Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost I-94 and Boarding Pass

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Lost I-94 and Boarding Pass

I was given white I-94 on entry on 2nd November, 2007. I missed to return back my I-94 when I was leaving USA (The expiry date of I-94 was May 2008). I travelled from Delta airlines. I came back to Pakistan and I lost I-94 and boarding passes too. However still I have photocopy of I-94.
In my case entry stamp in my home country and bank statement would be enough to prove that I left USA?

Please guide me urgently because I have to go to USA on J1 visa in January, 2013, I am afraid they may deny entry. I will highly appreciate your response?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
What do you mean you missed to give your I-94? Are you sure about this? The airline was required to collect the form from you when you checked in for your fight leaving the US.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
This thread may help:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ied-minor.html
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by blueslip
What do you mean you missed to give your I-94? Are you sure about this? The airline was required to collect the form from you when you checked in for your fight leaving the US.
It happens all the time that the airline forgets to collect the I-94, either due to negligence or because it may not be obvious that they should, e.g. if you are going overseas via Canada.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Just your passport should be enough I think. My in laws (Thailand) passport have had this happen like twice even though I tell them to make sure it is taken each time. It used to be done at the gate but I think it is done at check in now so it makes it go smoother. I could be wrong about that but pretty sure last time they left the country it was done at check in.

Each time they had to go to the secondary inspection and explain themselves which caused about 15 minutes delay but as long as you are prepared with info like a passport with stamps entering other countries you should be fine.

If you are really worried you can send info to the local embassy and they can clear it up before you land.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I would say this is a problem because for all they know, you could've been overstaying for the last four years.

I would try to clear this up at the US consulate local to you, although I imagine the wait time at your local consulate would be past your travel date.

If you absolutely must travel, find some alternate proof of what you have been doing and where you have been since you left the US. An entry stamp back home may not be sufficient at this point.

Best to talk to an immigration attorney really.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by turtleisland
I would say this is a problem because for all they know, you could've been overstaying for the last four years.

I would try to clear this up at the US consulate local to you, although I imagine the wait time at your local consulate would be past your travel date.

If you absolutely must travel, find some alternate proof of what you have been doing and where you have been since you left the US. An entry stamp back home may not be sufficient at this point.

Best to talk to an immigration attorney really.
Immigration attorney? Why? That is way overboard. Do you have any first hand experience with this subject?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
This page on the US Customs and Border Protection website tells you what to do

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...VYdm9jbA%3D%3D
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Chris C
This page on the US Customs and Border Protection website tells you what to do

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...VYdm9jbA%3D%3D
Doesn't this link apply to someone who is in the US only. It seems to me that the OP is in Pakistan. Does the USCIS have an office there?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Doesn't this link apply to someone who is in the US only. It seems to me that the OP is in Pakistan. Does the USCIS have an office there?

Here is the correct link,
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...lkL0xfQlJ0cGNs

The OP has apparently already received or in the process of receiving a J1 visa so they would clear it up before hand at the same place that gave them that visa and to be honest if they have already received the visa then I doubt they will have any problems whatsoever or else it would have come up during that process.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueslip
No airline did not collect my I-94. I also did not know that I have to give it back. So i came home with I-94, which I lost it later.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I travel out and back into the US on a monthly basis and I seem to remember that gate agents uniformly stopped looking for I-94 around the time ESTA/Visa Waiver Program passengers ceased to be given I-94. Now the only people who get them are passengers on some form of visa (including long-term ones).
Since them, I forget to give my I-94 half of the time when I leave the US for a weekend. I usually remember about it when I get back into the US and give it to the CBP agent. They don't seem to be too bothered about it, although the fact that I have several dozen CBP stamps on my passport already and am a VWP covered country citizen anyway might be easing suspicions.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Had this happen to me about 10 years ago. I got back home and realised that it hadn't been collected. I've been back to the US about 3 or 4 times since and it has never been an issue.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:17 am

The I-94 is superfluous nowadays with the latest generation of APIS. Nothing really to worry about under most circumstances.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Had this happen to me about 10 years ago. I got back home and realised that it hadn't been collected. I've been back to the US about 3 or 4 times since and it has never been an issue.
It happened to me several years ago.

When I got home, I posted the I-94 back to the USA, with a letter explaining that it was not collected on my departure from the US - I think there was an address on the form somewhere.

Been back to the US multiple times since then and never had a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.