Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with solo business travel?

How do you deal with solo business travel?

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I am genuinely curious - why does it bother those of you who have posted that you don't like dining in a restaurant alone?
It doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, I quite enjoy it - time to relax and people watch without having to make conversation. I will take a newspaper or ipad just in case but most of the time, I just sit back and enjoy the atmosphere. I think I am in the minority though, as most people I know hate going to restaurants alone. I actually like it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by littlesheep
One problem is that walking outside in nature is my main form of exercise/relaxation and no matter how much I try, it often doesn't work out when travelling. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and do the treadmill even though the idea is unappealing.
I like walking, too, and while I can't say that I always have opportunities to walk while traveling, I usually do. Often the only challenge is making myself go out, as hibernating in my hotel room is so much easier.

Walk around your client's site at lunch. If they have a nice suburban office park, tour the grounds. If they're in a city, walk around the neighborhood. If it's a huge factory, look for an indoor walking track. One client I worked with years ago had just that-- a network of marked 'trails' inside their mammoth single-story building.

When you walk at lunch, invite your counterparts to join you. Getting them out of the office puts them more at ease in conversation. You'll build stronger relationships and discover business insights.

Walk somewhere for dinner. This is usually easy if you in a bigger city. It's not that much harder in a smaller city, as generally the hotels and restaurants are located close to each other. (If you're returning to the same town repeatedly, try choosing hotels based on proximity to food choices.)

I can't see going out to a restaurant alone at night. I'd feel awful.
If you mean the awkwardness or stigma of eating alone while most other people in the restaurant are coupled up or in groups, I understand. I used to feel that way about going solo to a nicer restaurant. I got over the sting by recognizing that the alternative -- eating alone in my room -- was even less social than being the one loner in a restaurant.

The hitch is understanding that just because you go out alone does not mean you will be alone. Chat up the staff while you're there-- especially the bartender. Conversation's part of their job. Look for other people in the same situation as yourself and talk to them, even if for just 2 minutes about what's on the TV. If all else fails pull out your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or newspaper to entertain yourself. Even if all you do is people-watch, it's more social than sitting in your hotel room.

It's a third of the year spent this way, sort of on hold. I see other people have a better attitude about it.
That's too much of your life to put on hold. Either find a way to make peace with it or a way to change it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I bagan business travel, I decided that if there was an interesting restaurant, I would rather go there alone than not go at all. I enjoy eating alone: I pick the restaurant and time I want, I make a reservation and stress that I want a good table, I dress well for the place, etc. It's fun to people watch and also to watch the waiters and other people's food go by.

Hotel lounges are also good if they're not infested with children. You can have an snack and/or drink and relax, chat a bit with other guests or staff, sometimes watch TV with a group. It seems easier and more comfortable than going to a bar, although many hotel bars (especially open lobby bars with soft seating) are better than outside bars. It's also relaxing without feeling that you're alone in your room. Some lounges have free printers and self-service fax machines which can be productive and helpful.

If I have time, I try to check out museums and other local cultural attractions, although my long hours make it difficult to commit to performances in time to get tickets for stufff I want to see.

If my room has big-screen TV or cable channels I don't receive at home, it can be fun to indulge. If there's a special bathroom, I enjoy a big tub or wonderful shower. When I have time in my schedule, a leisurely morning of reading the newspaper in bed with lots of good coffee is another treat. When I get a marvelous suite upgrade, I sometimes make a game of being sure to sit in every chair. Just enjoying the view, especially at sunrise and sunset, can be relaxing.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:46 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Retired 13 year ago, but spent hundreds of nights in hotels.
Usually walked around town and chose a restaurant to indulge in food.
Walk back to hotel, see Tv and sleep.
Paris, Munich, Lisboa, Singapore, Hong kong and small places such as Stade, Chateauroux.
Discovered a few gems of towns such as Gosslar and nearby Wernigerode
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir
I find myself on Skype a lot in these circumstances. Apart from the regulars, it's a good opportunity to chat to extended family members and more distant friends I otherwise wouldn't call often enough. And if I know people in town I will usually have tipped them off in advance that I will be passing through and keen to meet up, so that they don't get a call from me out of the blue.

Otherwise, in the room: reading, mainly. Outside: any decent local restaurant gives me a better feel for the place, and I take a compact camera with me for the occasional pic, so enjoy just wandering and looking.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think I'm lucky in that my business travel has almost always taken me to interesting places, and I've always been able to insist on staying somewhere interesting within the city (I don't do airport or out-of-town hotels unless it can't be avoided (or it's near a good railway line). While colleagues were travelling to business parks in Birmingham and Irvine, I got to visit Amsterdam, Paris, Warsaw, Krakow, Bratislava, Timisoara, Budapest, Prague, Copenhagen, Oslo, San Diego...

But I've always had to hold on to the insistence that I stay somewhere of my choosing, which may involve a commute to the office. And I prefer this, anyway - my evening time is my own, and a reasonable commute helps separate work time from my time.

Also, as someone whose primary form of transport has two wheels and pedals, I find that cycling is a great way to see a city, particularly one where you have repeat visits. A lot of cities now have great short-term bike hire schemes, and many others, where I spend a lot of time, have plenty second-hand bikes available, so it's easy to keep one there for when I'm over. It's good exercise, gets you out to see all sorts of districts you wouldn't necessarily get out to on foot, and a very enjoyable way to commute to the office with some good local flavour.

