Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What would you have done?

What would you have done?

Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL,EK
He's certainly allowed to hate people. Let it go.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
Hello,
I am Israeli and my mom is too(duh) . We were travelling to Budapest and on the plane a person came to us. He announced he was Hungarian and anti semitic person. He said he hates Israel he hates us hates Jews etc... bla bla bla and then boarded the plane. Now what would you have done?
Don't waste your time on losers, ignore them.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

don't wear your heart on your sleeve. aussies hated orientals. germans hated jews. germans are not nice to polishers. french hated jews. french hated bush americans. northern italians hate southern italians. londoners hate packies. irishers hate english. all them guys in yugoslavia hated each other. you think everybody loves you? just because of your nationality/religion?

i do not like to go through FRA, because of the abuse i get from the TSA. they try to take stuff from polish. i missed my last plane through when the guy tried to take my tooth cleaning machine.

is it a big surprise to you that someone hates jews, or Israelis???
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:24 pm

I definitely would not have engaged the anti-Semite in any way, shape, or form. Ignorant people like that can't be reasoned with so there would be absolutely no benefit.

I would have reported it to someone in charge because of the reasons Finkface mentioned. The fact that he was bold enough to come up to you and say what he did makes me think he may have trouble containing himself during the flight, perhaps even getting physical.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by pinworm
He is allowed to hate jews if he wants.
Sure he is.

But in a public place he should not spew his venomous ignorance.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
I've been in a similar situation. I would have smiled at him and simply stated, "You must live such a fulfilling life walking around with so much hatred towards others."

... and then reported him to the flight crew as a danger, with the goal of having him removed from the flight.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by MPScan
I've been in a similar situation. I would have smiled at him and simply stated, "You must live such a fulfilling life walking around with so much hatred towards others."

... and then reported him to the flight crew as a danger, with the goal of having him removed from the flight.
I'd like to know from the OP exactly how this man knew that they were Jews. I see one OP wants to kill the person, one or more wants him removed as a security risk for expressing his dislike for Jews. I'm gay and when I was younger I was sometimes very concerned for my safety. If I really thought something was going to happen I would call the police. If someone insulted me and said they don't like f***, I would get away from them as soon as I could. I would not automatically call the authorities.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
If someone insulted me and said they don't like f***, I would get away from them as soon as I could. I would not automatically call the authorities.
But you can't easily get away from someone when you're locked in a metal tube with them at 30,000 feet. If someone is in the frame of mind to march up to strangers and declare their hatred of Jews, who knows what else they are capable of. This is the reason to alert someone in charge, before the plane takes off if possible. It might not be reason enough to have the ignorant fool removed, but it would at least give the flight staff fair warning to keep an eye on him in case he decides to elevate his hatred to something more than words.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by hedur
But you can't easily get away from someone when you're locked in a metal tube with them at 30,000 feet. If someone is in the frame of mind to march up to strangers and declare their hatred of Jews, who knows what else they are capable of. This is the reason to alert someone in charge, before the plane takes off if possible. It might not be reason enough to have the ignorant fool removed, but it would at least give the flight staff fair warning to keep an eye on him in case he decides to elevate his hatred to something more than words.
Good point. I would alert a flight attendant, tell her what the guy said and tell them I was worried about my safety. I would not insist he be arrested or kicked off the flight. I would let the flight attendent, purser or GA decide what should happen to him.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Hello,
I am Israeli and my mom is too(duh) . We were travelling to Budapest and on the plane a person came to us. He announced he was Hungarian and anti semitic person. He said he hates Israel he hates us hates Jews etc... bla bla bla and then boarded the plane. Now what would you have done?
As a Hungarian I'm ashamed by the behaviour of the said person. I hope this incident did not ruin your trip to Budapest.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
What should you have done? What was the crime he commited? Aside from the stupid insult, did you feel that he was a threat to you, other passengers, or the flight crew? And there was never a clarification if this flight originated in TLV. If it did, perhaps he had a miserable time with Israeli airport security. And was just venting his anger onto others. I've seen the TSA here get people worked up and into a bad mood. That doesn't excuse his actions. But I just would have shook my head and just said "whatever".
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Report him to the crew, so that they're at least aware.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:32 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Originally Posted by travelmad478
1. Were you traveling from TLV to BUD? If so, wouldn't the whole plane be full of Israelis, and wouldn't the man have just been in Israel himself? I wonder why he singled you two out to receive his diatribe. If it had been me, and the plane had been sitting on the ground in TLV at the time, I probably would have (a) asked him what the hell he was doing in Israel if he hated Israel and Jews so much, and then (b) pointed him out immediately to the crew as a security risk. It would be poetic justice for him to get pulled off the plane and questioned for seven or eight hours by Israeli security.

2. If you weren't in TLV, how did he know you were Israeli? (I can think of a lot of non-Israelis who speak Hebrew.) If the plane was outside Israel at the time, I probably would have just told him to f*** off, notified cabin crew of the situation so they could watch out for him, and carried on with my flight. It stinks, but there are racists and bigots all over the world, and sometimes you have to let things just roll off you.
Poland to budapest and i was a little shocked to do anything . I did curse him off later however.Come on you guys it is very easy to spot an israeli! i am sure you all know that.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:36 am

Being Jewish and with a lot of family in Israel I would have just turned the other way or put on my headphones and ignored the comment. Unless he tried to threaten you there is no need to feed the fire.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GfL
Come on you guys it is very easy to spot an israeli! i am sure you all know that.
That depends. If you're dressed a certain way and speaking Hebrew, maybe. Secular immigrants to Israel, no way. We don't know which category you and your mom fall into.

Anyway, I still say I'd have done my #2 response, namely, tell him to f*** off, let the flight attendant know what happened and who spoke to you, and then sat down to fly to Budapest. I hope you had a nice time there in the end. Budapest is a wonderful place to visit, my favorite in Central Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.