FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Freaking out passenger forces plane back to gate (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1437454-freaking-out-passenger-forces-plane-back-gate.html)

Fireman812 Feb 18, 2013 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Medic1 (Post 20227362)
Here's a follow up question: What if this woman had demanded to get off 10 minutes after wheels up? Do you turn around, or do you physically restrain her (if necessary) for the duration of the normally scheduled flight?

My wife was on a MCO - ORD flight some years ago. About 20 min's into the flight a FA got on the PA and asked if "medically trained persons" could come to the front of the aircraft - my wife and I are both Paramedics. She volunteered, evaluated a patient that was having a cardiac event, was asked several times if the patient could "make it" to Chicago which was still over 2 hours away. She said, in her opinion, "No", and the captain turned the plane around and returned to Orlando.

Tough situation all the way around and makes us not want to be involved or offer an opinion when there are so many interests effected. My wife did receive some negative comments from some pax but most were just concerned for the patient. She also received a personalized letter from UA's medical director and a $300 voucher for assisting on the flight.

pinworm Feb 19, 2013 12:26 am

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn (Post 20273749)
^ Agreed. There is so much that needs to go into account when they decide if they should go back for one passenger or not. People need to learn how to suck it up.

Or, remember that scene in "Airplane!" when they line up to strike/slap the hysterical woman? Yeah. That.

USA_flyer Feb 19, 2013 5:11 am

Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 20262502)
How about a little understanding of logistics and cost? How about understanding that the needs of the one do not outweigh the needs of the many? I find it difficult to feel understanding at this high a price...especially for an irrational panic. People could miss interviews...be late on the first day...miss the death of a loved one...miss a connection..ruin a holiday not to mention the costs to the airline and schedule.

No, there is too much damage.

Big picture.

In almost all instances you mention, it would behoove the person to travel earlier than the last possible minute. When I travel, I always travel the day before I'm needed so as to not have to worry about schedules, even if that means travelling on a sunday.

Salmontes Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Medic1 (Post 20226095)
Was leaving PHI last night and we were taxiing for takeoff. Suddenly the pilot stomps on the brakes and gets on the PA, "Sorry folks, someone has decided they don't want to fly with us tonight. We're going back to the gate." It was a huge pain. They had to unload nearly all the luggage while they looked for this woman's luggage. We were late to our destination, people missed connecting flights, it was a mess. While most of us didn't hear any commotion, the pilot told me afterwards that the woman had a panic attack and was "freaking out." He just decided to take her back to the gate to avoid further problems.

I've flown a lot over the years, and I've never seen this happen before

This actually happened to us on JetBlue from LAS-BUR back in Sept, and I remember the Pilot get on the PA and ask if someone was on board to help,someone did but by that time someone opened the medical box (not sure the term) and we had to wait for another Box to be delivered before taking off,the whole thing lasted longer then our 40 minute flight home.

Originally Posted by nautilus (Post 20226388)
If it was up me I would have let the woman off the airplane as per what occurred but left her luggage on board. Her luggage could have been returned to her at a later date.

The delay in searching for her luggage afterwards clearly caused further disruption to countless passengers / staff. Or am I being too harsh?

I agree and disagree with you,but I can see both sides to it.

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 20226442)
As someone who has had panic attacks (not on planes thank goodness), no you can't control how or when you react - my problem spot is heights and I work in a tall building.I can't handle being on the 4th floor of a building - unable to breathe, feel like I'm going to pass out, I usually get very quiet as I'm trying to focus and calm myself (doesn't always work).

4th floor? WOW,I am sorry but amazing,I work in a 23 story building.

Originally Posted by pragakhan (Post 20243376)
Never saw the Final Destination movie series have ya?

Hahaha.

Originally Posted by cbn42 (Post 20250409)
I don't think the pilot handled it very well. He should have simply said "we have a medical emergency" rather than "someone has decided they don't want to fly with us tonight".

I agree,but some Pilots like to silly when making a PA announcement that many passengers will make them upset.

Originally Posted by Fireman812 (Post 20274120)
She also received a personalized letter from UA's medical director and a $300 voucher for assisting on the flight.

Awesome!

Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 20274246)
Or, remember that scene in "Airplane!" when they line up to strike/slap the hysterical woman? Yeah. That.

Hahaha. Even nuns were getting into it.

ThriftyWanderer Feb 26, 2013 11:28 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday (Post 20248139)
Exactly the same scenario happened to me
in year 2000 on a CO flight from Brazil to Newark.
It took at least 2 hours to offload the containerized luggage.

We never knew the exact reason for the pax change of heart,
pilot said "passenger doesn't want to go, we dont want him onboard".

In the year 2000, I was on a US Air flight from PHL to FCO. One of the passengers insisted on sitting in the galley with the flight attendants for take-off. He refused to take his assigned seat, so the Pilot announced that we were returning to the gate, and the suspicious passenger and his luggage were removed from the plane.

This caused at least a two hour delay to an already late flight.