who holds the most citizenships

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

who holds the most citizenships

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2017, 2:47 pm

My daugther has

well my daugther has 4 citizenships from birth with an option for one more.

me hungarian and swedish i have hungarian father and swedish mother

wife croation minority from bosnia

my daughter

1Swedish
2hungarian
3bosnian
4croatian

5? As my father belongs to the slovene minority in hungary ny daughter could get that aswell
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:34 pm

On the other end of the scale, I know someone who has 0 citizenships.

A friend of ours was born in Sri Lanka to a Sri Lankan mother and an Indian father. Sri Lankan citizenship law indicates that citizenship depends on the citizenship of the father, so our friend is not eligible for Sri Lankan citizenship. He would have to apply for Indian citizenship if he wanted it. He travels on a Sri Lankan passport specifically for people who do not have Sri Lankan citizenship who are in his specific situation.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by bankops
I have 2, my wife has 2 and our daughter has all 4.
Getting citizenship at birth does not really count in my book. However putting efforts to get one - does.

Friend of mine has five. He was born in Ukraine, back in times of Soviet Union, but starting from student years lived in Russia. So he got russian citizenship. Then he moved to Israel in beginning of 90s and after some time got citizenship there too. After that applied and got approved for Canada, moved to Vancouver, stayed and got canadian citizenship. In mid-2000s relocated to California on H1 and after seven years got green card and citizenship. And just couple of month ago he reinstated his Ukrainian citizenship.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Sadly, I have just 1, would love to get more but since both my parents are Canadians, and I was born here as well, it's not really that easy.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 2:37 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Several Australian politicians have had issues with unexpected dual citizenship due to the Australian constitution forbidding foreigners from high political office.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Talking

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Several Australian politicians have had issues with unexpected dual citizenship due to the Australian constitution forbidding foreigners from high political office.
Everone wants to be a Kiwi
ajGoes likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Sadly, I have just 1, would love to get more but since both my parents are Canadians, and I was born here as well, it's not really that easy.
For something between $50,000 and $2,000,000, it's possible to buy a way into citizenship in at least some countries.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by lmashton
On the other end of the scale, I know someone who has 0 citizenships.

A friend of ours was born in Sri Lanka to a Sri Lankan mother and an Indian father. Sri Lankan citizenship law indicates that citizenship depends on the citizenship of the father, so our friend is not eligible for Sri Lankan citizenship. He would have to apply for Indian citizenship if he wanted it. He travels on a Sri Lankan passport specifically for people who do not have Sri Lankan citizenship who are in his specific situation.
My brother's ex was officially stateless and traveled on a UN passport.

Her father left the U.S. with the U.S. Army when he was 17, stayed overseas in the country he was stationed in and never came to back to the U.S. after he was 18. The county where he settled granted citizenship through the father, but the U.S. did not give citizenship to his kids because he left the U.S. before he was 18. The family didn't know that until the kids were in their teens and tried to get passports. Turns out that there were ~100 kids of former U.S. GI's in the same situation (or at least ~100 who tried to get passports) and the UN ended up granting them special status of some sort because they were officially stateless.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
My brother's ex was officially stateless and traveled on a UN passport.

Her father left the U.S. with the U.S. Army when he was 17, stayed overseas in the country he was stationed in and never came to back to the U.S. after he was 18. The county where he settled granted citizenship through the father, but the U.S. did not give citizenship to his kids because he left the U.S. before he was 18. The family didn't know that until the kids were in their teens and tried to get passports. Turns out that there were ~100 kids of former U.S. GI's in the same situation (or at least ~100 who tried to get passports) and the UN ended up granting them special status of some sort because they were officially stateless.
There are way more than 100 foreign-born kids of US citizen fathers who have been born stateless and remained that way into adulthood and even death. And in the future the number of such persons born to a US parent seems likely to increase as now more US citizen mothers will also end up a biological parent of children stateless at birth due to the maternal US residence requirement having been increased (by the SCOTUS) to match the time period required of US citizen fathers. The SCOTUS could have reduced the parental US residence requirement for fathers so that it matches that for mothers as provided by Congress; but that would have been the kind of expansion of the US citizen base that they'd rather let Congress adjust.

I'd hazard an educated guess that globally the number of people with no recognized state citizenship at birth far exceeds the number of people with 5 (or more) citizenships by birth.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 16, 2017 at 6:38 am
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As the foreign born child of a US citizen mother, I automatically got citizenship of the country of my birth (UK) and also could obtain US citizenship. But the latter is one of the few citizenships you don’t want to have if you have no intention of living there because its egregious tax laws make it an extremely expensive option.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As the foreign born child of a US citizen mother, I automatically got citizenship of the country of my birth (UK) and also could obtain US citizenship. But the latter is one of the few citizenships you don’t want to have if you have no intention of living there because its egregious tax laws make it an extremely expensive option.
Depending on when you were born and how long your US citizen mother had been a US citizen and resident in the US, you may be a US citizen by birth. The citizenship is what it is, with or without parental application for a CRBA and/or passport.

There are foreign-born US citizens who don't know they are US citizens. Technically, the extremely expensive option isn't an option for many such persons, and it is just potentially an extremely expensive outcome, whether or not they know they are US citizens. In practical terms, however, not having been documented as a US citizen can be ordinarily a cheaper outcome for such unrecognized US dual-citizens; however, under the letter of the law, the outcome is supposed to be pretty expensive for such persons too.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I have US only. So wish I could get another passport. I seriously discussed marrying my ex-boyfriend (The discussions actually occurred after we broke up, we're still friends) to get him US and me German citizenships but we decided we really didn't want to have to live together at least another 2 years after I'd just moved out. Now, with the fascist hamburgerler in the White House, I really wish we'd done it.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are way more than 100 foreign-born kids of US citizen fathers who have been born stateless and remained that way into adulthood and even death. And in the future the number of such persons born to a US parent seems likely to increase as now more US citizen mothers will also end up a biological parent of children stateless at birth due to the maternal US residence requirement having been increased (by the SCOTUS) to match the time period required of US citizen fathers. The SCOTUS could have reduced the parental US residence requirement for fathers so that it matches that for mothers as provided by Congress; but that would have been the kind of expansion of the US citizen base that they'd rather let Congress adjust.
You are not talking about the same situation I was.

The category of stateless people I was describing are those whose fathers left the US as soldiers in WWII before they were 18 years old and never returned to the U.S. as adults. In that group there were roughly 100 individuals who were issued passports by the UN. Likely there are numerous other categories of persons without any recognized citizenship, but that's not what I was describing.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Redhead
I have US only. So wish I could get another passport. I seriously discussed marrying my ex-boyfriend (The discussions actually occurred after we broke up, we're still friends) to get him US and me German citizenships but we decided we really didn't want to have to live together at least another 2 years after I'd just moved out. Now, with the fascist hamburgerler in the White House, I really wish we'd done it.
@:-) You don't have to marry to get another citizenship. Moving and living abroad does the trick in some cases as well. It's just a much longer process.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Moving and living abroad does the trick in some cases as well. It's just a much longer process.
Depends on destination. In some developed countries this is extremely difficult process. Try to get citizenship of Japan or Singapore even while married to their citizens...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.