Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Next weekend - Flight prices - What's the deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, TrueBlue, Miles and More

I notice that next weekend flight prices starting Friday Mar 22 to Sunday Mar 24th, are almost double that of the normal....

Also, usually priceline always has some for around 300 booked within a week time frame. This time it shows over $600... Does anybody know of anything next weekend? I don't think there is a holiday ... is there something going on in Boston or Seattle?

Trip Route - Bos - SEA
Dates 03/22 - 03/24
I wonder what is going on.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:44 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Beginning of Spring Break in some areas.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Beginning of Spring Break in some areas.
End of spring break in others.

Also... it is next weekend.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 2:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Beginning of Easter week for many, they take off next weekend, take four days off, have Good Friday off, and stay through Easter.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:38 pm

Fares in general seem to have skyrocketed. I usually go visit friends in PHX every year which typically costs ~400 to fly out of my hometown airport. This year it'll cost me almost $800 to. Looks like I'll have to either have to forgo the trip this year or get someone to take me to OMA.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Yeah, this year you've got the end of spring break running into the start of Easter week. Kids today are so spoiled (I never got to fly anywhere during spring break *grumble*)

If there's a silver lining, it pretty much opens up all of April and May up to Memorial Day for sales. Airlines will continue to exploit the lessened competition to actually cut seats to drive fares up, which might work short term but creates openings for LCCs and ULCCs to gain most of the market share as demand grows.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
Yes its a mess... cant get anything better than a E- middle seat for my IAD-SAN 757 flight on friday.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Having Easter and Spring break fall around the same time definitely creates a higher demand. I am lucky though I was able to book a flight to Mexico City with my United miles 3 months ago. As a college student I could never afford to go anywhere for spring break, now that I have a regular full time job it feels kinda neat to have my first real spring break trip. ^ Even if it is in an overcrowded, smog infested intimidating place.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Why is it so expensive?

Palm Sunday / Holy Week
End of or start of spring break for many
You are trying to purchase a transcon 5 days out

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.