Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Just offered a job that requires lots of travel

Just offered a job that requires lots of travel

Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DavidVIE
people please help me on that: There is one thing I really really hate about travelling, and it is the hotel chains.
In my opinion, there is a market gap in the hotel business:
1) there are five star hotels, each designed through and through by an architect, each tailored to the location, the culture, each hotel something special and therefore something to enjoy.
2) but in 4-Star hotel chains, they are all just... dull. the same thing all over again and all over again and all over again. neutral boring stuff.

I would think that there must be a chain where you can collect points, but still get a very special impression and design in every different location! Something to look forward to, something to remember! Why not? Does anyone know a chain like that?
Not any of the major ones.
My employer's policy is cheapest hotel in the city on your preferred chain.
Most of the time they are 3/4*.
(Although one time I had to stay at an airport location, and transport was provided on the subway.)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 5:17 pm

Just my input, but I hated traveling for work. It's one thing to travel with friends and family since that's always fun, but when I was traveling for work I couldn't quit fast enough and start a new career.

It was international travel, mostly through Asia and Europe - so you might have a different perspective if you're doing domestic and you COULD be home in 2-3 hours if you needed to.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Spunwasi
Just my input, but I hated traveling for work. It's one thing to travel with friends and family since that's always fun, but when I was traveling for work I couldn't quit fast enough and start a new career.

It was international travel, mostly through Asia and Europe - so you might have a different perspective if you're doing domestic and you COULD be home in 2-3 hours if you needed to.
I did the opposite... regular 1-2 hour hops and i HATED it after a while. I got so bored of getting up at 4am to go to the airport to catch a flight to some pointless airport i didnt want to go to.

Now, i do international mid haul about once a month and find it a much better balance.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by phol
I did the opposite... regular 1-2 hour hops and i HATED it after a while. I got so bored of getting up at 4am to go to the airport to catch a flight to some pointless airport i didnt want to go to.

Now, i do international mid haul about once a month and find it a much better balance.
Haha, but curb to gate is so easy at 4am!

It gets better if your partner is on the same travel schedule as you, any chance you can pitch that you're a team?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
I'd definitely take the 20% travel job over anything else. I spent 8 years bumping around the world, with the occasion to actually sight-see anything maybe 3 or 4 times. Often that was due to a lucky local holiday where I had to extend beyond for whatever reason (meeting on Tues, Weds local holiday, Thurs more meetings).

Like was posted on the first page, the man never saw the Eiffel Tower except from an airport taxi. That's how I felt.

One observation about saving money via per diems, it really depends on where you are. My company paid $45 per day for all incidentals and food. There was not much to do after a long day, except hang out at the hotel bar...at $10 for a drink. That plus meals definitely put me in the red most trips.
If I was trying to take money home by eating on the cheap, I'd pick up dinner at Burger King. And then I gained 20 pounds in doing so.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:50 pm
Suspended

I love the lifestyle.

Pros:
No office BS to deal with (or at least much less)
On your own, making your own timetable usually
Getting extra time to kill in nice places.
More airmiles than you know what to do with..F class, lounges, hotel upgrades..
It's not 9-5..but I like that. It may be a con for you.

Cons:
Hotels can be sucky sometimes
Traveling frustrations like weather and delays
It can be tough on the body.
Missing home

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.