Wiki Posts
Search

Peanuts not served on flight because a passenger had peanut allergy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Given the prevalence of peanut allergies, I do not understand why airlines do not substitute other types of nuts and simply dispense with peanut service on all flights.
Because there is also a prevalance of tree nut allergies - usually as severe as peanut allergies - so just substituting another nut might be useless.

My issue with all of this is tell me before we board the plane when I still have time to get some alternative food instead of telling me as we taxi to the runway that I shouldn't bring out the nuts that I brought with me (which is usually the best portable snack for my own health issues).
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My guess is that eventually airlines will just abandon peanuts altogether. If I was their lawyer, it's what I would advise. Peanuts, tree nuts...just lose 'em all and serve pretzels.

I'll miss the warm nuts in F. Oh wait, they already got rid of those...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
more people die in cars daily than a whole year of peanuts.. We should ban cars too.
..and Peanut Cars should obviously be the first to go...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
You hear of them every so often. One really cruel case I heard about involved a romantic partner eating peanuts some hours earlier. The victim died from a kiss.
There was a good article in a popular (i.e. layman) psychology magazine a couple years ago - I forget which one - which talked about the popularity of peanut allergies and some of the often-repeated myths.

This "death by kiss" one pushed by the peanut allergy industry is one of the biggest ones - yes, the girl in question did kiss someone who had once eaten peanuts, but the cause of death - an asthma attack - was probably a result of the pot she was smoking.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
serve pretzels.
I heard a certain former US president would not agree with you, that pretzels are in any way safer than nuts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by amieuro
I've been on several flights that peanuts were not served cause someone was allergic to peanuts. It sucks. I've even been on one that after they served the peanuts the FA came back around to confiscate them from passengers. I quickly finished mine before she got to me.
Is eating peanuts on a plane flight really that important or is it some sort of theoretical "personal right" issue? When you get a yearning for peanuts, do you immediately go out a by a ticket on the next Southwest flight you can find? If Southwest stopped serving peanuts on flights entirely, would that be enough to make you switch airlines?

Honestly, folks, what is the big deal? I really think people object because they feel someone else's needs (or apparent needs) are getting priority over their own.

It's the same as when you hear people complain about accommodations for disabled individuals. Why do they get priority seating? Why do they get to board first? Why do they get handicapped placards for their car and get priority parking?

Would you trade your healthy non-allergic body for a serious peanut allergy? Would you trade your healthy body for a serious disability?

What ever happened to empathy in our society?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JerryFF

Personally, I'm just tired of everyone's issues affecting me. I have enough problems of my own to deal with, and no one's bending over backwards to help me with those. I can't emotionally handle other people's health problems. That's what happened to my empathy.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rumeli
When I lived in Europe , I did not hear much about this type of allergy . Can anybody explain why is it more of an issue in North America ?
I read an interesting paper on this - it seems that African grown peanuts (the type you find in Europe pretty frequently) are less 'allergenic' than North American peanuts, thus, there are actually less instances because of that (v lawyers!) It is also the case that those with a 'peanut allergy' to North American peanuts, can sometimes consume African peanuts without ill consequence (not advisable to try outside of medical supervision tho, one assumes!)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
For those of you complaining, and you've never had a severe allergic reaction or an asthma attack, put a bag over your head and tie it so that air can't come in. And breathe for 15 minutes so that there's no air left. That's what it feels like. If you're still alive after that, we'll talk. [Inappropriate remarks deleted by Moderator.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 18, 2012 at 10:50 pm Reason: See comment above.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
I read an interesting paper on this - it seems that African grown peanuts (the type you find in Europe pretty frequently) are less 'allergenic' than North American peanuts, thus, there are actually less instances because of that (v lawyers!) It is also the case that those with a 'peanut allergy' to North American peanuts, can sometimes consume African peanuts without ill consequence (not advisable to try outside of medical supervision tho, one assumes!)
Hmm—interesting.

I'm not doubtful of this or anything but do you have a link to said paper? I would be very interested in reading it. Thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
wasn't there another peanut allergy thread a while earlier? One time I was on my way to my father's funeral, and that flight (AA 777) was no peanuts due to a kid being allergic. Hey, if its harmful to the kid, I'll deal without peanuts. I love peanuts but I can live without them for 15 hours. Turns out I sat right behind the kid, he was the most adorable kid, a was a rough time for me, but he made the flight a little bit brighter.

means nothing to the conversation, but hey, is it that hard to get through a flight without peanuts if it makes a flight safer for someone else?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by lovely15

Personally, I'm just tired of everyone's issues affecting me. I have enough problems of my own to deal with, and no one's bending over backwards to help me with those. I can't emotionally handle other people's health problems. That's what happened to my empathy.
+1
Old Dec 17, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Palal
For those of you complaining, and you've never had a severe allergic reaction or an asthma attack, put a bag over your head and tie it so that air can't come in. And breathe for 15 minutes so that there's no air left. That's what it feels like. If you're still alive after that, we'll talk.
Eating nuts is not optional for everyone. Diabetics use them to manage their blood sugar. Notification of a nut ban after boarding gives no option to find alternatives. Ever experience a severe hypoglycemic event? To quote you, "If you're still alive after that, we'll talk".
Old Dec 17, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by Segments
Eating nuts is not optional for everyone. Diabetics use them to manage their blood sugar. Notification of a nut ban after boarding gives no option to find alternatives. Ever experience a severe hypoglycemic event? To quote you, "If you're still alive after that, we'll talk".
If you are diabetic, I would assume that you would choose not to rely on airplane cuisine to manage your diet.

Originally posted by lovely15
"Personally, I'm just tired of everyone's issues affecting me. I have enough problems of my own to deal with, and no one's bending over backwards to help me with those. I can't emotionally handle other people's health problems. That's what happened to my empathy."

I think that pretty much sums up many of the conflicts in our society today.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Segments
Exactly.

If you are diabetic, I would assume that you would choose not to rely on airplane cuisine to manage your diet.
From the OP:

Originally Posted by webazoid
I was on a southwest flight this week when I heard the flight attendant announce that they will not be serving peanuts on my flight and that people who had brought along peanuts or candy with peanuts should not eat their items.
Even diabetics who bring their own food to manage their condition are asked to put their needs aside in favor of someone else's medical condition. Sorry, it's not right. If someone is so allergic that a person in a different row can't eat the peanuts they brought on, then they should either not fly or, as someone else suggested, wear a filtered mask and latex gloves. That would be their only protection from the numerous peanut particles left from previous flights anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.