FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Anyone like flying just for fun? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1409590-anyone-like-flying-just-fun.html)

IamHungry Nov 21, 2012 7:56 am

Anyone like flying just for fun?

I wonder if anyone here like to just to be on the plane? I know if you use award travel with united then you can do some weird long routing before you reach your destination.

Please share your experience and your routing!

AeroWesty Nov 21, 2012 8:07 am

Originally Posted by IamHungry (Post 19723193)
Please share your experience

Yes, of course. I was told that my first spoken word wasn't the usual mama or dada, but "jet". ^

enki Nov 21, 2012 8:29 am

I often think that the whole purpose of participating in FT is to indulge my enjoyment of flying for fun. The routings I have are insane from any normal perspective, but I love them, and continue to find joy in little things about flying. Because I fly so much for work, I think it's also a way of coping, a kind of cognitive dissonance.

lovely15 Nov 21, 2012 8:41 am

I don't fly just for fun. Commercial air travel is just a way to keep my job. What's so fun about packing your belongings into one small bag, getting sexually assaulted at a security checkpoint, and then spending the next four hours with your knees in your chest while the 500 pound guy next to you spills over into your seat?

1011TriStar Nov 21, 2012 8:42 am

I wonder if anyone here like to just to be on the plane? I know if you use award travel with united then you can do some weird long routing before you reach your destination.

Please share your experience and your routing!

Most definitely :) Normally when I book, the routing plan depends quite a bit on trying new airlines and different types of planes. Loved flying and planes ever since I was a kid.

Sheikh Yerbooty Nov 21, 2012 8:43 am

Yes, but not onboard an airliner. Firing up the Jabiru on a nice sunny day with no wind and a good mate to keep me company, pottering about and deciding on destination based on what we'd like for lunch, that's flying for fun. Airliner passenger flying .... that's mainly a hassle, sometimes a pain.

lovely15 Nov 21, 2012 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty (Post 19723508)
Yes, but not onboard an airliner. Firing up the Jabiru on a nice sunny day with no wind and a good mate to keep me company, pottering about and deciding on destination based on what we'd like for lunch, that's flying for fun. Airliner passenger flying .... that's mainly a hassle, sometimes a pain.

Slight threadjack - did you build it?

Sheikh Yerbooty Nov 21, 2012 8:54 am

Originally Posted by lovely15 (Post 19723551)
Slight threadjack - did you build it?

I wouldn't trust myself to build something my life depends on, so, no. I own a 1/4 share in the kite. 2 of the other members are commercial pilots but, most importantly the 4th guy is a B2 licensed aircraft engineer. He gets to do all the really important things us airheads cannot be trusted with, which is maintenance. And he's very, very, good at it.

The aircraft was bought used, built by a Swiss civil engineer. It was the 3rd aircraft he built, and none of them have fallen out of the skies yet.

Forrest Bump Nov 21, 2012 8:58 am

Just drop on the Mileage Run forum. You could get back shocked.

AeroWesty Nov 21, 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by lovely15 (Post 19723484)
What's so fun about packing your belongings into one small bag, getting sexually assaulted at a security checkpoint, and then spending the next four hours with your knees in your chest while the 500 pound guy next to you spills over into your seat?

Take-off, landing, and the sights outside the window. Traveling to somewhere new or visiting friends and family is a bonus.

I once received a rather sizable IDB voucher for a spur of the moment trip on a Friday night from SFO to Reno. When I got home, I called United and found flights I could apply the voucher towards just to fly somewhere the next day.

coachrowsey Nov 21, 2012 9:05 am

I wonder if anyone here like to just to be on the plane?!

Guilty as charged:D

UnitedFlyGuy Nov 21, 2012 9:08 am

Recently, non stop ORD-IAH were all booked so I opted for ORD-LHR-IAH.

Love flying for the hell of it.

yknot Nov 21, 2012 9:33 am

Anyone like flying just for fun?

Not since the last century.

:td:

Wally Bird Nov 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by yknot (Post 19723850)
Not since the last century.

:td:

Before that; flying stopped being fun in 1978.

bankops Nov 21, 2012 1:38 pm

Of course, the best is flying myself.

I get the best seat;
Nobody tells me my bag is too big;
I can't miss my flight;
I know when the pilot is lying;
I don't have to let anybody out;
I get to sleep with the copilot;
Nobody steals from my bag and leaves (or not) a little note;

However,
the seat doesn't recline
the service is terrible,