Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Flying on the day of the super bowl

Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL

Got a trip coming up that departs on Feb 3rd, which is the day of the Super Bowl. Currently all three legs are at about 20-30% capacity.

Anybody else notice light flights in the past?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew ORD-LGA once during the Super Bowl. I was maybe a little lighter, but nothing near 30%.

The UA captain put the game on Channel 9, which was nice.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It was always a great day to go skiing when I lived in Colorado. Slopes were noticeably less crowded.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
I'm flying back from Europe on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm actually flying DURING the Super Bowl. I'll be sure to report back.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I flew BLI-HNL last year on Super Bowl Sunday. Lighter traffic on board but brutal for my poor brother returning to Canada after dropping us off at BLI airport. The game had ended and he waited 2 hours to get back. Cost me a very nice bottle of wine!
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
I flew LGA-ORD-DFW-BNE on Super Bowl day last year (unwittingly booked being an Australian) and the flights definitely weren't that empty. I can't recall the LGA-ORD leg, but the ORD-DFW leg on AA was definitely about 80% full.

Managed to catch the end of the game at the Admirals club in DFW though
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I flew into Vegas for a trade show a couple of years ago during the Super Bowl. Flight wasn't full but certainly wasn't empty. The airport, however, was PACKED with people leaving Vegas.....I'm assuming the bet for the wrong team.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by RussianTexan
I'm flying back from Europe on Super Bowl Sunday. I'm actually flying DURING the Super Bowl. I'll be sure to report back.
I'm flying during the game as well. Las to pdx with multiple stops. I was kind of surprised.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:00 pm

Superbowl Sunday used to be a great day to go wine tasting in the Napa Valley - no crowds or traffic at all during gametime.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:54 pm

I flew a few years ago and remember that the pilot gave us the score. Don't remember how busy it was.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Several years ago, I had a departure during the 2nd quarter of the game. The airport TVs were showing the game on the TVs at the gate.

Boarding went something like this...

"We welcome our first class passengers to board at this time". One or two board.
"Executive Platinum and Platinum are welcome to board". No one.
"Golds". No one.
"Group 1 please board at this time". Maybe a couple.
"Group 2". Same
"Group 3".
"Folks, we know the game is on, but we need you to board if we're going to depart on time".

A far cry from the usual mob of gate lice.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:38 pm

I flew MEM-ORD on Delta during the 2010 Super Bowl. It was shortly after the Delta-Northwest merger. I believe the flight was delayed 30-45 minutes, but the game was on the tvs at the gate, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Our plane finally showed up, and we started to board. Approximately half the plane boarded before they realized there was a last-minute equipment change to a smaller plane, and ~ 15 people had boarding passes for rows that didn't exist. They pulled everyone back off the plane, and started reissuing boarding passes. Some people who deboarded left stuff at their seats, and then there was an issue with the new seat-holders taking their stuff. Finally, with the crew about to time out, the gate agent told everyone to take the first available seat, or our flight would be cancelled and we'd be stuck in MEM for the night. Needless to say, it was a full flight. The pilot gave score updates a few times during the flight...it ended before we landed.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

flew one some 20 years ago. think it was a cross country. pilot gave an update on almost every play or so it seemed. since they were two nowhere teams to me, the announcements were a big intrusion........chicago just punted, and dallas has the ball on the 22 yard line. putzmaker just gained 7 yards the ball is now on the 29....and so forth. i think someone made that go away.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
Ha! I actually have a trip back from LGA or JFK to LAX originally scheduled to leave on Sunday afternoon. Trying to figure out how to make my way back the morning of or night before. Enjoy the light flight!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I remember a couple score announcements from the cockpit when flying on superbowl Sunday, but even more extremely empty restaurants that day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.