FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Delta "Comfort Plus" vs. United "Economy Plus" - which is better? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1408482-delta-comfort-plus-vs-united-economy-plus-better.html)

muji Nov 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Delta "Comfort Plus" vs. United "Economy Plus" - which is better?

I will want to get more legroom on an upcoming U.S.-Japan itinerary. For those who have experienced both Delta "Economy Comfort Plus" and United "Economy Plus": Comfort-wise are they about the same? Price-wise do Delta and UA charge about the same? Do you prefer one over the other?

muji Nov 18, 2012 11:26 am

Since no one has yet commented on which option may be better, can I change the topic to ask for views on the comfort and cost of either United's Economy Plus or else Delta's Comfort Economy for a transPacific flight?

Note: Researching this question I found this comment on Delta's Comfort Economy by the Points Guy: "My biggest issue was the lack of padding on the seat. After 6 hours my bottom half felt numb."

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/02/delt...s-it-worth-it/

chollie Nov 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by muji (Post 19706056)
Since no one has yet commented on which option may be better, can I change the topic to ask for views on the comfort and cost of either United's Economy Plus or else Delta's Comfort Economy for a transPacific flight?

Note: Researching this question I found this comment on Delta's Comfort Economy by the Points Guy: "My biggest issue was the lack of padding on the seat. After 6 hours my bottom half felt numb."

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/02/delt...s-it-worth-it/

I've been happier with Delta, on the whole, but IFE is also a concern for me, and UA's TPAC IFE (10+ hour flight to PEK with dropdown monitors, 7+ hour flight to NRT, on to BKK with a 9-channel 'loop' on tiny tiny PTVs, very tiny choice of music) + poor personal overhead lighting tilt me towards DL.

However, I found legroom (other than possibly on the UA 777 bulkhead side rows) to be comparable on either one. On the UA 777 middle bulkhead (the 5-middle-seat config), the armrest between C-D raises (unusual for a bulkhead), so if you are on a light flight, you can get some added stretch out there.

muji Nov 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Thank you, Chollie.
I know that upgrading from economy to economy plus on United on the SEA-NRT route costs $119 each way. Would you know if Delta's Comfort Economy costs about the same? (I was unable to determine that cost; it seems you have to go through an actual ticket purchase process - and then the price for that upgrade option to Comfort Economy will appear at the end of the process.)

MSPeconomist Nov 18, 2012 6:48 pm

For the record, the DL (and KLM) product is called Economy Comfort abbreviated EC. It's not and has never been Comfort Plus.

ctbarron Nov 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Never gone TPAC but have flown cross country on both. There has never been much difference in comfort nor in price. I think there is an old thread in the Delta forum that may provide some price est's.

chollie Nov 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by muji (Post 19706593)
Thank you, Chollie.
I know that upgrading from economy to economy plus on United on the SEA-NRT route costs $119 each way. Would you know if Delta's Comfort Economy costs about the same? (I was unable to determine that cost; it seems you have to go through an actual ticket purchase process - and then the price for that upgrade option to Comfort Economy will appear at the end of the process.)

Wow, this is really weird. I thought I could get an answer with a dummy booking, but it doesn't let you process until actual purchase time (even though you can choose to upgrade to business class for a specific dollar amount before that).

Look at the Delta forum - there's a brilliant sticky on this put together and maintained by rwoman - terrific information on specific aircraft, and also a link to a spreadsheet where people have documented the (fluctuating) EC prices. Looks like SEA-NRT has been about $100 each way in the past. To confirm, find flights/dates you think you're interested in and then call Delta to confirm.

When I tried to make a dummy booking the first flight was DL non-stop SEA-NRT, but the next one (cheaper) was SEA-LAX-NRT, IIRC. You might want to check both options. The 'metal' from LAX is an airbus, the 'metal' from SEA is Boeing. The LAX option is $155+ cheaper total. You might check Seatguru to see if there's something about one plane or the other that appeals more to you.

thesly Nov 19, 2012 6:19 am

Last March I flew LAX to HND on Delta's A330. I flew at the front of EC. The product was not really worth an extra $120. However, the extra leg room that came along with the seat was wonderful. (Especially since it was a full flight) If I had the extra money I would "splurge" and go for it again. If I was already tight on my money, I wouldn't put down an additional $120.

hoyateach Nov 19, 2012 6:56 am

Welcome to FT, thesly.^

If the cost is the same and you're not wedded to a particular alliance, I'd go with DL for the superior IFE and, if you're flying on one, the new interiors on the ex-NW 744s.