FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Who here straightens up their room before checkout? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1428932-who-here-straightens-up-their-room-before-checkout.html)

jb3t Jan 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Who here straightens up their room before checkout?

Am I the only one who straightens up their room before checkout? I'm not talking an Alice from the Brady Bunch cleaning (wiping counters, making beds, etc.), I'm talking putting towels in one place (the tub for me), putting trash in the can, putting the remote in front of the tv, stacking newspapers somewhere, etc.

The thing Is, I'm a semi-slob at home. However, I find myself straightening up when in a hotel. If I did this at home, my wife would probably wonder what the hell is going on. Am I nuts?

LovetoTravel83 Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm

That cracks me up. My wife always asks "why do you always keep things in place at hotels and not at our home?"

prncess674 Jan 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I don't straighten up, but I do similar activities to make sure I don't leave anything behind.

- Towels are shaken over the tub to make sure no renegade clothing items are tangled inside.
- Look under the top sheet and duvet, again looking for items (I have realized that my ipod was still in the bed once)I then pull up the sheet.
-I look through the pile of receipts/papers for anything important and ditch the stuff I don't need.
-Newspaper. I don't read the hard copy. I generally just pick up the paper at the door on my way out and drop it on the hallway table next to the elevator.

sfozrhfco Jan 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Yes, aside from not making the bed, you'd never know I was even in the room:)

christianj Jan 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Yes, my mom taught me not to live in a pigsty! I think it's funny sometimes when I walk down hall and happen to glance in rooms the maids are cleaning and I wonder who in the world would leave a mess like that in their room. Like others I won't even consider making the bed but I do make sure my mess is picked up and most things are in a certain place.

carzin Jan 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Yup. We tidy up.

millere2 Jan 17, 2013 2:24 pm

I make sure all the trash is in the cans and try to throw towels in one spot just to help out the cleaning crew.

milesmuncher Jan 17, 2013 2:40 pm

A little bit - more so when I'm traveling with the mrs :)

Mauibaby2008 Jan 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Who here straightens up their room before checkout?

Depends entirely on my mood at the time ;)

ttervooren Jan 17, 2013 2:45 pm

We always clean up the room

I make sure the trash is in the cans, bed is stripped, comforter folded on top of bed, and towels are in the pile with the linens. Always leave a tip too.

jb3t Jan 17, 2013 2:48 pm

... yea and then after straightening up the room, I dig in my wallet to leave a tip!

Then... I get home, put my bags on the floor and throw my coat over the chair and my wife starts yelling at me (in a nice way) to put my stuff away! What the hell is wrong with this picture?

ontheway Jan 17, 2013 2:55 pm

I don't only straighten up before checking out, I leave the room clean every day and even on a cruiseship I straighten the cabin before leaving. Just my OCD.

adamak Jan 17, 2013 3:10 pm

I do too. I thought I was the only one. I fold towels and pile them up on the counter (imagine having to bend over all day long). Put most trash in one bin. Wipe down the counter. And put remote control away.

Being a maid is a hard job.

phlashba Jan 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Only before check out? My room is camera-ready at all times just like my mother's house :eek::eek::eek:!

It's starts when I arrive and put all the ads and extraneous clutter away, so actually I improve the appearance of the room from the start. :o

Often1 Jan 17, 2013 3:19 pm

I toss any marketing material lying around. If they want to pay me to read their ads they can discount the room. Otherwise, let them replace it. Anything with prepaid postage goes blank into the mail.

The cleaning crew are paid by the hour. Doing their work only means they get assigned more rooms, not that their life is easier. I don't do the cleaners' work, but I'm appreciative with a decent tip.