Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Who here straightens up their room before checkout?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here straightens up their room before checkout?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:59 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I am much more organized and clean in a hotel room than I am at home. Towels always go in the tub or hung up, trash is always in the trash bin, clothes are always neatly stowed (even the dirty ones) if I actually unpack, and the desk is kept tidy when I'm using it. Leaving the room it's usually in pretty good shape and rather tidy. I'm the same way on the plane - compared to the seats around me, mine looks unused at times (referring to long-haul flights, that is).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:24 pm

Not only the hotel room...

I generally leave the hotel room pretty much straightened out -- trash neatly piled on the trash can, towels hung up or in tub, desktops cleared, etc.

But, where I am really good is on the plane after I use the toilet. The luckiest pax is the one who uses the toilet after me. I not only wipe clean the basin, but also the small countertop, sometimes even wipe clean the faucet, push all the waste paper deep into the waste paper receptacle, throw some paper towels on the floor and use my shoes to wipe the floor dry, flush the toilet again, put the cover down, and if wet, wipe it dry. If there's spray perfume, I sometimes even spray some into the toilet bowl.

Why I do this is beyond me. I guess it's that I'm hopeful others will do the same before I use the plane's toilet.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I don't have a housekeeper at home, so I am constantly trying to keep things clean and organized.

On the other hand, at a hotel, I feel as if I am paying for someone to clean up after me, so I don't have to. It's one of the reasons I enjoy vacationing at 5* hotels: It's a break from housework, too. So, I would never think about straightening my room before checkout.

Now, I have a friend who does have a housekeeper, and yet every day he is cleaning his home -- which is what I thought he pays his housekeeper to do!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tangoll
But, where I am really good is on the plane after I use the toilet. The luckiest pax is the one who uses the toilet after me. I not only wipe clean the basin, but also the small countertop, sometimes even wipe clean the faucet, push all the waste paper deep into the waste paper receptacle, throw some paper towels on the floor and use my shoes to wipe the floor dry, flush the toilet again, put the cover down, and if wet, wipe it dry. If there's spray perfume, I sometimes even spray some into the toilet bowl.
Sounds frustrating for the other passengers waiting to use the lav to do normal stuff
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tangoll
I generally leave the hotel room pretty much straightened out -- trash neatly piled on the trash can, towels hung up or in tub, desktops cleared, etc.

Why I do this is beyond me. I guess it's that I'm hopeful others will do the same before I use the plane's toilet.
Hopefully you pick up the paper towels. ;
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:33 pm

Within reason.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: IC RA
I guess I never really gave any thought to the subject until reading this thread. I too am always sure to pile up towels on the bathroom floor. Sometimes I'll even go as far as putting the garbage cans next to each other by the front door.

I'm not even sure why or where the habit developed from. I'd imagine that part of it is not wanting to be perceived as a messy by someone.

I choose to tip on a daily basis.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
As I've gotten older, it seems to me that hotel/motel rooms are dimmer than in the past so I am very careful with my stuff and keeping things tidy.

I actually have a reminder list in my iPhone for critical items like charging cords, etc.

As I tend to have repeat stays in the same hotels/motels, I like to have a goo repuation with hotel staff.

And I can't stand a mess.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan,Delta Skymiles, Avion
I leave a $2 tip each day, garbage in cans & dirtytowels all together on the floor.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I do a quick tidy. Pull the bedclothes up and throw all the used towels in a corner on the floor or over the edge of the tub.

Never anything else that needs doing: any trash I generate goes into the trash can straightaway.

A friend and I stayed in the same hotel for 9 days in Berlin last fall. Each day we pulled the duvets up before we went out and left our folded nightwear on top of the pillow (just didn't want housekeeping to accidentally grab it with the bed linens).

Each afternoon we came back to find the linens changed, room tidied, and our bedclothes tucked neatly under our pillows.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jb3t
putting towels in one place
putting trash in the can
putting the remote in front of the tv
stacking newspapers
towels - left out of way, never moved
trash - put in can to begin with
all paper incl newspapers - in trash
remote - NOT specifically "put away"
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
towels - left out of way, never moved
trash - put in can to begin with
all paper incl newspapers - in trash
remote - NOT specifically "put away"
+1. I really never thought about it until yesterday when I was about to leave a hotel in SEA. After reading this post, I realized I do exactly what Kage does.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:34 am

When I leave, the rooms needs tidying up, but isn't messy. Trash is in the trash can, towels on the floor if they were used, but out of the way. I always check under the bed to see if I've left anything, so the comforter is sometimes flipped up on the bed.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
I cover the spots on the wall with the same can of white spray paint I used on the rent-a-car. Saves having to buy an extra can.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:19 am
Suspended

No. That's what they pay the maid for.

Still, I don't live like a slob to start with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.