Motorsport Tourism?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motorsport Tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I have been to Darlington for a race. It is alot of fun.

Originally Posted by pinniped
My buddies and I keep talking about roadtripping to a deep-South NASCAR race. The harder core, older school, and more redneck the better.

I've attended one NASCAR race, but it was in Kansas - total wine & cheese crowd. We want deep, deep South for this. I don't think the DFW area would quite cut it either. I'm thinking Darlington, Chattanooga, Martinsville, Bristol...one of those. But open to others - bonus if it's in the fall and we can pair it with an SEC football game. (We have no need to watch the Busch race, the truck race, etc.) Again, I'd want that to be in Bama, Mississippi, or Georgia. Maybe Tennessee if the Vols don't suck when we get around to this. No Vandy or anything like that.

Extra bonus if we can play one of the RTJ golf courses in that part of the world...I realize that doesn't jive with the demographic here but it could be a Friday activity nonetheless.

I kind of like the idea of that track that basically looks like a huge football stadium where they do a night race. I think it's a half-mile track and half of the pits on each side of the track. (Martinsville?)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
I'm terribly curious whom here actually travels to watch Auto Racing?

Its an area that I've recently became very addicted to. Curiously enough already managed to bump into another FT'er who's got the same passion.

Likewise if anyone needs some help in this area, I'd be happy to contribute whatever I've learned, or at least try to point you in the right direction.

cheers!
--Russ
Lots of people do obviously. The RV's lined up around the events are there for a reason. I'd probably travel some in the US, but there's not much F1 here and the idea of watching cars drive in a circle seems retarded to me. To each their own though.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by 99luftballoons
Lots of people do obviously. The RV's lined up around the events are there for a reason. I'd probably travel some in the US, but there's not much F1 here and the idea of watching cars drive in a circle seems retarded to me. To each their own though.
Technically, all races just go around in a circle. Some just have deviations. And besides nascar, you have alms, grand am, scca, nasa, narra and host of several more in the states that are worth watching.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:53 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi
I have a family wedding in Asheville NC on Oct 19/13 and trying to fit in a NASCAR event. I could probably work in one of the following:

Oct 12 Charlotte
Oct 20 Talledaga
Oct 27 Martinsville

It sounds like I would have the same goal as you for the event, the more redneck the better. Which date would be best?
Whichever date you choose, post the get-together (Do) in the Community Buzz forum, as I'd be VERY interested in attending. (and really hoping that someone who is totally into NASCAR attends as well so that they can explain what the heck is going on in terms of the cars/drivers/rivalries, etc etc etc)
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
NASCAR isn't as bad as so many people make it out to be.

I had an opportunity to watch the race after volunteering the Grand Am race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but had some issues with my car so instead I decided to nurse it back to Detroit to have the problem looked at.

The NASCAR race at Watkins Glen was fun, and the ending was quite exciting, especially since I had a perfect view of the incident that went viral at the closing lap of the race, the whole bump, spin, oil on track issue. Wouldn't mind volunteering for another race, the amount of fans is certainly fantastic!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinkcat
My 18 year old son is studying motorsport and has seen a fair few in the US, he even went to some event at the new NJ motorsport park last Easter while we were on vacation, he goes to LeMans and I think his preferences are for the various LMS and most forms of endurance racing, I am the one who stays at home while he goes so I cant say for certain but I think he was planning to go to the F1 when it comes to NJ and I heard him mumble something about using my BA miles to get to Macau
I was reluctant for him to do the course at college at first but its a proper degree and I just hope he finds a job in the industry
man I wish I knew there was a major in motorsports when I went to school!

I would still love to get a job in the industry, or any job for that matter that would at least support this hobby.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
man I wish I knew there was a major in motorsports when I went to school!

