Wiki Posts
Search

Worst destination you have visited

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:36 pm

Cincinnati, Ohio and pretty much all of Ohio. sorry Ohioans
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Burkina Faso. Just don't.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Caracas.
Loud, violent, dirty, expensive, corrupt and very bad beer.

It's a shame, because most of the rest of Venezuela is so very beautiful.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I have been to some real hell holes. Places people in their right mind would never even remotely consider visiting. That being said I never want to go to Vegas again.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by Gamecock; Feb 6, 2013 at 7:37 pm
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: HHDIA, SPG PLAT, DLDIA

Chicago, the most racist city in America.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:13 pm

Manila - Most corrupt people I have ever met in my life. More corrupt than the Taliban.

And I am Filipino.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Kaliningrad in January. Just no - it's not a tourist destination.

I also detested Ho Chi Minh City, but that was probably partly because on day one I got hit by a car and then scammed out of all my money. Aside from that though, the place is still horrible (in contrast to Hanoi).

I would also not recommend Hartlepool in the UK. It's rather like Blackpool, but with (even) more day drunks and crack users.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Kuala Lumpur. The city struck me as "fur coat, no knickers" in terms of the image it sought to portray vs actual "on the ground" experience. The airport was fantastic, but KL has a long way to come before it becomes a world class city. My recommendations would be an overhaul of traffic controls (I found the pedestrian experience miserable), a far more regulated taxi regime a la Hong Kong (vs cabs which charge what they please), and proper paving. I found the Malaysians friendly enough, but I was sick of being offered a prostitute twice a day or more (the guy hawked, among other places, outside of my hotel, the 5* Crowne Plaza Mutiara). Of course it didn't help that I am a 23 year old single male traveller. Also, I had issues with food hygiene in the city center. I got food poisoning (the week long sudden cramps were more indicative of a parasite than microbial infection), and I had freshness issues with multiple food items. I should say that I might have viewed the city in a more positive light had I not become ill the day after I arrived. However, it was a profound disappointment after Hong Kong (where the food was without fail delicious, hygiene standards blew me away, I loved the MTR, I loved shopping, I enjoyed the temples etc etc etc).
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Have you been recently? The City has undergone a tremendous revitalization in the past few years and actually has quite a bit going on.

It has consistently ranked towards the top of numerous surveys in the last few years for:
- Quality of new architecture and urban design standards;
- Quality of life;
- Suitability for new business formation; etc.

Indeed, the U.S. Conference of Mayors recently held their annual conference in Oklahoma City precisely because so many other cities are attempting to emulate Oklahoma City's success.

I send people from Dallas up there on a regular basis for weekend getaways and they always come back impressed.

I think that says a lot more about Dallas than it says about OK City.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Las Vegas: How does a city that's so much fun always leave me wanting never to return?
This is not the right cause to hate these city, everyone want fun in life and want to be happy in life.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Jakarta: tolerable once you reset your expectations. Try not to breath.

Kuala Lumpur: fairly modern, not filthy, not bad. Again, adjust expectations.

Mumbai: hard time for a westerner. Every Canadian/US citizen should be required to spend a week in Mumbai as a condition of citizenship to get a taste of how well off we really are. Haven't been to Calcutta, but I understand it's worse.

By the way, one thing I've learned in my travels is that you can make almost any city look good in a photo with the right camera angle and scene composition. But you can't smell the photo.
Parterre likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
Las Vegas: How does a city that's so much fun always leave me wanting never to return?
You're going with the wrong people........just got back tonight from visiting Vegas with 3 girlfriends for a 3 night stay. We had so much fun (as usual).
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:42 am

I think the best way to experience Vegas is to see it only after dark. It seems, to me, anyway, a little sad and desperate during the harsh light of day. Especially if you're arriving there.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:54 am

• Normal, Ilinois--it's just sad when even having a university there can't bring anything interesting to your town
  • Tijuana--how many ways can one city be depressing?
  • Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
  • Stockton, California--makes Bakersfield look charming
  • Oceanside, California--Stockton with a beach
  • any one-horse town in West Texas or Arkansas
  • Detroit--a wasteland, with suburbs that are a wasteland of a different kind
  • Brindisi, Italy--go there for the ferry to Greece, preferably to take it within 30 seconds of your arrival

Last edited by fwoomp; Feb 7, 2013 at 2:01 am
Old Feb 7, 2013, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
The only place I don't like is L.A. I liked most other places I've visited in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.