Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Christopher Elliott says we are all jerks...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christopher Elliott says we are all jerks...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
There must be a reason he got fired. But he is spot on in some of the specifics you quote above.
Was he fired?

His own website just basically said that he's been going more in the direction of being a general consumer advocate rather than focusing on travel. Then a few days ago there was a reference to changes coming there at New Year's, but again nothing specific. Today the links to his blog posts all seem to lead to an error message, including the one linked here saying that we're jerks. BTW his website has referral links, including ads to buy his own ebooks.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
What travel "experts" fail to realize is that many of us travel not as work but to get to work. When we fly somewhere, we have busy days, meetings, dinners, entertainment, etc to do and when we're done it's only to get on a flight and go somewhere else to do it again or head back to the office/home where work and family obligations are waiting.

I'm not complaining, there's lots I enjoy about business travel. But one reason frequent travelers sweat the issues is that they add up and take a toll if you let them.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Although there are plenty of threads here about things that one may see as frivolous, have you ever seen a complaint thread, even one you agree with, have you ever seen the whole of FlyerTalk unanimously chime in in agreement? And to say that elites are enjoying all of the services that are no longer available to the general public is just silly. I imagine many elites wouldn't mind fewer upgrades if it meant larger seats, hot food on most flights, a bar/lounge on large planes, etc. Even elites miss the old days, and while elites have more advantages than your average flyer, many of us do a lot to earn it. I take longer/non-direct routes to stay within the alliance. I can't use some budget sites/travel agents so that I can make sure to have a mileage earning fare. If it is wrong that I get lounge access and a higher baggage allowance and sometimes get upgraded, then it is wrong to even have a first class. In my view, I pay a lot for the benefits of status. It is not some free benefit offered to me just for fun. Nearly anyone with status has put in their time on aeroplanes, and has earned a few benefits.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
He's a consumer advocate, but gets upset when consumers want to get proper service?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jsmeeker:19951568
He's a consumer advocate, but gets upset when consumers want to get proper service?
Exactly on point. And what it really means is rather than understanding the needs and advocating for all consumers, he uses his platform to judge those he deems good and those bad. Consumer advocate is just window dressing.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have never heard of CE, but in a number of threads i have followed, and a number of privileges i have seen, i find a large enough percentage of FTers to be ugly and dishonest to really agree with this guy.

go go chris.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I think you are being too hard on Chris Elliot. "Get a Life" was a hugely underrated sitcom gem, and the Zoo Animal on Wheels sketch still cracks me up.

Oh, not that Chris Elliot, nevermind...
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by JMN57
Exactly on point. And what it really means is rather than understanding the needs and advocating for all consumers, he uses his platform to judge those he deems good and those bad. Consumer advocate is just window dressing.
+1^ Perfect.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
I find his anger towards frequent flyers to be misplaced, but he does have a few good points, especially in regards to the bloggers. While blanket statements sucks, there are some miserable people on here.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
While blanket statements sucks, there are some miserable people on here.
Yes, but I think you will find that on any opinion board--maybe it is a bell curve. But I am glad he is not getting away with saying ALL people on FT are jerks. Ok, we're not jerks ALL the time
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I find his anger towards frequent flyers to be misplaced, but he does have a few good points, especially in regards to the bloggers. While blanket statements sucks, there are some miserable people on here.
Thank you for that insight on miserable people WRCSolberg. It's puzzled me for a while, but maybe the explanation for some of the crazy self centered and snarky behavior on FT is just that simple. I've never had to do 100+ segments in a year on RJ's like some do. I'd probably be miserable...

Happy New Year.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I always found it surprising that Elliott had column at NatGeo.
Searching NatGeo now nothing newer than 2011 comes up.

I hope the letter I wrote to editor at NatGeo helped him move along.
But they never answered my letter, so who nose ?
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

unfortunately its not really him necessarily, its standard journalism (and politics) today
Old Jan 1, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
unfortunately its not really him necessarily, its standard journalism (and politics) today
^^
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hedur
Ummm, no. People pay a premium for a certain product and simply expect to get what they paid for. I suppose Mr. Elliot would say someone who buys a new Mercedes and expects it to run better than an old Hyundai thinks they're "more special than everyone else".

Never heard of the guy before but he sounds a little bitter and jealous to me.
I agree 100%. When people pay premium rates, they are entitled to expect perfection to start and to improve from there. I'm a sports official, I understand that. I've done event management, I understand that. If you dropped $30K on a first class suite, you have a right to be pissed if the seat doesn't recline properly and the service is a mess. People paying premium rates deserve perfection. This means, make sure the wine is chilled to the right temp, make sure the steak is cooked properly, make sure the seats are not broken, make sure their reservation doesn't get lost, make sure that you know the right policies so you don't end up wrongly denying them a service, make sure your PJs are adequately stocked, and most importantly, when you fail, make sure you make it up to them. If you run out of PJs, offer to send them a set and offer them something else on top of that, when the wine is not chilled, offer to make it right. When their meal choice is not available, offer them a damn voucher to any restaurant in the airport or something. Hey jut dropped $30K, if its not right, make it right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.