I would still love to get a job in the industry, or any job for that matter that would at least support this hobby.
We are in the UK and he has a choice of a few universities to finish his studies!
He has Mum and dad to support his hobby he is building his own race car for next year and the final college project this year is building an off road buggy.
I think for some of the trips further afield he would like someone to travel with as most of his friends parents dont have a stash of miles to travel on!
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:37 am
Original Poster

UK seems to get the best race fans, and then they spread that enthusiasm to other countries, met plenty of British marshals in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Malaysia
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:53 am

Dega, without a doubt.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:58 am

I fly from DEN to CLT twice a year for the NASCAR race weekends. Have been doing this for 20+ years.

Carryon luggage only, and my cooler is my "personal item" which I stow under the seat...

Another great motorsports-related event is the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction held in Scottsdale every January. Nice break from the winter weather and a great event for car guys/gals.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: Delta, Continental, United, USAir, Marriott, Best Western, Super 8, Holiday Inn
I've been a motorsports fan since I was 8 or 9 (now 64). I travel a fair amount for work and I always check to see what's going on where I happen to be. Occasionally personal travel has worked out favorably also. I'm originally from Toledo, lived in Joliet for a couple of years and at this moment I'm in my home about 17 miles from Watkins Glen International.

So, races that I have been to when I was working somewhere close:

WoO, Santa Fe Speedway, Hinsdale, IL (now defunct), ~1989
USAC Midgets, Santa Fe Speedway, Hinsdale, IL (now defunct), ~1989
NASCAR Trucks, Louisville Speedway, Louisville, KY, 1995
USAC Midgets, Louisville Speedway, Louisville, KY, 1995
IMSA Camel GT, Charlotte Motor Speedway, 1985
NASCAR Busch Series, Darlington Speedway, 1985
NASCAR Modifieds, Bowman Gray Stadium, 2012

Races that I have traveled to specifically or as part of a personal trip:

Copper World Classic, Phoenix International Raceway, 1995
Sprint Cars, regular show at Ventura Speedway, Ventura, CA 2002
Monterey Historics, Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA, 2005, 2007
Vintage Extravaganza, New Hampshire Motor Speedway, 2005
SVRA, Willow Springs Raceway, Willow Springs, CA, 2000
CART, Long Beach, 2001
IMSA Camel GT: Columbus, OH, 1986, 1987

Full CV here...

Always good to be among motorsports fans!!

Last edited by flatlander_48; Dec 8, 2012 at 9:06 am
Old Dec 9, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I always couchsurf in Elmira when I volunteer at Watkins Glen
Old Dec 21, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

I'm surprised there isn't much in terms of rally happening in the Northeast of the US. I would have thought now would be the time?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:05 pm

I did my trip to the Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW museums during the first week of January and really enjoyed it.

Of the three, I think the Porsche museum had the most impact but all three are top notch and well worth a visit. Porsche's relatively brief history compared with the others makes for a more compact collection but one with great impact. I was extremely happy when I saw one Porsche 917 but my jaw dropped when I went a little farther along and saw six of them lined up next to each other.

RacingJunkie's advice to allocate more time to the Mercedes museum vs. the Porsche museum when in Stuttgart was spot on. While the Porsche museum can be covered pretty thoroughly in 3 hours, the Mercedes museum needs 4 or 5 hours to see everything - that's to be expected with their much longer history.

The BMW museum in Munich was also a great place to visit and I was thrilled to see a 3.0 CSL "Batmobile" race car included in the exhibit, as well as an M1 and a 2002 that reminded me of the one my dad owned.

My favorite unexpected exhibit was the Unimog with a giant snow blower attachment at the Mercedes museum. I'd plow the highways for free if I had one of them!

If you like cars and are in Stuttgart and/or Munich, make the time for one or more of these museums.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta, Continental, United, USAir, Marriott, Best Western, Super 8, Holiday Inn
A friend of mine bought a 5-Series a few years back and did the Euro Delivery. I think he toured Western and Central Europe for for about a week before he gave the car back and they prepared it for shipping. The delivery facility is part of the complex where the museum is. From the photos I saw, it is a VERY impressive structure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.