be a self-centered jerk. I'm glad your husband did the right thing.
We do not know how long a flyt was thiis, nor the aircraft type. So we cannot judge if there are other reasons. If both asking and declining pax observed common courtsy, no foul no harm,

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree completely. Mainly due to the fact that people's situations are different. You don't know why people refuse to change seats (especially if they give no explanation, which they are definitely not obligated to do). It may not be important for a family to sit together (it definitely wasn't for me when I was a kid; I would've been quite happy if I was sitting in a different row from my parents and another passenger refused to switch )

If you can't get seats together, you shouldn't expect to sit together. If you do, be thankful to the other passengers that moved for you. Don't expect others to inconvenience themselves to accommodate you.

OP doesn't say what plane and what airline, but AA's 738s have less legroom in the bulkhead. I have relatively long legs, and would much prefer a non-bulkhead F seat. Especially if I was in a window, I'd get cramps if I can't stretch my legs out fully for a few hours.
No quarrel with that ! They were a row apart for heaven's sake...they can see each other, talk , and heck share food ! I know a whole lot of people who have to sit together even if it is cramped and seats are open.....at home, restaurants etc.

Originally Posted by NathanJ
If you can't get seats together, you shouldn't expect to sit together. If you do, be thankful to the other passengers that moved for you. Don't expect others to inconvenience themselves to accommodate you.
Agree Except it is the "askee" here not the "asker " !

I actually dislike that people ask this. It puts people in an awkward situation and I have a feeling more people say yes than no because they do not want to come across as an ........

-Nathan[/QUOTE]

Yes, PC and all that !
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by WWGuy
Comments like yours above are certainly subjective too. The terse syntax comes across as confrontational and boorish, especially considering the topic for which you claim credibility.

Here are a few definitions of etiquette from fairly credible sources. I believe they support my previous statement above.
  • "Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." (Emily Post)
  • Etiquette is "the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group." (Oxford Dictionary)
  • "A rule of etiquette may reflect an underlying ethical code, or it may reflect a person's fashion or status. Rules of etiquette are usually unwritten, but aspects of etiquette have been codified from time to time." (Wikepedia)
  • "Etiquette is little more than a way to interact with those around us. It is less about a set of rules than it is about feeling confident and at ease with others." (Modern Etiquette)
"Confrontational and boorish?" Not at all. Give me a break, please "[t]opic for which you claim credibility?" Are you reading my posts? What did I claim? Nothing.

I answered your brief question with a brief reply. Your long retort doesn't speak to what I said, viz., that etiquette is not subjective. Look at Miss Manners or Emily Post, for example and see if blue paper is acceptable for wedding invitations. It's either yes or no, nothing "subjective" about that at all.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
"Confrontational and boorish?" Not at all. Give me a break, please "[t]opic for which you claim credibility?" Are you reading my posts? What did I claim? Nothing.

I answered your brief question with a brief reply. Your long retort doesn't speak to what I said, viz., that etiquette is not subjective. Look at Miss Manners or Emily Post, for example and see if blue paper is acceptable for wedding invitations. It's either yes or no, nothing "subjective" about that at all.
If etiquette isn't subjective it sure has wide error bars on it. Etiquette isn't a series of laws. It is generally accepted conventions. This thread indicates that there is no generally accepted convention on this issue. Other than to ask, and agree or deny politely.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I think a little common sense goes a long way. When UA moved me from an aisle seat to another aisle so a father could sit with his 2 girls, I was happy to do it (and the father was very grateful). However, when 2 brothers, who had both booked middle seats, tried to take my aisle so they could sit together, I said (nicely but firmly) no.

BTW, this has come up in a number of other threads. There was a long thread about seat changing etiquette here:
woman in my seat

Originally Posted by Hawaii_flyer
For all you people who ask why I can't seem to be apart from my SO for a few hours, I would just like to say that it has nothing to do with sitting with him and everything to do with not sitting next to YOU!
Wow, try "serenity now." Or just reveal a little of that attitude onboard, and you'll have plenty of passengers willing to move far away. You should remember that respect for fellow passengers is a 2 way street.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:07 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jn in ca
I think a little common sense goes a long way. When UA moved me from an aisle seat to another aisle so a father could sit with his 2 girls, I was happy to do it (and the father was very grateful). However, when 2 brothers, who had both booked middle seats, tried to take my aisle so they could sit together, I said (nicely but firmly) no.

BTW, this has come up in a number of other threads. There was a long thread about seat changing etiquette here:
woman in my seat

Wow, try "serenity now." Or just reveal a little of that attitude onboard, and you'll have plenty of passengers willing to move far away. You should remember that respect for fellow passengers is a 2 way street.
+1.

Maybe the lady needs to pay up so she can be far away from the rest of us !....Matter of fact I would chip in on an onboard collection !
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by HMPS
+1.

Maybe the lady needs to pay up so she can be far away from the rest of us !....Matter of fact I would chip in on an onboard collection !
This topic always brings out the best in Flyertalk.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
While you have a right not to move to reasonably accommodate a family, if you don't you are an unmitigated ...... IMHO. It's just good karma folks.

Exceptions for scammers, etc apply.
IMHO, it is an unmitigated bother that people who ask others to move often cop the very attitude you express if refused. A reasonable accomodation would be helping reunite a child or elderly or handicapped person who has been split up from their companion. Mom, Dad and all the kids don't actually need to sit together.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Silver 2014), AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Most of the time, I travel solo so it's not a big deal to change as long as I don't get downgraded. When couples or families are traveling, I'm usually glad to take the opportunity to give them a better travel experience.

Often people are put into United Economy Plus as a courtesy after a cancelled flight and I can tell they've been waiting at O'Hare for much of the day when I take (e.g.) a late evening flight to the west coast. That was the case once for one family from Oregon who were on a college tour for their fraternal twins ... it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for them, so a number of us organized a Rubik's Cube-like set of maneuvers to get the parents in one row and the kids behind them. This was in the pre-UA-CO merger days so it was on an A320 with a third to half of the drop-down LCD screens broken so other people actually wanted to see the movie (the "Poseidon Adventure" remake - ugh!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.