Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Pls! Test Your Concierge With My Question About a Book!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: My travel agent

So far I haven't bought into the pay-as-you-go concierge deal since you couldn't recommend any but now I have a very special question I though would be a good test for a good concierge.

Would you be kind enough to ask my question from your concierge and report back to me on the forum? It would also be a great way to compare different concierge services as well!

So here's the question:

--

1st a little background from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_M...ter_and_writer
In 1998, Magee published Confessions of a Philosopher, which essentially offers an introduction to philosophy in autobiographical form. This latter book was involved in a libel lawsuit as a result of Magee repeating the rumour that Ralph Schoenman, a controversial associate of Bertrand Russell during the philosopher's final decade, had been planted by the CIA in an effort to discredit Russell. Schoenman successfully sued Magee for libel in the UK, with the result that the first printing of the British edition of the book was pulped.[citation needed] A second defamation suit, filed in California against Random House, was settled in 2001. The allegations were expunged by settlement, and a new edition was issued and provided to more than 700 academic and public libraries.[6]

The question: I want to buy the version of this book with the omitted text if possible just for fun; for the heck of it.

There are at least three editions on Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Ph.../dp/0375750363
http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Ph.../dp/B000M4K4UK
http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Ph.../dp/0753804719
The question is can I buy in 2012 the version of the book with the omitted text? If yes, which version is it?

--

So folks would you ask your concierge about it? My gratitude is forever yours!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The edition here indicates that it is the British version and that it was published in 1997, prior to the defamation suit. For the $10 "risk" I'd say it is probably the one you want.

You already did the research. At that point it is just a matter of reading the details on the Amazon pages. Not sure that you need someone else to do that for you or that I'd trust someone to get such a nuanced detail correct, particularly when it would take longer to explain the task than to just do it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
The edition here indicates that it is the British version and that it was published in 1997, prior to the defamation suit. For the $10 "risk" I'd say it is probably the one you want.

You already did the research. At that point it is just a matter of reading the details on the Amazon pages.
Thanks, actually you helped me. Your link points to the hardcover edition which is published by Orion, the original publisher. My link pointed to Phoenix Paperbacks.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Not sure that you need someone else to do that for you or that I'd trust someone to get such a nuanced detail correct, particularly when it would take longer to explain the task than to just do it.
If your concierge doesn't take e-mail orders.

But thanks anyways for your help!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:13 am

This sounds like the most interesting request I've seen in a while. "Ask your concierge to find or order a book for me." I remember trying to find a really obscure book that I read as a child, "(Abraham) Lincoln's Yarns and Stories". I found a copy in Powell's Book's in Portland, OR. Now you can get it on Kindle for free.

I always think of using concierges for local things, tickets for plays, advice on restaurants, local bookstores, buying flowers, etc. I would not think to ask them about buying books online.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
I always think of using concierges for local things, tickets for plays, advice on restaurants, local bookstores, buying flowers, etc. I would not think to ask them about buying books online.
Can't be a local everywhere. :/
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wayfahrer
So folks would you ask your concierge about it?
To answer your rather bizarre question: No, I would not ask a hotel concierge about the best source for a philosophy textbook.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Sky Miles, Air Tran A+
Ask your antiquarian bookseller or your librarian to isolate the correct edition.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
To answer your rather bizarre question: No, I would not ask a hotel concierge about the best source for a philosophy textbook.
Not a textbook. A book.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ladytraveler
Ask your antiquarian bookseller or your librarian to isolate the correct edition.
Do you mean antiquarian bookseller or your librarian if you are a British or an American? And how about the rest of the world who is neither British or American? Actually, the majority of the world's population. Thanks.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Okay, I'm confused. Are we talking about hotel concierges here? Why exactly would you expect a concierge to be the go-to guy for rare books? I thought concierges were supposed to know about services in their localities of use to guests, not about everything under the sun.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I think the OP is asking about subscription concierge services or some of the ones offered with certain credit cards.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think the OP is asking about subscription concierge services or some of the ones offered with certain credit cards.
Ah. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Yes, thanks for clarifying. I did say that I was confused, didn't I?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm also confused how this has anything to do with travel...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I'm also confused how this has anything to do with travel...
These concierge services are oriented toward travel, but can be used at home too, at least according to some of the T&Cs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.