Reload this Page >

Are you comfortable flying the 787?

Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:30 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt

Lots of safety issues with the 787 in the past few weeks. Is this something we should worry about? I was hoping to experience the new aircraft soon, but for now I am avoiding it, in favour of the older models for which the problems have been worked out...

What do you all think?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:34 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Actually, no. I want to see how it handles lightening strikes.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by arisaa
Actually, no. I want to see how it handles lightening strikes.
It's been hit by lightening in flight IIRC, and survived just fine.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:14 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
The only thing I'd be uncomfortable with is knowing that there is a higher chance of plane substitution (+ possible delays).

Having said that the A380 remains the best thing out there, though of course it is not the same type of aircraft as the much smaller 787.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
These are just teething issues that every new aircraft goes through. I've flown the 787 before and I would again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do so like I did before (I took an indirect routing specifically to get on the 787).

From what I can recall when the A380 was newer there was some safety equipment (the inflatable slide or something like that) that had to be replaced really often (something like every 3 flights) because it wasn't designed correctly.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I would love to fly on the 787 & wouldn't think twice.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:51 am

Yes, Im completely comfortable flying on a 787 if given the chance. I don't believe there has ever been a new airplane manufactured that didn't have problems in the beginning. This airplane was under a lot of scrutiny before it even went into service. Id bet if one, non essential bolt came off a wheel hub, the media would hop all over it. No need to panic.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Yes, I was on the first UA flight IAH-ORD, great ride.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I flew the UA 787 shortly after they had a diversion to MSY. Feel just as comfortable flying that plane as any other jet.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'd feel perfectly comfortable on the 787 - in fact, if the recent problems causes prices to drop on 787 routes, I'd probably try to book a flight to take advantage of the price break.

Downside, as another poster mentioned, is that a different aircraft might get subbed for the 787 and I'd end up in a cr*p seat.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 1:29 pm

It depends. Am I in First or Coach?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
My only concern is based around the idea that Boeing are putting too much tech in combination that they aren't familiar with, as in the parts are proven, but not in combination when manufactured by Boeing specifically. I have this vague feeling it's going to "do a Comet" and start falling apart in the sky when airframes start hitting the ~5-10 year mark.

But then, I have no practical experience of airframe design and irrational & unfounded fear is like that. I fully intend to grab a flight on one at some stage this year.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by NFeldberg
Yes, Im completely comfortable flying on a 787 if given the chance. I don't believe there has ever been a new airplane manufactured that didn't have problems in the beginning. This airplane was under a lot of scrutiny before it even went into service. Id bet if one, non essential bolt came off a wheel hub, the media would hop all over it. No need to panic.
+1

I seem to remember some rather widely noted (but now almost forgotten) problems with the A380.

And I was surprised to read somewhere that the first 747's were plagued with a serious of problems.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:17 pm
hmv

Let me ask you, do you feel unsafe flying the 777 as well?
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-upkeep-11562/

Between its introduction in 1995 and now, only 2 airplanes were written off, the BA at LHR and an MS (Egyptair) at CAI, but no fatalities. The problem with the 787 is the fact that media has more ways to get information about such events, because everyone is able to make pictures, share stories on facebook/twitter/instagram etc. Remember the Qantas-period after a serious incident, the media started reporting on all precautionary landings.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As mentioned above, these are teething problems and are nothing to worry about. I would fly it without hesitation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.