Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing suits in business class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:06 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I dress up for fancy international F from time to time. It's not a burden.

This has probably been debated a zillion times on here, but I've found that generally people treat you better if you're wearing a suit than when you're wearing casual clothing.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wearing suits in business class?

A passenger wearing a suit is much better than the passengers who immediately upon boarding change into sloppy looking pajamas. Based upon my unscientific survey, 90% of those that bring their own PJ's on board are overweight, also wear tennis shoes and snore very loudly. 95% hail from one country.

When the flight attendant takes your jacket upon boarding you're no longer wearing a suit and can be very comfy in a nice shirt and slacks.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:15 pm

What you wear gives people the first impression of who you are. So if you meet a good contact in biz class, you don't want to get to know them in your kangaroos pajamas, do ya?

=)
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:34 am

I take around 20 business class flights per year. The last time I wore a suit for any purpose was, if I remember correctly, my brother's wedding in 2006. I don't even know if my suit fits me any more.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Always, tie included.
Appropriated in lounge and as defense from the freezing inflight temperature.
Not to mention the convenience of all those jacket pockets for BPs, ID, mobile, candies..
Exception to the rule is flying for vacation.
A smart casual, without tie, makes me feel fine.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: Enough
In Y, J, or F, I am always flying in the exact same outfit: baggy sweatpants, big fuzzy wool socks, and a baggy university sweater. Yeah, I look like crap, especially when I'm in a drunken stupor from too much champagne, but I'm super-duper comfortable. The most fun is had when I'm boarding first and the GA or other passengers freak out, thinking I don't fit in, and I give them the Deltalina finger wave and walk past
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gglave
...for me the biggest question is not how people fly in suits, but how they wear them in muggy hot climates. Boggles my mind that people can wear suits in the summer in places like NYC, Chicago and DC, and how it was done in the "Mad Men" days when AC was much less common.
Corporate culture, client expectations, formal events, job interviews, justin timberlake's new single has a profound impact on you...

The client I'm visiting influences what I wear. When I'm in NYC visiting a financial services client, I am ALWAYS in a suit because THEY are. When I'm in SF visiting a tech client, I'm generally much less formal (slacks and a shirt). When I was working with a clothing brand, they let us wear jeans, as long as it was their brand.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
A passenger wearing a suit is much better than the passengers who immediately upon boarding change into sloppy looking pajamas. Based upon my unscientific survey, 90% of those that bring their own PJ's on board are overweight, also wear tennis shoes and snore very loudly. 95% hail from one country.

When the flight attendant takes your jacket upon boarding you're no longer wearing a suit and can be very comfy in a nice shirt and slacks.
In my defense, I am not overweight, and the pajamas were not sloppy.

represent the kangaroooooooo
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:35 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by gglave
...for me the biggest question is not how people fly in suits, but how they wear them in muggy hot climates. Boggles my mind that people can wear suits in the summer in places like NYC, Chicago and DC, and how it was done in the "Mad Men" days when AC was much less common.
Easy -- not all suits are the same weight. All-season suits are lighter and often only partially lined (of course, partial lining increases price). So, doable. Also, contrary to what some may assume, wool actually breathes better.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:37 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
95% hail from one country.
Ouch.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
If you are going away for one or two days on business, you can wear the suit and pack a few socks and whatever undergarments you prefer and and some shirts you're good to go.

I've gone to Europe a number of times with nothing more than a laptop bag. Toronto to LHR overnight, LHR to wherever first thing in the morning, perhaps a day at destination if not the meeting that day itself, back to LHR, and back to Toronto on the last flight of the evening. Suit to wear, computer, socks, underwear, shirt, small toiletries, done. Not even a roll-a-board to drag around.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
The client I'm visiting influences what I wear. When I'm in NYC visiting a financial services client, I am ALWAYS in a suit because THEY are. When I'm in SF visiting a tech client, I'm generally much less formal (slacks and a shirt). When I was working with a clothing brand, they let us wear jeans, as long as it was their brand.
This. When I'm on site at a hospital or a financial services client, it's a good bet I'm in a suit and tie. Most other times just slacks and a shirt, and maybe a sport coat if it's cold. And depending on flight and meeting times, I may be wearing my work outfit on the plane coming or going, or I might have had a chance to change into jeans.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
On a short flight (<3 hrs) before or after a business meeting, I can see people wearing a suit. And I have done that in the past, although I will try to change into something more casual/comfortable at the airport lounge if I have time.

On a long-haul international flight, especially an overnight flight, I will change into pajamas as soon as I board or after the meal service, depending on the length of the flight. If it is a long flight (10+ hours) and I am not looking to go to sleep any time soon, I will change to PJs later on. On a shorter flight (<8 hrs) where I want to maximize my sleep, I will change into PJs soon after boarding. I pack my suits in my suitcase, rather than wear them on long-haul international flights.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 5:26 pm

Unless I'm going directly to or coming directly from a meeting, I'm definitely not wearing a suit. I would likely be wearing my normal chinos, button-down, and sport coat. In the summer, I may actually deign to wear shorts, but will still have a button-down and loafers. I wouldn't be caught dead in public in jeans or sweatpants.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:20 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I do, quite often. My suits are tailored nicely and comfortable. I often take the jacket/coat off but my pants and shirts are all very comfy, otherwise I wouldn't wear them!

I'v worn them in coach, and often wear a tie, even on non-biz trips, especially in Italy, but I am probably more "formal" than most today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.