Search

Ever been the only one in a Concourse

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP

I'm at Burlington VT and other than two concession workers and TSA I'm the only one in the concourse. In fact, I might be the only one in the airport passenger wise. Nice, like my own private airport.

Anyother like experiences?
Old Nov 3, 2012, 4:00 pm

Early flight out of ABE a few years ago and I had gotten in a bit early myself. TSA had people there to let me through and there was one guy working at a Subway. Kind of spooky actually.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 5:04 pm

Flew into PSM with a friend right around the time SX went out of business. At the FBO, he took care of paperwork and I borrowed the crew car to drive around the airport. For the heck of it, I went to the passenger terminal. Surprisingly, nothing was locked. I wandered around a bit around the empty building. It was like a scene out of 28 Days Later.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by mr_edward_p
Early flight out of ABE a few years ago and I had gotten in a bit early myself. TSA had people there to let me through and there was one guy working at a Subway. Kind of spooky actually.
+1
ABE has 2 flights that go out at 6 AM (and a bus, but that's another story). If you are there are before 5 very likely to be the only one there. After 5 the food place upstairs opens...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Back in student days, spent some nights in airports and was nearly the only person there. It is a bit of an odd sensation.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:37 am

I had an international connection in HAN a few years ago. I was the only passenger in the terminal and ended up watching tv (some peculiar soccer-kung fu comedy) with the cleaning staff.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:01 am

Close. Because of IRROPS I had to connect late in MKE a few years ago. I couldn't believe how empty it was, just a few passengers and no staff.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm at Burlington VT and other than two concession workers and TSA I'm the only one in the concourse. In fact, I might be the only one in the airport passenger wise. Nice, like my own private airport.

Anyother like experiences?
Yes. At some airports, if I use the restroom on arrival, I may be the only person there as even the TSA has packed up and left hours earlier and the way into and out of the departure-area concourse is via an automated contraption.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:56 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Several times. Sometimes due to IRROPS, sometimes due to staying in airport hotels and wanting to stretch my legs, sometimes due to tiny, tiny airports, and one time due to being unaware that the country I was in was observing different daylight savings to what I was expecting...

The oddest one has to be BSL. And MLH. Or was it BSL? Who knows. It's an odd airport at the best of times. Anyway, I was going to stay at the Formule 1 (yes, very glam, I know) down by St Louis la Chaussée station. I had a late night connection via ZRH, and was due on the last shuttle of the day from ZRH-BSL. However, due to some aircraft problems, we missed the last landing slot for BSL and were bussed from ZRH back to Basel.

Must have been 1 or 2am by the time we reached Basel. The driver offered to drop a load of people off at the SBB station, and so most people got off. A handful of us stayed on to the airport. All the others were Swiss, and so picked up their cars from the Swiss car park and drove home. Which left me.

For those who don't know BSL, it's an odd airport, which straddles the Swiss/French border. Half the airport is in Switzerland, half in France. As both are now Schengen states, this isn't quite so important now (although Switzerland is non-EU) but at the time, it wasn't. The problem I had was that I was in Switzerland, at 2am, in a closed airport, with a great big fence stopping me from getting into France.

However, I found that the airport was open. So I went in. Most lights were off, but the escalators were running, so I thought, well, let's look upstairs. And so it turned out that the upstairs border control was open and unmanned. So I walked through. And down, and back out on to French territory.

Of course, the airport was now closed, so there was no sign of buses, taxis or the like, so I ended up walking (in the snow) down the access road out to the hotel at St Louis.

Odd experience. Easy border crossing, though.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
Pittsburgh's terminal is a mid-field terminal in the shape of an X. One or more of the legs is often empty, particularly in the evening.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I slept in a row at chairs at ABQ many years ago (pre 9/11), after driving down from Santa Fe in a snowstorm to meet my wife's flight. The flight was cancelled and I camped out waiting for her morning arrival from Denver. There may have been folks somewhere that I didn't see, but I think I was pretty much on my own.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
one time at SIN, I was last in the security line to go into the gate area for last flight out to HKG. Security guy standing nearby looks at his watch, steps into the line in front of me and says '20 minutes, gate closed, no more' so after watching the plane finish boarding and pull away from the gate without me - I spent the night in SIN.

Except for the lady on the desk at SQ lounge, I didn't see a soul.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Arrived back at OME after breakfast this last July - nobody at all that I could see. I assumed there was a TSA person around somehwere. Eventually it got busier.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by stut
Several times. Sometimes due to IRROPS, sometimes due to staying in airport hotels and wanting to stretch my legs, sometimes due to tiny, tiny airports, and one time due to being unaware that the country I was in was observing different daylight savings to what I was expecting...

The oddest one has to be BSL. And MLH. Or was it BSL? Who knows. It's an odd airport at the best of times. Anyway, I was going to stay at the Formule 1 (yes, very glam, I know) down by St Louis la Chaussée station. I had a late night connection via ZRH, and was due on the last shuttle of the day from ZRH-BSL. However, due to some aircraft problems, we missed the last landing slot for BSL and were bussed from ZRH back to Basel.

Must have been 1 or 2am by the time we reached Basel. The driver offered to drop a load of people off at the SBB station, and so most people got off. A handful of us stayed on to the airport. All the others were Swiss, and so picked up their cars from the Swiss car park and drove home. Which left me.

For those who don't know BSL, it's an odd airport, which straddles the Swiss/French border. Half the airport is in Switzerland, half in France. As both are now Schengen states, this isn't quite so important now (although Switzerland is non-EU) but at the time, it wasn't. The problem I had was that I was in Switzerland, at 2am, in a closed airport, with a great big fence stopping me from getting into France.

However, I found that the airport was open. So I went in. Most lights were off, but the escalators were running, so I thought, well, let's look upstairs. And so it turned out that the upstairs border control was open and unmanned. So I walked through. And down, and back out on to French territory.

Of course, the airport was now closed, so there was no sign of buses, taxis or the like, so I ended up walking (in the snow) down the access road out to the hotel at St Louis.

Awesome story!!

Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by stut

Has your criminal past ever caught up with you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.