Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Peanuts not served on flight because a passenger had peanut allergy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:46 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by Segments
It's not whether the airline serves nuts, it's whether they can prohibit pax from eating the food they carried on board... especially when the notification occurs during/ after boarding.
Yo no hablo inglés. Je ne parle pas anglais. Or whatever other language you want to use...it seems to get the job done. Unless you're in an exit row!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For me the ban on peanuts if a hyper-allergic passenger is on a flight, is NOT the real issue; it is compelling a plane load of people to conform to the problem(s) of a single person.
One similar issue comes to mind:
Should movies/tv programs, which are aired in prime time, have their content geared to the lowest common denominator of their audience, which in many cases are children?
[PS: re peanuts per se, I'm personally NOT a big fan of peanuts, give me pecans any day (they are also, about 8 times the price peanuts).]

Last edited by nrr; Dec 21, 2012 at 7:49 am
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by nrr
For me the ban on peanuts if a hyper-allergic passenger is on a flight, is NOT the real issue; it is compelling a plane load of people to conform to the problem(s) of a single person.
One similar issue comes to mind:
Should movies/tv programs, which are aired in prime time, have their content geared to the lowest common denominator of their audience, which in many cases are children?
That's a faulty analogy. If you don't want to watch something on TV, you can turn it off, or change the channel. You can't just stop breathing on a plane.

Originally Posted by Segments
It's not whether the airline serves nuts, it's whether they can prohibit pax from eating the food they carried on board... especially when the notification occurs during/ after boarding.

Why can't they? It's their plane.

To the airlines, this is basically a business decision and nothing more. If they refuse to ban peanuts for an allergic person, they lose a passenger (and their family). If they ban peanuts, then a whole planeload of people complains, but it's highly unlikely that any of them will stop flying that airline because they weren't allowed to eat their peanuts. Therefore, the airline gets more revenue if they ban peanuts when necessary.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 1:47 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
It's all foolish. If someone really is allergic, given that WN doesn't clean aircraft between flights, there are probably wrappers stuffed in the seatback pockets, lying on the floor and the like.
WN will clean the area around the affected passenger, and will allow the passenger's traveling companion(s) to participate, all prior to boarding. The affected passenger can then pre-board to ensure seating in the prepared area.

Originally Posted by hedur
Even diabetics who bring their own food to manage their condition are asked to put their needs aside in favor of someone else's medical condition.
No, they're not. They can request accommodation for their condition as well. That may involve rearranging the seating so that the two passengers are as far apart as possible or allowing one of the passengers to change to an alternate flight.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by LarryJ

No, they're not. They can request accommodation for their condition as well. That may involve rearranging the seating so that the two passengers are as far apart as possible or allowing one of the passengers to change to an alternate flight.
Which only works if the announcement is made in advance. Again the problem is not saying no peanuts. The problem is waiting until we are away from the gate to make the announcement when it is too late for others to make adjustments if they are affected by the restriction.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'll keep a stiff upper lip and suffer with twelve pretzels instead. I think I'll get through it.
Unless you have celiac disease.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.