Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Peanuts not served on flight because a passenger had peanut allergy

Peanuts not served on flight because a passenger had peanut allergy

Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about another common allergen - dogs? In some people they can trigger an allergic reaction / asthma attack so severe medical attention is needed immediately. Yet it is also a 'right' for disabled passengers to have their service dog on board. How do you remedy that?

How about if someone is travelling with a pet dog, completely allowed by airline regulations, yet someone is very allergic (beyond the watery eyes, hives stage).

I do have a couple of pretty nasty allergies, luckily not ones where another person's actions are liable to trigger them, so I do have some sympathy, but at the same time, it is easy to see how one person's rights can have a negative impact on another.

(Incidently, I was reading some theories as to why peanut allergy has increased - one related to the use of peanut oil (often unnoticed by parents) in zinc cream (for diaper rashes), calamine lotions, and emolliant creams used for excema and other skin conditions and the hugely increased use of those products over the past 30 or so years. I didn't know that, but find it really interesting (in part because I am horribly allergic to one of the other ingredients in those products!) )
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Just my two cents as a peanut-allergic person who has been clinically dead twice from the reaction...

The allergy itself is not actually to the peanut but to a mold that grows between the peanut and the shell. (This occurs in all peanuts; there are no "mold-free" strains out there, but the fore-mentioned African peanut may have a different amount of this mold.) The same mold occurs in peas between the pod and the peas, but to a lesser degree. Most of us can die from an reaction to peanuts, but peas just make us sick to our stomachs. Side note: peanuts are legumes, in the same family as peas, if you didn't catch the relationship.

An allergic person's body's response to coming into contact with a peanut is that every part of the body that has been touched swells; that can be only topical, such as a rash or hives when someone kisses you on the neck or shakes your hand, or much more extreme, in the case of swallowing a peanut, at which time the esophagus, tongue and even gums and cheeks can swell to the point that the airway is fully blocked. Peanut dust can have this same effect on the lungs and nasal passages. Death can be caused by either the lack of air - respiratory failure - or by the heart giving out under the sever cardiovascular strain caused by the reaction.

The sense of smell is activated by actual particles of whatever you smell in the air, so air-borne peanut dust is a very real concern to those with the allergy. In modern aircraft, with the air being recycled in the cabin as often as it is, this is no longer such a problem, but in the 70s and 80s it presented a true hazard. I spent many flights in that era locked in the lav with the air vent on high to escape the dust. I suspect that this has led to some over-reaction on the part of peanut allergy sufferers from that era.

If fly, and I fly a lot. I always have my EpiPen with me (two, actually) and I never advise the airline in advance, but that's because the airlines I fly have a no-peanut policy, even though they still have the disclaimer that traces of peanuts may be in the food. It's a risk I take to do something I love.

My take on it is that there are peanuts in this world and they're going to get on airplanes whether served by the airline or brought on board by a pax. If I have to change seats, I do it, but it is my responsibility, not anyone else's. However, a little understanding goes a long way.

For those that are using the argument that peanuts are the only snack that they can eat because of the protein and fat and should be served by the airline, I would reply that nobody in this day and age should be relying on an airline to serve anything, weather it's peanuts, pretzels, or bloody mary's. If peanuts are the only thing that will keep you in balance, bring them, just as I bring vodka minis and Percocet. And when an airline doesn't serve something, IMHO, that's just par for the course, regardless of the reason they give.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by TravelGal2779

Likewise, I have a shrimp allergy which runs in my family. On a United EWR-LAS flight last month, three of us were served shrimp cocktail with our meals but we have the pleasure of simply not eating it to avoid any reaction. However, one of those same family members also has an allergy to walnuts. Coincidentally, on the return flight, we received a nuts packet with walnuts in it. She was asleep, but when I opened my pack and saw walnuts, I immediately took her bag and alerted the flight attendant and gave her both bags. Crisis resolved.

I feel inclined to think those without a food allergy lack the empathy necessary to understand how detrimental this can truly be and how it impacts your life. There is no need to place blame on something that is not the fault of the human, other than its body overreacting.
I don't think it is a lack of empathy but competing "rights" and a failure to understand that others also have detrimental circumstances

You chose an option that impacted few, if any, others. Thank you

Severe allergies, or any health condition for that matter, is not the fault of the human. How we choose to respond is within our individual control. If someone's allergy is so severe that they can't fly without disrupting 150 strangers then perhaps they should consider other options
Old Dec 19, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Honestly, folks, what is the big deal? I really think people object because they feel someone else's needs (or apparent needs) are getting priority over their own.
If this was just about peanuts (i.e. peanuts was the only source of anaphlactic shock), there would be no problem. Ban the peanut would be viable solution However this is not just about peanuts, its about being negatively impacted by all sorts of anaphlactic shock sources (eggs, milk, seafood and shellfish, nuts, peanuts, dogs, cats, etc.).

