Wiki Posts
Search

Are you comfortable flying the 787?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mtndave47
I wonder if its really the battery due to the faulty electrical power panel which caught on fire in the test flight and wiring issues, that can cause irregular voltage to the batteries. Originally, I was hesitant to fly this bird then booked an award NH flight SEA-NRT in June but these incidents are making me nervous.
Good point, the problem may be faulty electrical that trashes the batteries. I still wouldn't hesitate to fly the plane.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Increased chances for an upgrade?

Wife is nervous and wants me to re-book, but I am ok. Hoping for light booking on UA 58 on 3/17 so I will get an upgrade to BF - on the waiting list (as usual...). Last few times, the upgrade has not cleared.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Ah, OK, so you meant outsourcing in general--as in the components of the plane. I thought that by saying that they should've kept all manufacturing in Seattle that you were saying opening a new plant in SC was to blame. Apologies.
I can never keep track of the new versions of an existing model, but Boeing did make a decision a while back to reverse course.

The 787 was deliberately planned as a distributed, global effort - part of a larger move to reduce the US Boeing footprint to engineers and assembly plants (large component assembly - fuselage, wings, etc.) This was expected to result in significant savings (qualified, experience machinists, for example, are expensive, and Boeing hoped to get out of manufacturing entirely and focus on design and final assembly).

A lot more work is being brought back to the US/in house for the new models of existing planes as a result of the problems with the 787 that caused so many of the delays and rework.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:23 pm

Heres what went where. I have no idea where they outsourced the electronic components.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Aeroplan
I think it is funny that the Japanese air carriers are reporting most of the issues and had the most incidents while United only had about 2 diversions.
But taking with a grain of salt, most of the United 787s are domestic routes as well as United's distance from Boeing headquarters, which moved to Chicago and not too far from manufacturing in Washington State. So issues can be easily fixed because of proximity.
I would fly domestically on a 787, but since when do I even fly domestically? I haven't been on a domestic flight since my sophomore year of high school (and I am currently a junior in college!), but not so much international. I do only fly to Sydney, AU and currently no 787 is operated on any Sydney routes in the United States.
NFeldburg- great diagram, now I don't have to get my operations management textbook to talk about the components! (Saw it in there while reading my book.)
I forgot the engine issues in the Rolls Royce during the A380 hoo-ha. And yes, every plane will have major issues that will be ironed out.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I flew a JAL 787 a couple months ago and was terribly uncomfortable. They could make the plane out of solid gold, but a seat with 31" pitch is still a seat with 31" pitch.

Safety concerns? No. None of these minors issues bothers me. As someone else upthread suggests, I might have a minor concern about swaps or delays on any new airframe.

One of these days, I'd love to fly the plane in J and be comfortable enough to actually enjoy the larger windows, newest IFE offerings, probably better food, etc.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I flew a JAL 787 a couple months ago and was terribly uncomfortable. They could make the plane out of solid gold, but a seat with 31" pitch is still a seat with 31" pitch.

Safety concerns? No. None of these minors issues bothers me. As someone else upthread suggests, I might have a minor concern about swaps or delays on any new airframe.

One of these days, I'd love to fly the plane in J and be comfortable enough to actually enjoy the larger windows, newest IFE offerings, probably better food, etc.
I flew it in J (NRT-BOS), and it still wasn't all that comfortable (angled seats).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
FAA grounded all 787s this evening.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
FAA grounded all 787s this evening.
Domestic carriers (UA). They don't have authority elsewhere.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by KurtVH
I thought they also have jurisdiction over foreign carriers flying routes that touch the US ...? Or am I thinking of other aviation regulatory bodies?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:21 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by amolkold
I thought they also have jurisdiction over foreign carriers flying routes that touch the US ...? Or am I thinking of other aviation regulatory bodies?
I don't think so but don't know for sure. However, I think many/most/maybe all foreign carriers do/will follow the FAAs lead, so it's probably moot anyway.

Last edited by KurtVH; Jan 20, 2013 at 8:54 am
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I just booked JAL SIN-NRT-ORD in J, I honestly thought it was a 767 on the SIN-NRT route as it had been for a long time but noticed it's a 787 after I booked.

Not worried enough to make me change my flight; I guess I'm more interested to fly on a 787 at the moment, assuming the JAL 787s are back in the air by March when I'm due to fly.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
I wouldn't hesitate to fly a 787. My only worry is a potential equipment sub.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It was expanded tonight to include Europe, Japan and India as well. From Reuters:

"(Reuters) - Europe, Japan and India joined the United States in grounding Boeing Co's 787, a day after a second incident involving battery failure caused one of the Dreamliner passenger jets to make an emergency landing.

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said on Wednesday it would temporarily ground Boeing's newest commercial airliner and insisted airlines would have to demonstrate the lithium ion batteries were safe before they could resume flying. It gave no details on when that might happen."
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:44 am

It would appear they do.

"When the FAA issues an airworthiness directive civil aviation and airlines around the world have to follow the FAA airworthiness directive, particularly in regards to the 787 because it a US-designed and developed aircraft," he told the BBC
Source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21054089

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.