Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever cut their hand on a plane?

Old Jan 14, 13, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle

I flew ORD-MUC on January 12th, flight 906 in Business First, seat 8H.

I got up to use the rest room midway through the flight and upon returning to my seat, my hand was hurting so I turned the light on and saw that it was sliced, like a big paper cut in two different places, directly above one another. I never felt it and don't know where it came from, possibly the dining tray or the metal handle entering the bathroom? I checked my wine glass and it was fine.

Has anyone else ever been cut?

I didn't want the FA to open the first aid kit, so she gave me vodka to clean it
Old Jan 14, 13, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by 91StealthES View Post
Randomly I had a US flight divert last week because a guy cut his hand/wirst and was bleeding like a stuck pig.

... not sure if it was intentional or not. It was a USX CRJ-65.
Old Jan 14, 13, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
I have had paper cuts that were bleeding like mad many times.
Old Jan 14, 13, 12:47 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by belynch:20044357
Randomly I had a US flight divert last week because a guy cut his hand/wirst and was bleeding like a stuck pig.

... not sure if it was intentional or not. It was a USX CRJ-65.
Riding on a CRJ will drive a man to extreme measures to get off!

I haven't had it happen on a plane, but it doesn't surprise me...I seem to get random cuts like that sometimes, and not able to figure out what caused it.
Old Jan 14, 13, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
- Airline magazine if you are careless with it could do this.
- A sharp edge appearing on a piece of metal that has dented out of shape a little ... i.e. belt buckle that was slammed hard into the armrest (unlikely though)
- Your metallic frequent flyer card that you just got and were playing with whilst boarding / pre-boarding.

Either way ... you might want to consider getting a preventative Tetanus shot.
Old Jan 14, 13, 3:02 pm

I thought this forum was for discussing frequent flyer issues
Old Jan 14, 13, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by adambrau View Post
I thought this forum was for discussing frequent flyer issues
"If it's a travel topic worth talking about, it's likely in this forum. (non-frequent flyer program travel)"

I once cut my hand checking out some nicks on my old Cessna 172 propeller.
Old Jan 14, 13, 4:55 pm

I'm guessing the OP cut their hand while asleep. I mean if you sliced your hand and were awake one would imagine feeling it, here it is a complete mystery. But honestly, do we need to know every time someone bumps their leg or their nuts aren't warm. Ten years ago this forum had some really valuable information, somedays I feel I am reading the National Enquirer.
Old Jan 14, 13, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
I keep a couple band-aids and wipes in my carry on for just such events. They don't take up much room. Vodka is for drinking, which is far more important than cleaning a wound.
Old Jan 15, 13, 2:38 am

I didn't want the FA to open the first aid kit
Why not? Isn't this exactly what it is there for?
Old Jan 15, 13, 2:54 am

Programs: SW CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, National EE, Hertz 5*
No, but I had woke up from a nap on a CDG-MRS flight with a huge cut on my leg once.
Either the FA stabbed me in my sleep or the cart cut my leg when it came by.
Ended up having to wrap a sock around my leg to handle the bleeding and wait until I got to the hostel to get it handled.
AF FA did nothing on the plane and staff were not very helpful, but that's about what i expect from Air France.
Old Jan 15, 13, 5:38 am

Programs: AA DULtArer
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
Why not? Isn't this exactly what it is there for?
5USD charge, waived for GS status.
Old Jan 15, 13, 6:06 am
Suspended

I once had a pant leg cut by a screw in the seat.
Old Jan 17, 13, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks for the responses everyone. My point in posting was to see if anyone else had cut themselves similarly and knew what caused it.

Here are my responses to some of the feedback above:

RAJSH - Unfortunately, it wasn't a magazine, and if a magazine could give me a cut like this, I don't think I would handle another magazine. I agree that it had to be something metal. I originally assume the bathroom metal handle upon my pushing it open to enter, but your suggestion of the seatbelt is a possibility as well. I think a Tetanus shot shot may be overkill, but I'll let you know if I die

ADAMBRAU - I wasn't complaining or looking for compensation. I just want to figure out what cut me. I don't understand how I could have cut myself in my sleep. I just wanted to figure out what cut me and if others had anything similar happen. Sorry if my inquiry is rubish to you.

B747-437B - Because then the FA would need to log it, replace the kit, etc. for a but that wasn't bleeding badly, Vodka can clean the wound just fine and I can use paper towels to stop the bleeding. All the first aid kit would supply me with would be an alchohol swab and bandaid, so not worth opening it in my opinion.

SKYVANMAN - That's horrible. I have been hit with the carts, but a sharp edge and enough force to cut you that badly is ridiculous especially without recognition from the crew.

LaserSailor - Interesting, I never knew that. They gave me $6 (well free, since I was in BF) to clean it with Vodka.
Old Jan 17, 13, 8:04 am

B747-437B - Because then the FA would need to log it, replace the kit, etc. for a but that wasn't bleeding badly, Vodka can clean the wound just fine and I can use paper towels to stop the bleeding. All the first aid kit would supply me with would be an alchohol swab and bandaid, so not worth opening it in my opinion.
I beg to disagree. If the cut occurred due to unknown reasons, its possible that someone else would have a similar issue. Documenting your incident would create a paper trail that might enable someone to troubleshoot a potential problem with the seat or whatever was a root cause of the injury.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: