What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves, 2013 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves, 2013 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Please don't forget to take the actual Hotel Pet Peeves Survey in addition to contributing your thoughts about pet peeves here - thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:00 am

Wouldn't it make more sense to come here first for people's opinions, and then create the poll, than to create the poll which is missing many of the concerns expressed here?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:46 pm

One of my major hotel pet peeve's is their automated attendant system that keeps looping you back to the main menu when the front desk line does not answer. Also some systems you get a busy signal when you transfer to the operator and it hangs up instead of saying the line is busy and brings you back to the main menu.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by crabbing
Wouldn't it make more sense to come here first for people's opinions, and then create the poll, than to create the poll which is missing many of the concerns expressed here?
Good idea but that's already been done. This is the thread to discuss the poll (and of course more peeves are being brought up and will always continue to surface). Next year's will review and take into consideration new peeves that come up in this discussion as well as in the discussion after the findings are released, just as we did in updating the peeves on this year's.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Louie_LI
Controls for the lights on one side of the bed only.

Bedside table on one side of the bed only.

Windows that don't open.
Windows that don't open is my top pet peeve. I don't have allergies that I'm aware of, but whenever I stay in a hotel in which I can't at least crack the windows, I wake up with blood-shot eyes that stay blood-shot all day.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:23 am

crappy wifi

crappy free toiletries - i mean...stealing shampoo bottles is pretty much a tradition for me.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by GrjApp
As for noise, to add to those already mentioned - getting the room next to the elevator shaft. I'll ask for a new room if this happens. And loud talking - recently had someone next door who started talking loudly at 3 am every morning. One sided conversation, so presumably calling another time zone.

My #1 pet peeve though is odor. Be it fresh/stale cigarette smoke or too much deodorizer or mildewy type smells. I have in the past checked out of a hotel that could not get me a reasonably neutral room and I will happily do it again for a good night's sleep.
Originally Posted by cogitate
Partially clogged bathtubs seem to happen all too often, even in top level hotels. That is, the water doesn't drain as quickly as it should, and I find myself standing in soapy water for a bit. In fairness, every time I have reported this, the hotel has promptly sent a plumber who fixed the problem. This has been my experience in California, Las Vegas, and Atlantic City, NJ.
Rule N0 - if hotel's frequent guest program, or reservation engine, allow for room "preferences", enter "quiet room away from elevators, ice machines and employee entrance, extra towels, shower gel, [insert your preference here]". Complain vigorously if not provided.
Rule N1 - however tired you are, if room is not to your liking - go back to the reception and change. Especially important if you are going to stay there for more than 1 night - whats the point in blaming yourself each night? May be hard to do if there's a mile between you and reception (e.g. Venetian in LV), but every moment spent on it will repay you tenfold.
Rule N2 - if everything seem right, take a shower and flush a toilet. if not to your satisfaction, go back to rule N1.
Rule N3 - if rules 0/1/2 can not be enforced - MOVE (if not on pre-paid stay) or complain to HQ. If HQ is not there (or unreachable), take it up with duty manager/owner.

AX
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: US, HH
Originally Posted by AX9465
Rule N0 - if hotel's frequent guest program, or reservation engine, allow for room "preferences", enter "quiet room away from elevators, ice machines and employee entrance, extra towels, shower gel, [insert your preference here]". Complain vigorously if not provided.
Rule N1 - however tired you are, if room is not to your liking - go back to the reception and change. Especially important if you are going to stay there for more than 1 night - whats the point in blaming yourself each night? May be hard to do if there's a mile between you and reception (e.g. Venetian in LV), but every moment spent on it will repay you tenfold.
Rule N2 - if everything seem right, take a shower and flush a toilet. if not to your satisfaction, go back to rule N1.
Rule N3 - if rules 0/1/2 can not be enforced - MOVE (if not on pre-paid stay) or complain to HQ. If HQ is not there (or unreachable), take it up with duty manager/owner.

AX
All those are good. I also add "no connecting doors" to the preferences blurb. That one is hit or miss though. Sometimes the check-in desk just ignore preferences, so verbally confirming the "no elevator/non-smoking/etc" during check-in doesn't hurt.

