Are you comfortable flying the 787?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are you comfortable flying the 787?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am also flying on this airplane for the first time in a couple of weeks transpacific. I am rather looking forward to it
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
100% yes.

I flew, IAH-DEN or it might've been DEN-SFO I can't remember.

I was comfortable then, it wasn't long after the problems started if I recall. I figure if I'm gonna go down it might as well be in a blaze of glory.

On a similar note...Aires had a crash in FLL a few years ago, bought a ticket the next day because the price was right . No problems!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Another report of a report...

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...ut-mid-flight/

And this...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-33985615
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
And to the FAA's current intention: ^.

Up to this point, the line of reasoning (and case) has been that there is so much that's combustible inside, and the aluminum skin is so thin, that any fire would be so bad that the difference between an aluminum skin and a composite one is inconsequential. But no one knows this, at least not publicly, that I am aware of.

^ to a test program.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:51 pm

I am more concerned about the bean counters at Boeing than any individual plane.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I am, but I try to limit my flights on them. Due to the carbon composite material due to produce the fuselage and also because of the fact the 787 flies higher, more radiation is absorbed by the body as a result.

I do try not to be on this bird anymore though, as much as I love it. Given the amount of flying I do, I try to watch this now...
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I am, but I try to limit my flights on them. Due to the carbon composite material due to produce the fuselage and also because of the fact the 787 flies higher, more radiation is absorbed by the body as a result.

I do try not to be on this bird anymore though, as much as I love it. Given the amount of flying I do, I try to watch this now...
You may be interested in this study of air crews

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12862322

This large study, based on reliable cancer incidence data, showed an increased incidence of skin cancer (10 more than expected out of a survey 10,211). It did not indicate a marked increase in cancer risk attributable to cosmic radiation although some influence of cosmic radiation on skin cancer cannot be entirely excluded.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Worcester
You may be interested in this study of air crews

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12862322
I was referring to the unique fact the 787 flies higher and does not have an aluminum tube......

I don't see how this study addresses that point
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

Man, I wish my life was so worry-free that I could be concerned about something so trivial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.