Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa fees

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Very interesting thread. We went to Brazil in 2008. We didn't need an airline ticket but you had to fill out the application online and have a barcode number to present to the consulate. The fee had to be paid with a post office money order and they were very strict about that method of payment as the only alternative. That said we were in and out of the Chicago consulate in a half hour.
Chicago's Brazilian consulate has always seemed like it's one of the easier ones to deal with, or at least used to be (no idea now). I got my Brazilian visa back in 2009, and while there was a decent amount of paperwork to fill out, it wasn't too bad of a process. I know they definitely asked back then for the info on arriving and departing flights (which made ours a little more interesting since we were actually departing via cruise ship), but I don't know how strict they were about it.

But heck, for the Chicago consulate, they even allowed one to mail in the application and passports, and would mail them back for you rather than having you come down in person for dropping off and picking up. I know at the time it seemed like they were one of the only consulates that were allowing it. (Obviously, there was an extra fee for this.). But as long as one was careful it wasn't that hard of a process.

However, back then you had to get the visa within 90 days of entering the country (I don't think that's true anymore). This became an issue late in the year when I was doing my application (although wasn't much of an issue for the Chicago consulate), because for some reason Brazil basically decided to drastically reduce the number of visas they were processing. As a result, for those consulates that required an appointment for an in person visit (especially the one in LA I believe), people were finding that it was impossible to actually get an appointment during that 90 day span they had. On top of that, they also decided that they were going to severely limit the number of visas they'd process from the visa service companies (I think the number I was hearing was along the lines of 5 per week), so if you tried going through one of those services, you were finding that they were tacking on a $300-$400 premium for a Brazil visa. I know there were a number of people that ultimately had to cancel cruises because of the mess things were at the time.

Thankfully, I managed to get a second trip out of that visa (still good for a couple years, but I don't expect to make it back in that time period), so it makes me feel a little better about the cost that was involved.

I actually find the countries that require you to pay an entry or exit fee on the spot in cash more annoying than the visas. Yeah, means you don't have to go through the visa process, but the idea that there's generally no way to pay it ahead of time, and it must be paid in cash is pretty annoying. Although I've heard at least one or two of the south american countries that I know did that are starting to require it paid ahead of time instead of at the airport (I think Argentina has done this?).
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I cancelled a planned holiday trip starting in Argentina and ending in Brazil in late 2010 or 2011, can't remember.

I was living on the West Coast, had to use the SFO embassy. There had been some kind of software upgrade in October, IIRC, and it went badly. All processing was shut down for days. Worse, I think at the same time, the Houston embassy was actually offering discounted rates (!) on visas - but folks in the SFO 'district' couldn't send their requests to Houston.

We were told minimum three weeks visa processing, very low daily quotas - 25, IIRC. If you submitted directly, you had to do the interview, but if you used a visa service you didn't (which struck me as bizarre).

I only got caught on that 'only option is to pay on arrival' once, in Chile. Ugh, it was nasty. Longest wait I've ever had entering a country - three hours in line to pay for whatever it was called (not actually a visa), then in line again for immigration/customs.

I'm often a bit nervous about 'visa-on-arrival' - I worry that I'll be the one in a million pax who encounters a 'bad apple' agent who decides not to grant me a visa. Unlikely, I know...

Cambodia was the best - scan your photo online, process the visa online, print it out at home - sweet.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:57 am

