Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best airline for overweight passengers? (first time flyer)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best airline for overweight passengers? (first time flyer)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: delta, northwest, southwest
concerned about seat size

And one other add - I agree with the person who said to check your seating if you buy additional seats. I have bought extra seats online and found them switched later so that all 3 seats are not together or that my aisle seats have been put together on one row (giving us an aisle and a middle seat). I've been able to switch them back without a problem, but there does seem to be a tendency to move them.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by efirefly
And one other add - I agree with the person who said to check your seating if you buy additional seats. I have bought extra seats online and found them switched later so that all 3 seats are not together or that my aisle seats have been put together on one row (giving us an aisle and a middle seat). I've been able to switch them back without a problem, but there does seem to be a tendency to move them.
The only carrier whose COS policy I have direct experience with is Southwest, but when I emailed their customer service folk, I found that there is a special booking method when booking two seats under the COS policy. (I assume that if you fail to book in this method, there might be difficulty in getting the later refund). WN's procedure is to book both seats in your name, but in the "extra" seat, you change the middle initials to XS (I'll go ahead and assume that means "eXtra Seat" not "eXcess Size"!). The second seat is in your name, but refundable after the flight.

If other carriers have such a procedure, it might prevent the computer systems from separating two seats booked under the same name for one person. It's worth asking the carriers about, if you're booking two seats for yourself for an upcoming flight.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
The OP started this thread four months ago and still has only that one post.

Perhaps one should have to have five or 10 comment posts before being allowed to start a new thread.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Rebelyell

Perhaps one should have to have five or 10 comment posts before being allowed to start a new thread.
Not sure why. If they got the information they needed I don't see why it is a problem. Hopefully they did.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by efirefly
First or business class - be careful assuming an upgrade to this area will get you more room. I have found that some international business class seats are all metal along the sides on the interior of the seat space - effectively boxing you into a smaller space. I have zero idea why they would do that since they have the room to leave the sides open.
A lot of the newer flat-bed seats are like that. Generally the width of them is better than coach, but they are very hard to get comfortable in from a sleeping perspective if you're over about 6'2" or so. Unless you are a side-sleeper to begin with...they you can curl up easier I suppose.

I always liked the old barcalounger style J/F seats, even if they didn't lie flat. I felt like there was more room for my feet.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Not sure why. If they got the information they needed I don't see why it is a problem. Hopefully they did.
In this particular thread, I don't see a problem. However, I do support those "minimum posts" rules, because they help to reduce trolling and spammers, who will often register, post a bunch of annoying or disruptive nonsense, and be off.

This thread has been exemplary, however. No bashing, no arguing, just a rational, reasoned discussion of COS policies and ways to be more comfortable on a plane if you're large and/or overweight.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First

And some first time posters go on to long and beneficial FT memberships. Not allowing newly signed up members to create a thread would probably just cause there to be fewer new members, which is not the goal of the owners of FT.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 1:43 pm

Smile NO More BIG PEOPLE FEES

Just wanted to put it out there that Southwest Airlines NO Longer is Charging for "Customers of Size".... Just let them know when making reservations that you need an extra seat, and everything will be just fine.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Reasonable people can always have a civil discussion of issues on which they disagree. It seems that this thread has attracted mostly reasonable people thus far, so the discussion has stayed civil and friendly.
Whatever you guys do, please don't bring up seat reclining or tipping and you'll be golden.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 4:58 pm
Formerly known as tonivitanza

Too Fat To Fly

Sorry, but if you need two seats, you should buy two seats. If you need two seats and can't afford two seats, you can't afford to fly. It is NOT right to expect the person unlucky enough to book a seat next to you to simply surrender any portion of their seat to you. If you walk into a Honda dealership with enough money to buy a Civic, but you can't fit in a Civic, they don't sell you an Odyssey for the price of a Civic. It doesn't matter WHY you're fat or if it's your fault you're fat or to what degree it's your fault you're fat. You're fat and you have to purchase what you need to accommodate yourself. I think it's absolutely wrong that SWA is basically giving away extra seats for free to the obese. I'd love an extra seat next to me for my handbag. Or just to give me some elbow room. But that's not how it works.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:06 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
tonivitanza, please take the time to learn Southwest's policy, which is even more generous than the old one. You can get a second seat for free, but you have to need it and you have to ask.

Is this policy to fair to customers of ordinary size? That's a different topic.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by elpmp
Just wanted to put it out there that Southwest Airlines NO Longer is Charging for "Customers of Size".... Just let them know when making reservations that you need an extra seat, and everything will be just fine.
Cool. Nice of SW to give seats away for free. I'm 6' 175 lbs but I have an enormous ego, which will fit nicely in the free second seat. Thanks for the extra comfort, SW !
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:11 pm
Formerly known as tonivitanza

Originally Posted by nsx
tonivitanza, please take the time to learn Southwest's policy, which is even more generous than the old one. You can get a second seat for free, but you have to need it and you have to ask.

Is this policy to fair to customers of ordinary size? That's a different topic.
Exactly. And of course it's not. It's not only unfair to those of average size; it's unfair to everyone on board who paid for the space they're using. They are subsidizing the "free" seat (nothing is ever free) for the obese person.
These folks might NEED the space. But they don't NEED it for NOTHING, for FREE.
Again, pay for what you need and for what you want, including space. Don't commandeer it from those near you. Don't expect it for free just because you're fat -- because someone, somewhere, is paying for it, just as taxpayers and premium payers are subsidizing the health care costs of the obese.
This the exact reason I refuse to eat at all-you-can-eat buffets. I refuse to subsidize, in the price of the buffet, the outsized appetites of others. I'm already subsidizing them enough, frankly.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Exclamation Time out

We may or may not reopen this thread.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.