Further the offered solution (ban the product from the airplane on moments notice) gross exagerates the issue. This allergy issue was studied extensively by the Canada Transport Agency. Findings indicated there is only a concern for the pax seat and those around them. Therefore the solution in Canada is to ban the offending item from subset of the pax cabin. THe allergy buffer zone is about 9 seats and other pax objecting can be reseated. If the pax was seated in row 9A, the following seats have a ban 8ABC, 9ABC, 10ABC, however the DEF seats of these rows are not affected. Gone from Canada are the days where whole airplane has ban on product. This solution was born out of discussions with aircraft manufacturers who designed the airplane air flow. It is scientifically the best option available.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Most of the evidence given here is for severe medical complications resulting from accidental ingestion. I have not heard/read of a case in which someone suffered or died due to someone 15 rows away eating peanut containing food.

I would love to see how Malaysian airlines would handle this issue. They enjoy some renown for their signature dish, chicken/lamb satay, which uses copious amounts of peanuts in its preparation and serving. I have to imagine that such a passenger would be SOL.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Originally Posted by pmaclell
Of course, this is carried far to far to satisfy the lawyers. Your problem is not my problem and I resent you making it so. I will never do anything to harm you, but if I eat a peanut butter sandwich on a plane and you are affected, that is YOUR problem, not mine.
In a nutshell, that's my reaction.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by pmaclell
Your problem is not my problem and I resent you making it so. I will never do anything to harm you, but if I eat a peanut butter sandwich on a plane and you are affected, that is YOUR problem, not mine.
Especially if you can eliminate your problem by being proactive. Namely wearing a hepa filter mask and latex gloves. My not eating a peanut butter sandwich will not protect you from peanut residue (fragments, oil, dust) left on board by passangers from prior flights of the aircraft. A mask and gloves will.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by AlanInDC
In a nutshell, that's my reaction.
Heh. I see what you did there.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:54 pm

I'm really not sure, however, why some people are so upset at the idea of not getting a little packet of peanuts on an aeroplane, especially if an equally uninspiring alternative is offered?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zpaul
The sense of smell is activated by actual particles of whatever you smell in the air, so air-borne peanut dust is a very real concern to those with the allergy. In modern aircraft, with the air being recycled in the cabin as often as it is, this is no longer such a problem, but in the 70s and 80s it presented a true hazard. I spent many flights in that era locked in the lav with the air vent on high to escape the dust. I suspect that this has led to some over-reaction on the part of peanut allergy sufferers from that era.
From the stuff I was reading yesterday, it was saying that the particles that are the 'classic peanut smell' are non-allergenic, i.e. they do not contain the protein, and therefore cannot cause a reaction (e.g. smelling peanut butter). It is different when there is peanut 'dust' present (e.g. from shelling peanuts).
Old Dec 20, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
From the stuff I was reading yesterday, it was saying that the particles that are the 'classic peanut smell' are non-allergenic, i.e. they do not contain the protein, and therefore cannot cause a reaction (e.g. smelling peanut butter). It is different when there is peanut 'dust' present (e.g. from shelling peanuts).
Good distinction; thank you. I was thinking only of the peanut dust. Smelling peanut butter usually won't be a problem, except psychologically. We tend to get away from the smell of peanuts in any form as fast as we can!

I was once on Delta in F and the lady seated next to me brought an Asian chicken salad on board with a heavy peanut sauce. Luckily she wanted to eat while we were still at the gate, so I just stood outside the door on the jetway while she finished. I wouldn't have had an anaphylactic reaction, but it was enough to make me uncomfortable.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by zpaul
Good distinction; thank you. I was thinking only of the peanut dust. Smelling peanut butter usually won't be a problem, except psychologically. We tend to get away from the smell of peanuts in any form as fast as we can!

I was once on Delta in F and the lady seated next to me brought an Asian chicken salad on board with a heavy peanut sauce. Luckily she wanted to eat while we were still at the gate, so I just stood outside the door on the jetway while she finished. I wouldn't have had an anaphylactic reaction, but it was enough to make me uncomfortable.
The smell makes me sick, but I think that's a defensive reaction, knowing what will happen if I eat it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Christopher
I'm really not sure, however, why some people are so upset at the idea of not getting a little packet of peanuts on an aeroplane, especially if an equally uninspiring alternative is offered?
It's not whether the airline serves nuts, it's whether they can prohibit pax from eating the food they carried on board... especially when the notification occurs during/ after boarding.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Christopher
The issue is when the airline says you can't eat what you brought. I have been on multiple 12 hour flights where the only things I ate on the plane was what I brought along, eating the airline's stuff wouldn't have actually been dangerous but I would have gone without rather than suffer the reaction.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Delta Hog
Uh, when is the last time you've heard of death by peanut?
Don't let your own ignorance get in the way of stating your opinion in this matter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.