Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:45 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
before i got status i would hang out in front of a lounge and ask someone to +1 me in. i'm a ~30ish y/o male who dresses nice when he flies, and i find similarly aged and middle aged men will oblige 1/3 times. the other 2/3 they ignore/think i'm scamming them/look down on me/etc. women don't give me time of day, which is standard for me anyways. now that i am *g, i find randoms who look like they have spare time and i offer to +1 them in. again, i'd say 2/5 men i offer are happy and accept, i don't even bother with women because that creepy.

i don't think it's that nobody knows this, but i think a lot of people starting out, or veterans who lack status, lack the gumption to do this. the best analogy for this that i got is that this is like being a mormon on mission: be ready to be told no and get weird looks a lot. lol

Originally Posted by mdkowals
For at least DFW on AA, you can now connect to wifi in flight and the AA app will let you look at food/drink options during a layover, specific to your expected arrival terminal (no charge for airplane wifi if you're just looking at a messaging app or airline app). I'm guessing others (DL,UA) may follow at hubs if not there already.
ua wifi allows access to ua app (which has terminal maps but no food guidance)
and ua.com and ua partner websites like hertz, vacations, etc.
handy when your connection is going to bust and you need to evaluate other options.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
What does "y/o" mean?
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
What does "y/o" mean?
I wondered the same.
Finally figured out that it meant "years old".
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:35 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i learned a new one tonight:

go to any otg concourse "restaurant" (those stupid restaurants that have those stupid ipads at every spot)
take advantage of the fact that the only human interaction is a human bringing you the food (because they haven't invented robots for that yet)
charge your gear
be left alone
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by jg3
so that is where the new plane smell comes from....
And we all thought the smell was just New Jersey...
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:19 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by cur
before i got status i would hang out in front of a lounge and ask someone to +1 me in. i'm a ~30ish y/o male who dresses nice when he flies, and i find similarly aged and middle aged men will oblige 1/3 times. the other 2/3 they ignore/think i'm scamming them/look
Good for you! I would totally 1+ anyone who asked nice and didn't look like a sleazeball.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Lol, I disagree with several of the OP's "tricks", but to each their own. I will start with....Never reserve a compact car, you might end up with one. Always check in again at the airport, better seats might have opened up since you left home. Always check your bags, you will spend less time waiting for them at the end than you will fighting your way through TSA and boarding issues.

Just a couple of things I do:
*Take a plug in air freshener with me, reminds me of home when I get to my hotel room.
*For longer stays in a city, check for hotels packages that include parking. Often for a small upcharge, the package will include parking for all nights, saving a bundle. Example, a recent "Holiday" package was $100 more total, and included the 5 nights of $50 per night parking.
*Text myself room number, parking stall number, wireless access code, etc.
Mr. Style likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Lol, I disagree with several of the OP's "tricks", but to each their own. I will start with....Never reserve a compact car, you might end up with one.
I'm actually amused by the advice, "Rent the smallest class car, probably you'll get a bigger car at no extra charge." First, like you point out, you may actually get a cramped, base-model car of the class you rented. Second, cars of a few sizes up from the smallest usually cost only a bit more than the smallest when reserved in advance. Sometimes the difference between classes is negligible, on the order of $1US per day. Thus my "secret" is to check all car classes when booking and reserve a larger car when cost effective.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I always look at all car classes. I always start with a generic search with no coupon codes in Orbitz...sometimes you'll see a strange outlier. One agency with oddly cheap convertibles, another with an unusual rate for a luxury car, etc. Then go to that agency's site and unleash your stash of CDP/PC/coupon/promo codes to see how good you can get it.

Then, when you're done with that, go place a bid that nets out 25% less all in on Priceline. Get rejected. Know you did well with your own codes.

We have a Hawaii trip in March where the best deal was on a minivan. From Hertz, no less! Wasn't at all what I was looking for, but 4 people in the car...with golf clubs and other luggage...okay, we'll take a minivan.