All in all, things are rarely so bad that a room change is needed, but when it is, I have learnt not to waste any time doing so. Unfortunately not much one can do about thin walls other than not staying at those properties again or knowing which rooms are likely to have worse problems than others.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:30 pm

Hotel Room Placards and Cardboard Clutter

This is an easy one:

http://www.salon.com/2007/10/19/askthepilot250/

Also, I cannot stand it when you put a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door, and then housekeeping CALLS YOU to ask if you need your room made up. This happens constantly, and everywhere. What the hell do they teach people in those hotel management courses? "When a guest clearly doesn't wish to be disturbed, disturb him anyway..."

PS
Old Mar 12, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Much of this is great feedback for hotel managers and the corporate offices that dictate policies and procedures.

I was in the hotel industry for ~9 years working my way from Front Desk to Assistant Manager for a midlevel focused service brand of a major worldwide chain - have since been out of the industry for just over a year. I can answer a few of these peeves with how we tried to best address them and/or where they stem from.

1) Pillows

We had strict standards dictated from the chain on how many total pillows and how many of each type should be in each type of bed. Additionally we were given a very short list of pillow suppliers that were approved for use.

2) Housekeeping following up when you have DND on your door

Phone calls to a DND room are a big NO NO and I cannot believe there are properties that do this. We had small note cards (collateral material provided by corporate) that housekeeping slid under each DND door that was along the lines of 'we respect your request for privacy.....if you need additional towels or amenities please call the front desk'.

From my experience this was started due to mostly inexperienced leisure travelers who would come back to their room late at night and want their room cleaned well after housekeeping had left for the day, then rip apart the hotel because they could not get a full room service at 9:00PM. Yes it has happened.

Just a bit of insight!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
2013 edition pet peeve.. Checking into a hotel as an elite member, and the room is not prepared as requested.

So my wife will request everything from a baby crib, childrens robes, Adidas/Reebok workout outfits and shoes, extra water, changing duvet and pillows to hypoallergenic, etc.

Seems like multiple employees just keep on bringing the stuff to the room and all are looking to get tipped.

Its like the hotel sets it up all on purpose to get extra tips. It just doesn't happen once, but happens systemically.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
2013 edition pet peeve.. Checking into a hotel as an elite member, and the room is not prepared as requested.

So my wife will request everything from a baby crib, childrens robes, Adidas/Reebok workout outfits and shoes, extra water, changing duvet and pillows to hypoallergenic, etc.

Seems like multiple employees just keep on bringing the stuff to the room and all are looking to get tipped.

Its like the hotel sets it up all on purpose to get extra tips. It just doesn't happen once, but happens systemically.
Your post make me laugh. Great satire, AM.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Low wattage lightbulbs

Light pollution from outside (I like it absolutely pitch black to sleep)

Water pressure in the shower low

Temperature in the shower that won't stay constant or where you want it

Hearing the shower going in a room adjacent to yours or above/below yours

Recently I was showering at a motel. I had difficulty getting the temperature where I wanted but finally found an acceptable temperature and I got in and was all lathered up with soap then the temperature suddenly spiked up to absolutely piping hot. There was nothing I could do to get the shower water cool. I rinsed off bit by bit and that cost me at least an hour. I complained to the front desk upon checkout about the problem and a refund was cheerfully given.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:55 am

Programs: LH SEN
1) hotel websites that are not clear about the actual differences in room types, use euphemisms as room types (example: an "ocean view" is on the side of the building and you'll only see the ocean if your body is halfway out of the window), or don't have enough pictures of rooms and bathrooms. OTOH, love the ones that have floorplans.

2) bathrooms without power switches, so I have to dry my hair at the desk without a mirror.

3) when you have to put the room key on a slot for power on. You can't leave stuff charging while you are out.

4) when housekeeping doesn't refill toiletries every day.

5) room service cart or tray not being picked up from the hallway the next morning, even after I called them when I was done with dinner.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
My two major peeves:

1) Foam pillows. I can't sleep on foam pillows. I've been in hotels that call themselves "luxury" or "5-star" that don't have feather pillows available. I pack my own pillow when I check a bag but this isn't practical when I go carry-on only.

2) I always request a quiet room away from ice machines and elevators when I make my reservation. I can't tell you how many times this has been ignored, requiring me to go back down to the front desk, asking to have my room changed, waiting, waiting, waiting when I thought I could just unpack and relax.

I know these aren't unique to me but I needed to vent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.