Community
Wiki Posts
Search

who holds the most citizenships

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Promo_Jake
I have a friend, really, who holds three valid passports and is working on her fourth. Anyone know who holds the most?

I hold 3.

Canadian, because I was born there.

American, because I was born to American parents abroad.

German (EU) because in the 90's Germany reinstated all citizenships revoked from Jews and their families during the holocaust. This included my father, which therefore included me so I signed on.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Depending on when you were born and how long your US citizen mother had been a US citizen and resident in the US, you may be a US citizen by birth. The citizenship is what it is, with or without parental application for a CRBA and/or passport.

There are foreign-born US citizens who don't know they are US citizens. Technically, the extremely expensive option isn't an option for many such persons, and it is just potentially an extremely expensive outcome, whether or not they know they are US citizens. In practical terms, however, not having been documented as a US citizen can be ordinarily a cheaper outcome for such unrecognized US dual-citizens; however, under the letter of the law, the outcome is supposed to be pretty expensive for such persons too.

The problem is that the US taxes ALL US Citizens no matter where they live. If you come out as a US Citizen...usually by getting an SSN..the IRS clamors for it's money even if you never set foot stateside. So even if you are entitled to US citizenship due to birth abroad, it may be wiser to just stay quiet.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
[
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
You are not talking about the same situation I was.

The category of stateless people I was describing are those whose fathers left the US as soldiers in WWII before they were 18 years old and never returned to the U.S. as adults. In that group there were roughly 100 individuals who were issued passports by the UN. Likely there are numerous other categories of persons without any recognized citizenship, but that's not what I was describing.
I was including the children of such war veterans too.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
The problem is that the US taxes ALL US Citizens no matter where they live. If you come out as a US Citizen...usually by getting an SSN..the IRS clamors for it's money even if you never set foot stateside. So even if you are entitled to US citizenship due to birth abroad, it may be wiser to just stay quiet.
Trying to stay below the IRS radar (or even unintentionally staying under the IRS radar) may end up being expensive if discovered, even for those who never had a SSN and never sought a US citizenship document. It’s not been a priority but that doesn’t mean it won’t become one when/if the government wants it to be.

Having multiple citizenships can be an asset or liability. US citizenship is more of a financial liability than many realize until it costs them thousands of dollars or more to deal with.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
@:-) You don't have to marry to get another citizenship. Moving and living abroad does the trick in some cases as well. It's just a much longer process.
In my industry, it is getting harder to get posted overseas or hired overseas without the citizenship. I was lucky to live in Spain for 3 years but I returned stateside before I was eligible for permanent residence and citizenship Gotta go where the job takes you
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I have 1.5...............Canadian at present, and in May 2018, I will be allowed to apply for my Brasilian passport in May 2018, as I currently have permanent resident status there, and require a 12 month waiting period for citizenship thru marriage..

Last edited by KDS777; Dec 3, 2017 at 11:04 am
Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:08 am
Suspended

For well less than $3 million dollars, a US citizen could acquire 4 or more additional citizenships within less than 4 years and still qualify as a US resident for US tax purposes during that entire period of time.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I have three; Australian (by birth), UK (through mother) and Canadian (through father)

Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Is it difficult to "re-obtain" citizenship after renouncing it? For instance if country X requires you to relinquish your current citizenship(s) before granting you theirs (but has nothing against you getting subsequent citizenships once you are already their citizen).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by aster
Is it difficult to "re-obtain" citizenship after renouncing it? For instance if country X requires you to relinquish your current citizenship(s) before granting you theirs (but has nothing against you getting subsequent citizenships once you are already their citizen).
Depends on the country. IIRC if you relinquish UK citizenship because you're taking up military service for another country, you can resume it once and once only.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aster
It varies by the countries relevant to the person. For those countries with a constitutional ban on their adult citizens having citizenship of another recognized country, it’s generally not easy when such person has abandoned the citizenship of the country with a dual-citizenship ban. But there are exceptions even in that regard.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I was born with two (US and one EU country). My husband is a citizen of two other EU countries.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
I have three; Australian (by birth), UK (through mother) and Canadian (through father)

i have the same three
australia (birth)
uk (father)
canada (moved here in 2009 and stayed)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know a guy who had six at one point, but eventually stopped renewing 3 of his passports, as quite frankly the other 3 more than covered him, a the three that he stopped renewing were more than a detriment than anything else. I know people who could have 8 or 9 if they really really wanted, but stick with 2 or 3, because after a certain number there is no point (i.e. the have an EU one, a US one and maybe another)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:45 am

Also interesting is who has the least. E.g. Queen Elizabeth likely has none in the strict sense of the word. Though this is debated by constitutional scholars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.