I tend to pick a district to explore, particularly as regards food in the evening. This varies between restaurants and markets, depending on accommodation, and I'll normally ask the people I'm working with for recommendations. I do find dining alone a little odd at times, but, well, you're never alone with a good book. And there have been occasions where sitting in the corner with a book, glancing over at what's going on, can be more fun than being in a group (one time in Sarajevo springs to mind!)]

However, I know this is highly dependent on what you need to do while you're travelling, and where you end up going. But, if you can make the effort to finish your work in normal working hours, and stay somewhere interesting, and get out and about (and it often is quite some effort), it's really worth it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh yes, and Skype is wonderful. It makes all the difference being able to see MrsStut every day!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthbimmer

When you walk at lunch...

That's too much of your life to put on hold. Either find a way to make peace with it or a way to change it.
I don't take lunch and can't leave the building for all the hours I'm supposed to be there. Kind of trapped there. I usually plan my trips with this issue in mind, but it never quite works out perfectly. I go to great lengths to walk, trust me.

I agree completely that I need to find a way to change this. I guess that'll be the treadmill for starts. In boots, because I had to choose one, either low walking shoes or boots, and boots were necessary. I'll aim for that tonight while I do laundry, before the shower.

Inspired by this thread I found a musical event I'd like to go to tomorrow, and saw that one museum is open late a few days a week. I'm in a much more culturally interesting place than I usually am. Weather's bad, so who knows, but I'll try.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by leonidas
Eating out alone is a big no no fore me. I hate the idea of sitting alone at a dinner table. I always do room service, no matter how pathetic that is.
How is room service pathetic??? I love sitting in my room and having someone bring food and beverage to me. In fact, room service is one of my favourite things about travelling.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:36 pm

I guess that I am naturally out-going, so making new friends everywhere is always kind of fun for me.
A few things that haven't yet been mentioned.
(1) I moonlight as a professional violinist/violist. I sometimes bring the instrument with me on business travel. Extended trips mean tons and tons of practice time. Sometimes I'll seek out a vacated hotel conference room in the evening so as to minimize the possiblity of annoying other guests in my vicinity.
(2) Lent is upon us. As a Christian, often there is a local fellowship that is in communion with my own Lutheran communion, with midweek Bible Studies, Advent/Lent seasonal services, etc. Lent often means soup suppers. Around the USA and the world for that matter, there are fun variations of these soup suppers, etc. For example, in US Georgia, they really like their pulled pork, pecan pies, etc. In the US Midwest, they really get into home-made soups. In France, they really like their kir receptions on special occasions. In Advent, the Germans really like their mulled wine. In Australia and SE Asia, they really like sharing their seasonal fruit from their gardens, etc. In East Africa, random things happen from influences from everywhere.
(3) Walking, etc has been mentioned. I swim a lot. There are websites like swimmersguide that I check prior to travel to locate pools.
(4) Eating alone isn't a problem for me. I do get really really tired of eating in restaurants all the time though, so I tend to gravitate towards extended stay properties where I can cook for myself. My newly made friends in faraway places, however, often invite me over for meals.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never had a problem eating at a restaurant's bar as a solo business traveler. In big cities, it's actually semi-common...I've met a variety of other travelers doing the same thing. Sushi joints work quite well.

I'm a runner...you can almost always find a group run on a weeknight.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Next time I am in London I think I will make an effort to go see something new... Really got me thinking this thread.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I enjoy eating out on my own whilst on the road. Bring a newspaper, magazine or a good book (electronic or otherwise). Enjoy the food and wine without having to make conveersation, if there are people to be watched, I will, but I never feel self-conscious about people observing me dining on my own. But maybe I'm a bit weird; I also thoroughly enjoy short leisure trips on my own.

Other than working and eating, and exploring if you are in an interesting location and attractions are open, or there are shows or concerts to watch, I find there is an obvious things to occupy myself with. SLEEP! The vast majority of us don't get enough sleep during our working week at home. Most hotels have very comfortable beds and bedrooms. Frankly, I don't sleep between freshly changed sheets every night at home. Let your Lutheran/Catholic/Jewish/Other guilt go, and enjoy your hours of repose. Chances are you have earned them, and you will perform better the next day after a really good night's rest.

Last edited by Passmethesickbag; Feb 11, 2013 at 4:08 pm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:11 am

Traveling alone can be awesome, but only in short time frames. no way could i travel alone longer than 4 days. the longest i've gone was 4 days, and by the end of the 4th day i was seriously missing my friends that i normally travel with, my wife. it was a business trip, but it still sucked.

but seeing a movie, eating at a sit-down restaurant, bars...I can do that alone. restaurants have wifi, no one is paying attention to a loner at a movie (unless you're an old dude at a disney film), and you can make friends at bars.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by topmikey
Traveling alone can be awesome, but only in short time frames. no way could i travel alone longer than 4 days. the longest i've gone was 4 days, and by the end of the 4th day i was seriously missing my friends that i normally travel with, my wife. it was a business trip, but it still sucked.

but seeing a movie, eating at a sit-down restaurant, bars...I can do that alone. restaurants have wifi, no one is paying attention to a loner at a movie (unless you're an old dude at a disney film), and you can make friends at bars.
I did as long as 8 week solo trips prior to being married, and have done innumerable 2-3 week trips in the decade since, and have never found it trying. I think it really depends on the type of person you are. I thoroughly enjoy being alone, although I can be social if absolutely necessary, so evenings alone after spending all day with clients or employees work well with me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.