Wiki Posts
Search

A380 windows - from the passenger's perspective

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
A380 windows - from the passenger's perspective

This weekend I was able to fly LH and TG A380's in F - back to back.

This was my first time on the A380. My only real complaint is the windows. I am one of those people that keeps their eyes glued to the window, staring at the wing, engine, etc. the way that the windows are designed made me feel as though I was in a submarine trying to stare out of a tiny glass port hole. I thought that maybe it was the LH interior design, but the TG plane was the same.

Made me feel VERY disconnected from the outside world although some people may want to be disconnected?

Is this how it is on all A380's?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by avi8tir

This was my first time on the A380. My only real complaint is the windows. I am one of those people that keeps their eyes glued to the window, staring at the wing, engine, etc. the way that the windows are designed made me feel as though I was in a submarine trying to stare out of a tiny glass port hole. I thought that maybe it was the LH interior design, but the TG plane was the same.

Made me feel VERY disconnected from the outside world although some people may want to be disconnected?

On the upper deck, yes. I had the same feeling when flying the AF 380.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
For such a huge fuselage it would probably create structural issues if the windows were any bigger. To have bigger windows there would probably have to be less of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOAC_Flight_781
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airlines can change interior arrangements, but not windows. Windows are the same for all A380s for all airlines.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:23 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please follow this in TravelBuzz.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
Airlines can change interior arrangements, but not windows. Windows are the same for all A380s for all airlines.
It's note size of that window that creates this effect... It's the distance between the outer window and the inner window... If that makes sense. On most planes it's about an inch but on the A380, it seems to be more like 6 inches.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:18 am

OP, your complaint is a bit like saying you just had a Ferrari for the weekend and it really bugged you that the stereo control buttons are too small.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by halls120:19878278
Originally Posted by avi8tir

On the upper deck, yes. I had the same feeling when flying the AF 380.
I too noticed this and had the same feeling. Though I will say it was quiet up there. Almost too quiet.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
OP, your complaint is a bit like saying you just had a Ferrari for the weekend and it really bugged you that the stereo control buttons are too small.
Funny, but the radio does suck in ferraris. But the button size is just fine.

Haha
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: Credit Cards
the problem with the windows is not so much that they are big or small

the problem is, the standard size outer window has another larger window in front of it, which from a passenger's perspective makes it look like what the OP described.

Im not sure i'm the biggest fan of that design, but I do love the window seat on the A380 because it gives you extra upper body room

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.