For an upcoming trip, I learned that getting a 6-month Indian visa here in France with my US passport would cost 144€. I thought that that was just too outrageous so I decided to book to Sri Lanka instead (ETA cheap and easy). I then learned that I can apply for the same Indian visa from within Sri Lanka at a cost of 48U$. Since I'm travelling for several months, it's feasible for me to do it that way.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Yet another complication with regard to Brazilian visas is that the presence of one in your passport can get you refused entry to many other countries, particularly in Asia, without additional inoculation documentation. The entry agents in those countries have no way of telling if you merely flew into Rio on holiday or spent your week in the deepest parts of the Amazon jungle. And even Rio is in the clutches of a Dengue Fever epidemic. Asian countries are more concerned about Malaria and Yellow Fever though.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by textibule
For an upcoming trip, I learned that getting a 6-month Indian visa here in France with my US passport would cost 144€. I thought that that was just too outrageous so I decided to book to Sri Lanka instead (ETA cheap and easy). I then learned that I can apply for the same Indian visa from within Sri Lanka at a cost of 48U$. Since I'm travelling for several months, it's feasible for me to do it that way.
Cost of visa usually depends on your nationality, or nationality on the passport you intend to get the visa on. The cost does not, depend on the country where you apply. I doubt that you could get it cheaper in Sir Lanka.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It seems very odd to me that the Brazilians would make a big deal out of giving a visa to US citizens - how many are going to try to stay in the country illegally? Take the money and run, I can see, but why all the drama?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It seems very odd to me that the Brazilians would make a big deal out of giving a visa to US citizens - how many are going to try to stay in the country illegally? Take the money and run, I can see, but why all the drama?
I think it's tit for tat.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Yaatri
But why not just take the money like Chile or Argentina? Why the kabuki theater of interviews, etc?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
It really helps to have more than one passport. I would not you my US passport in South America due to the visa fees but at this point am able to enter with no fees.

Algeria would be out regardless.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Indeed, as the cost for admission is "appreciated", by some, in terms beside merely financial terms. Tit for tat isn't all about just money. [Brazil never interviews me as a US citizen when applying for a Brazilian visa, but most Brazilians have to do the US interview thing if wanting to visit the US -- so that is not exactly tit for tat.]

I know some people that don't come to the US (or don't come any longer) because the hassle/harassment involved in getting a US visa is such that they wouldn't go through the process again/at all even as they have liquid assets that are exponetially greater in USD terms than that available to the average US citizen or even the top 5%.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:15 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Unverifiable personal anecdotes aside...

Approximately 400 Million people enter the United States each year.

Many are legal.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:33 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
It is a goal of mine to visit every country (currently at #140), so 55 or so remaining, half of which require visas. So visa costs won't deter me from visiting anywhere. My most expensive visa so far was for Iran, 150 Euro on my UK passport. That's ok though as I've saved more than that by using my UK passport to travel to Brazil, Chile and Argentina. Next most expensive was Cote d'Ivoire at $150. Though with all the invite+visa service fees I think Russia wins for all-in visa costs.

These are visa fees I remember paying:
Myanmar - $20
Suriname - $45
Kyrgyzstan - $100
Uzbekistan - $140
Kazakhstan - $40
Tajikistan - $25
Gabon - $100
Cameroon - $100
Nigeria - $112+$85 expedite fee
Benin - $20 in Accra
Togo - $30 at border
Burkina Faso - $20 at border (it's since gone up)
Mali - $140
Iran - 150EUR
Cote d'Ivoire - $150
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Chinese capitalism. An american complaining about capitalism?
I too would not pay $130 for one year visa, even if it's multiple entry. They decide what they charge, I decide whether I buy.
No, I was complaining about how they lie about the justification for the fee.

But I agree with your conclusion.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by chollie

I'm often a bit nervous about 'visa-on-arrival' - I worry that I'll be the one in a million pax who encounters a 'bad apple' agent who decides not to grant me a visa. Unlikely, I know...
Even a pre-approved visa, that doesn't guarantee admission to the country.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 1:37 am

The most expensive one is UK for any gulf passport (Qatar,UAE,Saudi...etc)

Biz/tourist (up to 6 months, single or multiple entry) $129

Biz/tourist(valid for up to 2 years) $446

Biz/tourist (valid for up to 5 years) $818

Biz/tourist (valid for up to 10 years) $1181

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/

-----------------------------------

We pay for a US B1/B2 visa $190 and it's valid for 5 years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.