FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Plan to miss the last segment of my flight. Is it allowed? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1427034-plan-miss-last-segment-my-flight-allowed.html)

kshitijalk Jan 12, 13 3:02 pm

Plan to miss the last segment of my flight. Is it allowed?
 
Hi,

I have a booking of DELHI - Munich - SFO and return journey of SFO - Munich - Delhi. There is a change of aircraft at Munich during the transit. While returning from SFO, I plan to end my journey at Munich instead of Delhi, with valid Schengen visa and personal return bookings.

Can anyone please confirm that while checking in at SFO for my return journey, would I be allowed to check-in only for partial journey uptil Munich and end my journey in Munich instead of New Delhi, with possession of valid Schengen Visa.

I need to apply for the visa and to do the bookings for my stay and travel in Europe, so an early confirmation on this would be really helpful.

Thanks.

number_6 Jan 12, 13 4:05 pm

It is not allowed on almost all tickets. Most agents will not short-check bags and this is enforced by the computer systems of most airlines. The airlines do this because invariably the ticket without the last sector costs much more, so they are losing revenue. Technically the airline can recompute the fare and charge you retroactively if you miss the last sector, but in practice this rarely happens. More practically, you'll have to travel with carry-on bags only as any checked bags will go to Delhi if you choose to do this.

Often1 Jan 12, 13 4:54 pm

Above and beyond not being allowed to short-check bags, OP will be manifested as a transit pax. When he shows up for admission, this will set off alarm bells and there will ensue a messy security issue between immigration, the carrier & OP. In the end, as a visitor, he may well be refused admission.

Change the ticket, pay the difference and be done with it.

cornell Jan 13, 13 12:47 am

Would the same issue occur if a flight were missed and someone were manifested as a transit pax? Couple years ago I missed a connection at CDG to ATL and passed through immigration to get a quicker resolution at the Air France ticketing office. No issues. When younger I also entered Germany while waiting for a connecting flight just to get the stamp and say I had "been" there. Yeah I know, kinda pointless, but I was young and dumb just like everyone else. I told the immigration officer what I was doing and had no issues.

pinworm Jan 13, 13 12:59 am

So long as you don't do it often, you should be ok.

Just DON'T check luggage, or it will go on without you. And do your fellow pax a favor and call the airline to tell them you are sick and have to miss the second segment..AFTER you deplane of course!

B747-437B Jan 13, 13 5:38 am


Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20034025)
Above and beyond not being allowed to short-check bags, OP will be manifested as a transit pax. When he shows up for admission, this will set off alarm bells and there will ensue a messy security issue between immigration, the carrier & OP. In the end, as a visitor, he may well be refused admission.

This will not happen.

However, the ticketing and baggage issues raised are legitimate.

stifle Jan 13, 13 9:05 am

While it is against the rules, and there may (but only may) be issues short-checking the baggage, unless you do it often you are unlikely to have an issue. Your travel agent, if you used one, will not like you however as he will probably receive an ADM for the difference between the fare paid and a very expensive ticket.

MSPeconomist Jan 13, 13 9:11 am

Whether you cn short check luggage depends on how long your connecting time is. If it's an overnight connection (but under 24 hours, so officially a connection rather than a stopover), the airlines almost expect you to want to retrieve your luggage, although if your transit point requires a visa to leave the airport, they should verify this before checking bags only to the connecting point.

For a short (several hours or less) connection, the airline will refuse to short check bags with extremely high probability. Asking will raise flags about what you are trying to do.

CPRich Jan 13, 13 10:34 am


Originally Posted by pinworm (Post 20035920)
So long as you don't do it often, you should be ok.

Just DON'T check luggage, or it will go on without you. And do your fellow pax a favor and call the airline to tell them you are sick and have to miss the second segment..AFTER you deplane of course!

This is a standard answer for domestic travel. OP, please do not count on this advice for your situation.

No, the airline won't just check you in and tag your bag for part of the journey. That's not the trip you paid them for.

mg10461 Jan 14, 13 9:15 am


Originally Posted by cornell (Post 20035889)
Would the same issue occur if a flight were missed and someone were manifested as a transit pax? Couple years ago I missed a connection at CDG to ATL and passed through immigration to get a quicker resolution at the Air France ticketing office. No issues. When younger I also entered Germany while waiting for a connecting flight just to get the stamp and say I had "been" there. Yeah I know, kinda pointless, but I was young and dumb just like everyone else. I told the immigration officer what I was doing and had no issues.

Everything has changed since 9/11 . When I was younger I got off in AMS on a stopover that was due to go to greece. I even got my checked bags. No way would they let you do that now.

_windi_ Jan 14, 13 10:12 am


Originally Posted by mg10461 (Post 20043522)
Everything has changed since 9/11 . When I was younger I got off in AMS on a stopover that was due to go to greece. I even got my checked bags. No way would they let you do that now.

Except that I have done it. TUN->FRA->ZRH. Had my luggage only checked to FRA. No complaints at all.

B747-437B Jan 14, 13 12:23 pm


Originally Posted by mg10461 (Post 20043522)
Everything has changed since 9/11 . When I was younger I got off in AMS on a stopover that was due to go to greece. I even got my checked bags. No way would they let you do that now.

O RLY?

CPRich Jan 14, 13 3:32 pm


Originally Posted by _windi_ (Post 20043864)
Except that I have done it. TUN->FRA->ZRH. Had my luggage only checked to FRA. No complaints at all.

I suspect that the policies and enforcement level at SFO may be slightly different than you'll find in Tunisia.

brewdog11 Jan 14, 13 11:56 pm

I believe this is called, "throwaway ticketing." It is not allowed necessarily, but you're able to do it if you're not checking bags.

In the end, the airline will have trouble sticking it to you if you decide to just end your journey in MUC. Plenty of things could happen (i.e. illness, took nap and missed departure, lost track of time, etc.) that could cause any traveler to miss his/her flight; the airline really can't prove that you did it with malicious intent because of this.

Just carry on your baggage and don't mention it to the check-in agent.


Safe travels and enjoy München, Die Weltstadt mit Herz!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:25 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.