Horrible treatment by Canadian Customs/Immigration (CBSA) at YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrible treatment by Canadian Customs/Immigration (CBSA) at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Frankly, if were not an American or Canadian citizen, I would skip both countries altogether. There are far more interesting places to which to travel.
As one who's had the good fortune to have travelled widely around the world, this statement sounds a tad pretentious to me but then, you are of course entitled to your opinion. There are plenty of interesting places to travel on this magnificent blueish green orb we inhabit, and for many people Canada and America in particular rank right up there at or near the top of their list of desired destinations. The numbers bear it out with regard to most popular tourism destinations worldwide.

As an Alaska resident I've made many border crossings into Canada by land, though I've also flown into Canada through a variety if gateway cities as well. I always expect Customs to do their duty in any country I visit and as such I think my overall demeanor and comfort level with Customs officials reflect that. Despite my appearance (Beard, longer hair, backpack) and/or occasionally peculiar itineraries, I've generally always been treated with respect and courtesy despite having gotten the second degree on a couple of occasions while entering Canada.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Nov 8, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern
For those of you who are US citizens, please understand that what you experience entering your country is not what the rest of us experience, and that for many of us, entering the US is pretty much one of the worst experiences we have during travel.
I have been entering the USA on tourist visas, on Green Card, and finally on US passport. Of course, it is my personal experience, but I have not noticed a drastic difference in treatment or length of questioning from INS and [later] CBP agents. I would even say that if you are subjected to a "regular" interview at the primary, the level of privacy intrusion would be the same for foreigners and returning US citizens. It is still quite high for my taste... would rather prefer the speedy [and quiet] process of entering Germany.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:26 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was then told "empty your pockets and step away from the table". . . . .Meanwhile, I was asked over and over again what drugs I took and what I'd been arrested for. The more I said "none and nothing", the more I said "I'm going to Alaska for fun" the more condescending and accusatory they became.

They saw I had an entry stamp from SDQ on 9/1 and an exit on 9/3 and told me "I've never heard of anyone staying only two days, why were you REALLY there?". They didn't believe that I'd gone because "it's there". They asked how much money I made and then chose to run a criminal background check on me. The whole ordeal took over 45 minutes. . .
This is almost a verbatim account of my experience arriving at YVR from SEA on QX last Christmas Day. My US passport was taken away and I was held in an empty room for 45 minutes. The only interaction I had with anyone during that time was an officer who told me I was sitting in the wrong chair. Finally, the officer returned and asked me to empty my backpack. He then gave me the same third degree as the OP experienced. Next he asked for my wallet, held it up, flipped it open, and shook it vigorously until its contents spilled out. What did not fall out he yanked out and slammed down on the table. I guess he must have been satisfied that I was not a criminal at that point, because he mumbled that I was free to go.

I can understand a certain amount of brusqueness on his part if he suspected I was some sort of criminal. I wasn't expecting any courtesy, but I don't think it was unreasonable for me to expect the officer to conduct himself professionally. I don't know if YVR has just a few "bad apples" (maybe it was the same officer) or if this is a pattern, but I'm not looking forward to my next flight into YVR, an otherwise wonderful airport.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As one who's had the good fortune to have travelled widely around the world, this statement sounds a tad pretentious to me but then, you are of course entitled to your opinion. There are plenty of interesting places to travel on this magnificent blueish green orb we inhabit, and for many people Canada and America in particular rank right up there at or near the top of their list of desired destinations. The numbers bear it out with regard to most popular tourism destinations worldwide.

As an Alaska resident I've made many border crossings into Canada by land, though I've also flown into Canada through a variety if gateway cities as well. I always expect Customs to do their duty in any country I visit and as such I think my overall demeanor and comfort level with Customs officials reflect that. Despite my appearance (Beard, longer hair, backpack) and/or occasionally peculiar itineraries, I've generally always been treated with respect and courtesy despite having gotten the second degree on a couple of occasions while entering Canada.
While that may be true for you, my guess is that you've never had to enter the US or Canada as a brown male in the last decade. These days I usually don't get it as much but I'm pretty much resigned to my fate and I will usually schedule long layovers at my point of entry just to be able to make a connecting flight. Just answer the questions and keep calm.

