FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   obese pax denied boarding (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1411032-obese-pax-denied-boarding.html)

GUWonder Nov 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by DL Platinum (Post 19750168)
KLM was the original carrier. Delta is only tied because they tried to help this lady after KLM could or would not. It is unfortunate and tragic, but she did refuse medical treatment in the country she was in. I can hardly see how DL has responsibility here. Rather, shouldn't we look at the husband who knew of her weight and mobility issues and should have booked a seat that would accommodate her? He did book two coach seats for her so maybe he tried, but most carriers have seats called "business" or "first class". A person of her size would have at least "fit" in the forward cabin. Not sure what the weight limits are of those seats, but I've seen many a person of size up front.

Didn't she fly on a DL flight to AMS?

One-way ticket to ____ after buying a roundtrip ticket from DL via AMS?

The "forward cabin" doesn't work as well for such obese passengers as multiple seats in the back cabin of a plane with three adjoining seats.

GUWonder Nov 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 19750351)
Misleading/dramatic thread titles such as this are one (of many) things that make DL executives dismissive of FlyerTalk @:-)

:rolleyes:

DL flew this woman to Europe and so did KLM? Neither flew her back.

GUWonder Nov 26, 2012 7:59 pm

The airlines were able to board here even in October.

Originally Posted by empedocles (Post 19747022)
They could fly her there but couldn't fly her back? :confused:

Maybe she gained weight and had further health complications in Hungary that further compromised her mobility after DL flew her to Europe and KL flew her beyond AMS in mid-September?

122554 Nov 26, 2012 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 19750351)
Misleading/dramatic thread titles such as this are one (of many) things that make DL executives dismissive of FlyerTalk @:-)

My condolences to the husband, but I think the LH spokesman was the must blunt and correct: “The question was never the seat belt. The question was the mobility of the passenger.”

What is misleading about the title? Please let me know with your infinite wisdom how you would have worded it.

Thank You

jetta2.0t Nov 26, 2012 8:23 pm

They could afford a vacation home in Hungary but not.......well, nevermind. I'm joining the personal responsibility bandwagon. And, they bought a vacation home in a country where they didn't trust the medical community? Just looking at this woman's picture tells me her diabetes didn't pop up out of the blue one day.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Nov 26, 2012 8:46 pm

FWIW while flying is the first choice for many taking a cargo ship is also an option.

Stripe Nov 26, 2012 8:47 pm

As usual in these cases, the lesson here is to travel with medical evacuation insurance. Especially if you are in ill health.

Having grown up in Hungary their suspicion of the medical establishment there may have been well founded but they could have driven a short distance to a number of other nearby countries to obtain world class care.

N830MH Nov 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 19750420)
The airlines were able to board here even in October.

Maybe she gained weight and had further health complications in Hungary that further compromised her mobility after DL flew her to Europe and KL flew her beyond AMS in mid-September?

Yes, that's why she ate too much foods, and it's very uncomfortable for her to fly. She didn't stop eating too much foods. She could die. She ate a junk foods. She didn't exercise, and she didn't lose the weight. She have to do exercise everyday.

N830MH Nov 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar (Post 19750662)
FWIW while flying is the first choice for many taking a cargo ship is also an option.

Absolutely not! They won't even allow it. Only cruise ship. There's was no way to put her in the cargo ship. She will get seasick. She wasn't too uncomfortable for her to fly.

SOBE ER DOC Nov 26, 2012 9:37 pm

If an airline believes it is unsafe to fly you due to medical risk they can refuse boarding. Last thing the airline needs is a dead body on a several hour flight or having to put down somewhere on the way to have an ambulance cart someone off the plane.

I agree, while unfortunate, there is an element of personal responsibility here. DL should fight this with every lawyer they have.

javabytes Nov 26, 2012 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 19750840)
Absolutely not! They won't even allow it. Only cruise ship. There's was no way to put her in the cargo ship. She will get seasick. She wasn't too uncomfortable for her to fly.

Wrong. There are plenty of opportunities to travel as a passenger on a cargo ship. Whether it would be advisable to do so while in a state of medical decline is another matter.

Doc Savage Nov 26, 2012 11:19 pm

425lbs. is enormous, too big to fit in two regular airline seats, and too big to fit in F seats. I'd be surprised if any Y row had enough space for her to fit from the anterior-posterior perspective. It sounds like multiple heroic attempts were made to try to load her onto aircraft, even using fire crews to help. I see no blame whatsoever lying with the airlines.

Life expectancy when one weighs 425 lbs. is pretty short, especially if they have severe enough diabetes to already have had a leg amputated and be nearing dialysis as this lady seemed to be.

As mentioned, even though health care in Hungary is questionable, the drive to France or Germany is not that far.

RIP.

Hope the judge imposes penalties for filing a frivolous suit.

CDTraveler Nov 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by 122554 (Post 19750438)
What is misleading about the title? Please let me know with your infinite wisdom how you would have worded it.

Thank You

I'm not the person you responded to, but I agree your title for this thread is inappropriate. The woman did not die because the airlines were unable to transport her, she died because she refused to seek medical care despite being in renal failure.

A more accurate title would be something like "Morbidly obese woman dies after refusing medical care while traveling."

Jinxy Nov 26, 2012 11:38 pm

NY woman dead after KLM won't fly her.

Very sad and difficult situation for all involved.

chx1975 Nov 27, 2012 12:59 am

Originally Posted by averycampbell (Post 19746930)
If y'all don't fit, y'all don't fit. It sucks, but she really should of sought medical treatment in Hungary. There are American-quality clinics in Budapest.

For the archives: the single American-quality hospital in Hungary is in Telki and it's not something any insurance would cover, I would suspect. But then again, while it's prohibitively expensive for most living there, we are talking of a few thousand dollars, perhaps 5K. There are some limited service private clinics at Budapest but they are not a hospital.