Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who here straightens up their room before checkout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP

Am I the only one who straightens up their room before checkout? I'm not talking an Alice from the Brady Bunch cleaning (wiping counters, making beds, etc.), I'm talking putting towels in one place (the tub for me), putting trash in the can, putting the remote in front of the tv, stacking newspapers somewhere, etc.

The thing Is, I'm a semi-slob at home. However, I find myself straightening up when in a hotel. If I did this at home, my wife would probably wonder what the hell is going on. Am I nuts?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
That cracks me up. My wife always asks "why do you always keep things in place at hotels and not at our home?"
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't straighten up, but I do similar activities to make sure I don't leave anything behind.

- Towels are shaken over the tub to make sure no renegade clothing items are tangled inside.
- Look under the top sheet and duvet, again looking for items (I have realized that my ipod was still in the bed once)I then pull up the sheet.
-I look through the pile of receipts/papers for anything important and ditch the stuff I don't need.
-Newspaper. I don't read the hard copy. I generally just pick up the paper at the door on my way out and drop it on the hallway table next to the elevator.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Yes, aside from not making the bed, you'd never know I was even in the room
Old Jan 17, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Yes, my mom taught me not to live in a pigsty! I think it's funny sometimes when I walk down hall and happen to glance in rooms the maids are cleaning and I wonder who in the world would leave a mess like that in their room. Like others I won't even consider making the bed but I do make sure my mess is picked up and most things are in a certain place.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:17 pm

Yup. We tidy up.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
I make sure all the trash is in the cans and try to throw towels in one spot just to help out the cleaning crew.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
A little bit - more so when I'm traveling with the mrs
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Depends entirely on my mood at the time
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:45 pm

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
We always clean up the room

I make sure the trash is in the cans, bed is stripped, comforter folded on top of bed, and towels are in the pile with the linens. Always leave a tip too.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
... yea and then after straightening up the room, I dig in my wallet to leave a tip!

Then... I get home, put my bags on the floor and throw my coat over the chair and my wife starts yelling at me (in a nice way) to put my stuff away! What the hell is wrong with this picture?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
I don't only straighten up before checking out, I leave the room clean every day and even on a cruiseship I straighten the cabin before leaving. Just my OCD.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I do too. I thought I was the only one. I fold towels and pile them up on the counter (imagine having to bend over all day long). Put most trash in one bin. Wipe down the counter. And put remote control away.

Being a maid is a hard job.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Only before check out? My room is camera-ready at all times just like my mother's house !

It's starts when I arrive and put all the ads and extraneous clutter away, so actually I improve the appearance of the room from the start.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I toss any marketing material lying around. If they want to pay me to read their ads they can discount the room. Otherwise, let them replace it. Anything with prepaid postage goes blank into the mail.

The cleaning crew are paid by the hour. Doing their work only means they get assigned more rooms, not that their life is easier. I don't do the cleaners' work, but I'm appreciative with a decent tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.