I never expect free upgrades anymore. Not even with the various rental agency statuses, expedited rental programs, etc. Maybe if you really get to know a location's National Exec Select aisle well...but even then, the one time you really need it could be the time they don't have any big cars ready.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by pinniped
I never expect free upgrades anymore. Not even with the various rental agency statuses, expedited rental programs, etc. Maybe if you really get to know a location's National Exec Select aisle well...but even then, the one time you really need it could be the time they don't have any big cars ready.
pfffffft

<rant><tangent>

I almost always get Avis Preferred upgrades at LAX ... the problem is that work is in El Segundo, hotel is in El Seg or Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo or Torrance, and the number of good sushi and beer places in South Bay keeps growing ... I've reserved a standard or intermediate, and I don't want or need a freakin' minivan or Ford Expedition for my six- or seven-mile trips in the morning and evening ... give me Sirius XM as an upgrade and I'd be really happy, but no, Avis has to give me an upsize

</rant></tangent>
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Mr. Style
I also always try to check in online. I had a flight on a Legacy's regional airline in Billings, MT that I checked in online. By the time I got there and got in the line to get my physical boarding pass they were already telling people who were on the same flight as me and who were in line ahead of me (who had not checked in online) that they missed the check-in window and would not be getting on the flight. They were being told it was the last flight of the day and that they would have to drive to Missoula (many hours away) to catch a flight the next day. It could have been me too!
I've never checked in online.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG PC, Marriott, SWA A-List Preferred with Companion Pass
Originally Posted by jrl767
pfffffft

<rant><tangent>

I almost always get Avis Preferred upgrades at LAX ... the problem is that work is in El Segundo, hotel is in El Seg or Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo or Torrance, and the number of good sushi and beer places in South Bay keeps growing ... I've reserved a standard or intermediate, and I don't want or need a freakin' minivan or Ford Expedition for my six- or seven-mile trips in the morning and evening ... give me Sirius XM as an upgrade and I'd be really happy, but no, Avis has to give me an upsize

</rant></tangent>
If work is paying for it anyway, I would just use Lyft or Uber and forget the rental car, especially when drinking beer. Be sure to try Phuket Thai in Redondo Beach - best Thai i've had anywhere (including Lotus of Siam which is called best in North America)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG PC, Marriott, SWA A-List Preferred with Companion Pass
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Lol, I disagree with several of the OP's "tricks", but to each their own. I will start with....Never reserve a compact car, you might end up with one. Always check in again at the airport, better seats might have opened up since you left home. Always check your bags, you will spend less time waiting for them at the end than you will fighting your way through TSA and boarding issues.

Just a couple of things I do:
*Take a plug in air freshener with me, reminds me of home when I get to my hotel room.
*For longer stays in a city, check for hotels packages that include parking. Often for a small upcharge, the package will include parking for all nights, saving a bundle. Example, a recent "Holiday" package was $100 more total, and included the 5 nights of $50 per night parking.
*Text myself room number, parking stall number, wireless access code, etc.
I take a photo of the inside of the hotel key sleeve that has the room number and Wi-Fi access code on it, so I have it without having to carry that sleeve around that doesn't fit in my wallet. I used to tear it off and shove it in my wallet with my key card, but then if someone stole my wallet, they could get my room too.
BadgerBoi likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by jrl767
pfffffft

<rant><tangent>

This happens to me with Avis all the time at RIC. I'll often book a Luxury sedan or Premium sedan and have ended up with giganto SUVs...my last trip was a GMC Denali, before that a Lincoln Navigator, god knows what I'll get in a couple of weeks! One time I was told my prepaid Ford Edge was not available and I could get a 15 pax van or pay to upgrade to an Explorer. I refused to pay and was expecting to park on city streets so a van was out of the question. I paid for the Explorer then got a manager to refund the upgrade at the end of the rental.

I travel solo with no clients and usually end up taking coworkers out for lunch just to feel I'm getting use out of it!

Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
^ Agree. I used to think I was accomplishing something when I was able to travel on a 4 week trip and jam everything into a carry-on. Got tired of the hassle of dragging it around airports, of the clothes getting worn out, or a wide assortment of problems. I check luggage on every flight now. I only carry on my computer and whatever I need to use on the flight. I wait an extra 10 minutes on the average for my bags. Much easier.
I too used to swear by keeping my luggage with me and NEVER checking it. To me, it was only another line to stand in, and another at he other end waiting for the bags. Internationally or with connections, it was also safer. If there is a cancellation or major delay, at least I would have clean clothes with me.

But more recently I have changed my opinion on this. With the insane struggle for bin space and the poorsies poaching F bins as they head back to third class, it is just easier to check it. I am in less of a hurry than I used to be and it is much easier to get around the airport with just the carry on. Another 10 minutes at bag claim on the other end is no biggie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.