Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your favorite travel "secret" that other flyertalk members don't know?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Mr. Style
I take a photo of the inside of the hotel key sleeve that has the room number and Wi-Fi access code on it, so I have it without having to carry that sleeve around that doesn't fit in my wallet. I used to tear it off and shove it in my wallet with my key card, but then if someone stole my wallet, they could get my room too.
I take a pic of my valet parking stub as I always lose it. I take pics of parking garage levels or colours and If I go to a new place such as a shop near the taxi rank I take a snap.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I too used to swear by keeping my luggage with me and NEVER checking it. To me, it was only another line to stand in, and another at he other end waiting for the bags. Internationally or with connections, it was also safer. If there is a cancellation or major delay, at least I would have clean clothes with me.

But more recently I have changed my opinion on this. With the insane struggle for bin space and the poorsies poaching F bins as they head back to third class, it is just easier to check it. I am in less of a hurry than I used to be and it is much easier to get around the airport with just the carry on. Another 10 minutes at bag claim on the other end is no biggie.
Agree. I'm also a lot more confident now that my bag will show up than in decades past. In fact, I think it's been almost ten years since I last didn't have one show up. Used to be such a recurring issue for me back in the 80's/90's that it became a standing joke among family members.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:40 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Agree. I'm also a lot more confident now that my bag will show up than in decades past. In fact, I think it's been almost ten years since I last didn't have one show up. Used to be such a recurring issue for me back in the 80's/90's that it became a standing joke among family members.
I'm always crossing my fingers that my bag will be late so I can get some bonus miles from Alaska. Hahah
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I take a pic of my valet parking stub as I always lose it. I take pics of parking garage levels or colours and If I go to a new place such as a shop near the taxi rank I take a snap.
I take a pic of the location marker when I self park at the airport so I don't forget.

Back before smartphones I once had to search a parking garage for my rental car - I'd forgotten where I'd parked and it didn't even have a remote fob to make noise. To make it worse, it was a garage where you pay at a kiosk and then have a limited time to get out.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
As someone else mentioned, an extension cord w/ 3 outlets on the end is a must have to carry with you for motels. ANd have a 2 prong to 3 prong adapter on it too.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Although against the official rules at most airports, you can catch a taxi on the departure level when you arrive and skip the long taxi lines. Just get in one when someone gets out.

If the driver takes you, it's all their risk with regards to the regulations and they obviously agreed to take that risk. I have yet to have a cabbie refuse me on the departures curb when I come up from arrivals. I have a feeling it is one rule that is not policed very hard.

This is a particularly useful trick at airports with frequently huge taxi lines, like LAS and MCO, or where the UBER/Lyft pick ups are too far away or hard to find like at SAN.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I know it is horribly wasteful, but if I have a bunch of clothes that need ironing I will hang them all up in the bathroom, turn the shower on full hot, and close the door.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Insulator-King
As someone else mentioned, an extension cord w/ 3 outlets on the end is a must have to carry with you for motels. ANd have a 2 prong to 3 prong adapter on it too.
Absolutely - I keep those items along with converter plugs in an amenity kit bag.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I know it is horribly wasteful, but if I have a bunch of clothes that need ironing I will hang them all up in the bathroom, turn the shower on full hot, and close the door.
check the tub drain first, to make sure Housekeeping hasn’t left it closed ... just sayin’
tatterdema likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andyh64000
I feel guilty doing this just for my clothes, but when necessary I'll hang my shirts in there *while* I shower.

And if that shower is a little hot and a little long, I don't feel quite so guilty. It was for the shirts.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: Independent
I have in the past taken a couple of large suitcases full of clothes with me for a two night stay in Orlando.I happened to be staying at one of those vacation homes that had a washer and dryer, and that was far more convenient than going to the laundromat back home the night before my flight.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Cloudship
I have in the past taken a couple of large suitcases full of clothes with me for a two night stay in Orlando.I happened to be staying at one of those vacation homes that had a washer and dryer, and that was far more convenient than going to the laundromat back home the night before my flight.
In Asia where laundry can be dirt cheap, I get everything washed on the last day so I head home with 95% clean clothes.
BadgerBoi and goodeats21 like this.

Last edited by Annalisa12; Feb 1, 2018 at 1:09 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Style
  • A starbucks gift card can be reloaded automatically so you get CC points + a free drinks for every 12 my company reimburses me for as a travel expense
If you're using a company credit card to do that it can easily be seen as fraud. Whatever pittance you get there is usually not worth it.

As for other travel secrets, why would anyone want to share them. Want to stop something from working? Share it online with everyone.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:09 am

I am convinced that most lost baggage goes astray because the airline tag has been ripped off during handling (the fact that those bags that finally catch up with you have tags attached doesn't necessarily mean they are the original ones).
On our bags I always put my own very sturdy luggage label that includes as well as name, the flight number, to and from airport codes and date of flight..
It paid off a couple of years ago while in transit in Frankfurt when, at the gate I was asked to identify a mobile phone image of my tag-less suitcase, which was then able to accompany me on the same flight.
Had those flight details not been immediately available to the baggage controller , I'm sure my bag would have joined all the others on the 'we'll deal with those later' pile of tag-less lost bags.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That "First Defence" nasal spray that you get for when you start to see the signs of a cold, or indeed the nasal blocker sprays you get for hay fever season - both of these are great as preventative measures for air travel. Could be in my head, but I used to get every strain of cold going when flying, especially long-haul, and this has significantly diminished since someone suggested this to me.

I always assume water can and will get into anything I pack, so treat its contents accordingly. I usually pack things inside plastic bags (just shopping bags) which has the added benefit of keeping them nicely folded and categorised (and easily pre-packable). This has saved me from soggy clothes on a number of occasions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.