Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have you ever walked off a plane (while still at the gate ;))

Old Mar 19, 13, 4:36 am
Original Poster

With all the threads about kids, DYKWIAs and sick people, I wonder if anyone has ever sized up their cabin mates and decided to just chuck it in and leave the aircraft.

I've never done it myself but I can envision scenarios where I would not be comfortable flying with a cabin full of sick people or screaming kids or foul smelling folks or a COS seated next to me on a full flight, etc., etc., etc.

Just curious.
Old Mar 19, 13, 6:41 am

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
I have walked off delayed flights several times to avoid misconnects or catch the later flight that is departing on time.
Old Mar 19, 13, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert View Post
I have walked off delayed flights several times to avoid misconnects or catch the later flight that is departing on time.
Yes, done the same.
Old Mar 19, 13, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by uszkanni View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever sized up their cabin mates and decided to just chuck it in and leave the aircraft.
I once sized up the person sitting next to me and left the aircraft. The GA and I had a very poor discussion regarding encroachment. I eventually reboarded the aircraft but took a different seat.
Old Mar 19, 13, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by handspring088 View Post
Yes, done the same.
As have I - when we hit the 3rd delay with the door still open several of us got on our phones and had ourselves rebooked onto the flight at the next gate that was actually leaving. Gathered up our stuff and walked off saying "we've been rebooked." Good move as our original flight was eventually canceled several hours later.
Old Mar 19, 13, 10:11 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Avis, & AMEX
I've never done it myself but I can envision scenarios where I would not be comfortable flying with a cabin full of sick people or screaming kids or foul smelling folks or a COS seated next to me on a full flight, etc., etc., etc.
What is a COS?

-Nathan
Old Mar 19, 13, 10:12 am

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NathanJ View Post
What is a COS?

-Nathan
Customer of Size. Euphemism for a very large passenger.
Old Mar 19, 13, 10:25 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Avis, & AMEX
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
Customer of Size. Euphemism for a very large passenger.
Thank you, that makes sense. I have never left because I was next to someone. I have wanted to though, nothing worse than having to lift your seatmate's lard roll to get to your IFE controls.

-Nathan
Old Mar 19, 13, 10:28 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
With all the threads about kids, DYKWIAs and sick people, I wonder if anyone has ever sized up their cabin mates and decided to just chuck it in and leave the aircraft.

Just curious.
No.
Old Mar 20, 13, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Yes, I did. I walked off the plane. Our flight is delayed. Due to mechanical problem. I was on the way to VCE via JFK. We wait for another hour. When they fixed the tail. I show him with my BP. I walked back to security checkpoint and look for my friend who work for ITS. They will tell her that I am going to Italy for a week. I flew out from FLL back on March 3, 2001. When I landed in JFK, I went to terminal 2, and I just barely made it. I am so lucky that I didn't missed the flight.
Old Mar 20, 13, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I wonder if anyone has ever sized up their cabin mates and decided to just chuck it in and leave the aircraft.
I've done exactly this. Sized being the operative word. I was generously accommodated with hotels (as it was the last flight of the day), vouchers and my choice of new flights.
Old Mar 20, 13, 7:57 am
Suspended

Only once when I was violently ill. I thought it would be best not to go at all..of course it only all came on once I was sitting in my seat. I felt fine when I boarded.
Old Mar 20, 13, 7:50 pm

Several years ago, I boarded a CX flight SFO-HKG only to find an entertainment box taking up most of my foot space. My seatmate also was on the large size, so I decided to write-off the trip. Not too difficult of a decision, as I had only paid ~$150 for the ticket (found on FT).

I asked a FA to be offloaded, and once she find out why, she asked a much smaller person to swap seats and asked me if the new seat was OK.

I would never have suggested such a thing, but the other person seemed OK with the switch, so I thanked the FA and took my new seat.

Originally Posted by pinworm View Post
Only once when I was violently ill. I thought it would be best not to go at all..of course it only all came on once I was sitting in my seat. I felt fine when I boarded.
Reminds me of the time I came down with violent food poisoning, an hour into a YVR-HKG flight. I spent 2 hours hooked up to IVs upon landing to rehydrate.

As bad as I felt, I can't imagine how the folks around me managed....
Old Mar 21, 13, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Flying MIA-ORD-LAX as part of an int'l MR on AA, upgraded to F (sidenote: Mr. Scottie Pippen was right behind me). Got a 30min ground hold while still at the gate at MIA, so I pulled out my phone to check a) ORD weather (very bad) and b) next available flights.

Called EXP desk, who agreed to rebook my friend (who's snoozing) and I on MIA-SFO-LAX.

Abruptly jumped up, woke up my friend, told him to follow me (like the MR trooper he was, he followed without question), grabbed our bags, probably startled everyone around me (including Scottie and anyone who saw... which was probably the whole plane (757)). Told the FA and flight deck "We've been rebooked... good luck!" as we hotstepped it to the other side of the terminal. We did tell the GA we were getting off, I hope she offloaded us + did a battlefield upgrade while the plane was still at the gate.

MIA-SFO (which incidentally was a 763, and we retained our upgrades) took off on time, no issues ending up at home at LAX.. Looked up the MIA-ORD later, and it took off at T+30min, but ended up circling outside ORD for 1.5 hours. Connecting ORD-LAX flight left 3 hours late.

'Tis was a good day.

I've never had to walk off due to my seatmate, but I'm mentally prepared to take that step for encroachment, odor, visible illness, or just being shifty-eyed.
Old Mar 21, 13, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to walk off of flights intra-China on a fairly regular basis. I.e. when it becomes apparent that the delay situation is likely to be severe enough to cause me to miss my meetings, I simply give up. This is a bit hard to pull off at remote stands, but not impossible (i.e. they will send a car to the plane if you stand firm in your demands). Thankfully, ATC delays aren't nearly as bad as they used to be and the HSR is increasingly useful so these problems aren't as common any more.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: