Wiki Posts
Search

Worst destination you have visited

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:51 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cbn42
Oh no, you had to go all the way to the lobby to use the internet?!? Now that makes a place horrible!!
Indeed. Isn't the lack of a signal a GREAT reason to go to places such as Moorea?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:27 pm

My least favorite cities that I've been to: Moscow, Dubai, Sao Paolo and Jakarta.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
If the world needed an enema, I'm sure that the syringe would be inserted in Cairo!

Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Indeed. Isn't the lack of a signal a GREAT reason to go to places such as Moorea?
If you read my previous posts (not really worth the trouble) about disliking Europe, Asia, Africa, the Americas and Australia, and any other islands in the world, you'd realize I'm being gently ironic about this rather silly thread.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Columbus is truly an armpit.

Cincinnati is geographically appealing, but the people have made it unappealing.

Cleveland, I only visited once.
Aside from the Browns (as a native Pittsburgher it's in my blood to hate them :-D), Cleveland is OK. Some interesting architecture, and the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is a fun (if a bit expensive) experience. My only real problem was the second-most aggressive and annoying panhandlers I've ever encountered.

Like others in this thread, I can usually find something to appreciate in every place I've visited, even Detroit (Art-Deco architecture downtown, the old Motown studios). There are only two places where I couldn't find anything...

1. Recife, Brazil-a dirty industrial city with a huge beach full of dirty unswimmable water, a huge shopping mall and not much else.

2. Tangiers, Morocco-Casablanca takes some heat for being boring and chaotic, but at least it has a beautiful mosque and some decent restaurants. Couldn't find much of anything like that here, and wasn't interested in having the most aggressive and annoying panhandlers I've ever encountered "guide" me to anything.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Al Ain, in the Abu Dhabi part of the UAE, embodies the very essence of fleeridden pit in the middle of nowhere
I've had some nice lunches in Al Ain ... but always got back to AD in time for dinner!

I'm one of those optimists that sees the good in everywhere ... but some places I'd find hard to recommend to others would be Atyrau, Uralsk and Aksai in Western Kazakhstan. Boring when they're not violent, although I've had good times in all. Likewise Krasnoyarsk in Siberia. Nothing a jug of honey vodka couldn't cure though.

Pointe Noire and Port Gentil are kinda nice ... for West Africa. Luanda has hopefully improved since the war stopped. Hanover's a bit dull. Slamannan in central belt Scotland is grim and nearby Skinflats ... well the name says it all.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Worst destination you have visited

Have been surprised to not see Cleveland mentioned for domestic locations. Also, no one had mentioned Galveston yet . . .
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by Fish Creek
Chicago, the most racist city in America.
I'm sorry you found it so.. I do not find Chicago that way..

Me: LA.. But I only know the city and airport..
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
A more accurate description of Chicago is segregated not necessarily racist. Very ethic More poles than anyplace except Warsaw and many foreign newspapers radi and tv and great food.

The best big city in the us.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Whatever Detroit's problems (and there are many) it has more character and cultural vibrancy than most American cities. I'd rather spend a weekend in Detroit than, say, Cincinnati or even Houston.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MusicManSamwise
Aside from the Browns (as a native Pittsburgher it's in my blood to hate them :-D), Cleveland is OK. Some interesting architecture, and the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame is a fun (if a bit expensive) experience. My only real problem was the second-most aggressive and annoying panhandlers I've ever encountered.
Don't leave us in suspense. Where were the most annoying? I want to avoid that place!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Augusta, GA
Midland, TX
Philadelphia,PA
Niagra Falls on either side
Welland, ON
Victoria, BC
Welland? Why would anyone go there? Just another dumpy small town. But if you are going to mention towns like that, how about Fort McMurray Alberta. 4 hour drive from Edmonton (hardly the highlight of the western world). Go in winter to make it even more "fun".
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:41 am
Suspended

Belfast--war zone, too religious
Israel--war zone, too religious
Mumbai--smelly, diseased, hot
Tulsa--It's Tulsa
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by mapleg
Welland? Why would anyone go there? Just another dumpy small town. But if you are going to mention towns like that, how about Fort McMurray Alberta. 4 hour drive from Edmonton (hardly the highlight of the western world). Go in winter to make it even more "fun".
That must be the first time Welland,On has been mentioned on FT.

Guess the Rose City didn't come off smelling like a rose then.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:58 am

I've seen Moscow a couple times on these types of lists. I've never been there, but I do want to visit Russia someday. What is so bad about Moscow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.