Motorsport Tourism?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motorsport Tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Folks, you're making a strong argument for traveling internationally. Me and my pile of AA miles will be doing some flight shopping...
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Monaco was amazing for me, not because of the race itself but because of the history and location. It was THE RACE as a kid, and I loved every minute of being there live.

However would not be a race I'd take someone who wasn't an F1 fan to. Hemmed in, expensive and dull racing usually.

Hungary is quite good for new fans. In a large bowl so you can see racing at lots of places. Decent prices and close to the city (Budapest) for commuting.

Took the GF to Monaco last year. The only racing she had been exposed to prior was joining me at Laguna for two of my races.

She thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Monaco and the race action, the shopping, walking around, the cars, the fans. She even desired a Lewis 44 hat. The race was great this year with lots of action and the home town boy Leclerc driving like an idiot.

There are more to the races than just racing. If you don't go to ALL the events, it is a quick enjoyable day at the race.
spotbeagle and GregWTravels like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: Iberia
Originally Posted by Visconti
Couldn't agree more! They're passionate and understand the nuance of the sport, the sabermetricians of motor racing, and I always marvel at some of their insights that I may have missed. Great thing about racing, in particular F1, is the sheer amount of quantitative data and metrics one can analyze when trying to make predictions.

PS - After this thread, think I'll add the Hungary GP on my to-do list.
Adding to the motorsport "to-do list" is always good. I am headed this year to back to back WSBK rounds (Catalunya and Magny-Cours). Mom has been going with me to Laguna Seca every year since 2010 which revived her interest in F1 and 2 wheel racing. Brought her to Imola in 2018 and am bringing her this year (her idea to add Catalunya when she saw it was back to back weekends). Today she suggested we start thinking about planning for a MotoGP or WSBK round at Assen for 2021. Having a mom that loves this stuff as much as you do = priceless.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by spotbeagle
Having a mom that loves this stuff as much as you do = priceless.
Couldn't agree more! Regarding WSPK, I recall many years ago a lower tier race in Macau where the then world's # 2 ranked rider showed up for the race. The disparity of talent between classes were so great, he won the race while finishing the final lap in a wheelie. The only other times I recall seeing such a disparity of talent is in Boxing.
spotbeagle likes this.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
This past weekend I was meant to be in the Netherlands, watching the Dutch GP return to the F1 calendar. Was excited as a traveller as well, as I was meant to be taking the direct London-Amsterdam Eurostar journey, and the return as well (which had only recently opened). Instead, I was sitting in my small garden in London enjoying the sun.

Just reading this article from Racefans.net, which I thought was interesting. Not sure I agree with all the points and conclusions, but thought this was interesting about the costs of travelling to racing events as we go forward.

All this assumes that hordes of fans will reach ‘away’ circuits in the first place: Talk in airline circles is of massively hiked ticket prices and deletion of centre seats, which will make ‘foreign’ F1 events less affordable fans, with stringent health and visa requirements making it increasingly unpleasant. Until effective vaccines are developed air travel could be banned at a stroke; and who would risk cash on that (again)?
I have been taking a trip a year to get to an F1 event, but my income has been cut by Covid 19, and if it doesn't return and I have to choose between my ski holiday or my F1 trip, I'd probably ski and watch racing on TV at home.

I also wonder how city centre street races like Monaco, Baku and Singapore can and will run.
spotbeagle likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:10 pm

It's an interesting thought for sure. I just mentioned in another thread that I'm glad Circuit of the Americas hasn't sent me an invoice for this year's GP tickets because no way am I giving them that much money with so much doubt as to if the race will even happen.

F1 races are fairly unique in the sporting world, IMO. Most people travel at least some distance to attend and they are just huge events.

If it gets too expensive to attend, I'll just go to more regional races. I already go to a lot of other racing series events, but F1 hasn't been the most exciting thing lately and it's just not worth thousands to attend anymore. I'll still watch every single race, for sure, but I can't justify spending so much for a race when the best two racing events I saw all season last year was 3 hours drive and the other a 2 hour flight. Tickets under $100 for each event.
spotbeagle and GregWTravels like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by MissJ
It's an interesting thought for sure. I just mentioned in another thread that I'm glad Circuit of the Americas hasn't sent me an invoice for this year's GP tickets because no way am I giving them that much money with so much doubt as to if the race will even happen.

F1 races are fairly unique in the sporting world, IMO. Most people travel at least some distance to attend and they are just huge events.

If it gets too expensive to attend, I'll just go to more regional races. I already go to a lot of other racing series events, but F1 hasn't been the most exciting thing lately and it's just not worth thousands to attend anymore. I'll still watch every single race, for sure, but I can't justify spending so much for a race when the best two racing events I saw all season last year was 3 hours drive and the other a 2 hour flight. Tickets under $100 for each event.
And this is precisely the dilemna that faces Liberty Media, F1's owners. Even with the proposed budget caps (which the large teams are trying to resist, and can avoid), it's still a vastly expensive event to stage. Whilst it's probably better on tv than in person, you lose all the glamour associated with the sport, which is a large part of its draw. Racing behind closed doors is not a long term option, but how do you persuade the celebs to go if the glamour is sucked out of it?
mmff likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Well, I'm going to start and see if we can revive this thread. After two years of car events being cancelled. I've booked trips for 2022 to do a few events

6/19 F1 Canadian GP
Fly to LHR the Wednesday after and hit
6/23-6/25 Goodwood Festival of Speed
7/1-7/3 Silverstone
Fly to Vienna
7/8-7/1 Austrian Gran Prix

Be a wild 4-5 weeks of petrol goodness.
spotbeagle likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Thinking about Las Vegas in November. Any tips for a rookie?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.