I'm lucky that as a US citizen, the longest I've been detained was about 2 hours. Some of my friends who aren't have experienced 5-7 hour wait times although that was a few years ago and I think now it's not too bad anymore.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by blahter
While that may be true for you, my guess is that you've never had to enter the US or Canada as a brown male in the last decade. These days I usually don't get it as much but I'm pretty much resigned to my fate and I will usually schedule long layovers at my point of entry just to be able to make a connecting flight. Just answer the questions and keep calm.

I'm lucky that as a US citizen, the longest I've been detained was about 2 hours. Some of my friends who aren't have experienced 5-7 hour wait times although that was a few years ago and I think now it's not too bad anymore.
These are indeed different times and no doubt being an American of French/Scottish descent has likely expeditied matters somewhat for me. The primary concerns that Canadian Customs have expressed to me over the past ten years have been guns and drugs. Guns was a big one, though. I seemed to have that gunrunner look - at least in the eyes of Canadian customs officials. I once had an agent at an Idaho border checkpoint ask me three times if I was really certain I didn't have any guns or weapons in my truck. He then detained me for about an hour while he assumedly ran my name through all manner of criminal databases. Oddly enough, my truck was never inspected.

This picture was taken in 1999. Would you let me into your country?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:24 pm

It was in the beard, wasn't it? Interesting method of concealment....
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:47 am

I would let you in to my country based on that awesome beard alone.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:44 am

These are indeed different times and no doubt being an American of French/Scottish descent has likely expeditied matters somewhat for me. The primary concerns that Canadian Customs have expressed to me over the past ten years have been guns and drugs. Guns was a big one, though. I seemed to have that gunrunner look - at least in the eyes of Canadian customs officials. I once had an agent at an Idaho border checkpoint ask me three times if I was really certain I didn't have any guns or weapons in my truck. He then detained me for about an hour while he assumedly ran my name through all manner of criminal databases. Oddly enough, my truck was never inspected.
The Canadians do seem obsessed with guns. Crossing into Canada this past summer with child, cat and bicycles in the mommy style station wagon I was repeatedly asked about guns, knives, pepper spray, etc. Did I look like a gun runner?

Way back in 1999 was treated to a harangue by the car rental clerk at Calgary airport about the evils of bringing guns into Canada. It's worth noting I don't even own one, let alone travel with one.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
The Canadians do seem obsessed with guns. Crossing into Canada this past summer with child, cat and bicycles in the mommy style station wagon I was repeatedly asked about guns, knives, pepper spray, etc. Did I look like a gun runner?

Way back in 1999 was treated to a harangue by the car rental clerk at Calgary airport about the evils of bringing guns into Canada. It's worth noting I don't even own one, let alone travel with one.
Well, Canada has strict gun laws (and good for them!), while the US, er, doesn't.

I'm sure Canada gets lots of Americans who try to cross the border with guns, in some cases without even thinking it would be an issue.

Furthermore, I'm sure there are lots of gun runners who don't fit whatever image you might have in your mind. Just as there are little old grannies who smuggle drugs.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Well, Canada has strict gun laws (and good for them!), while the US, er, doesn't.

I'm sure Canada gets lots of Americans who try to cross the border with guns, in some cases without even thinking it would be an issue.

Furthermore, I'm sure there are lots of gun runners who don't fit whatever image you might have in your mind. Just as there are little old grannies who smuggle drugs.
So of course it is logical and consistent for Canadian provinces, cities, parks and resorts to advertise hunting with guns at every travel and sporting expo that I've been to in the last decade?

As for the way you say "I'm sure" about guns at the border and what I might have in mind: speculation on your part does not make for a convincing post.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC

Absolutely - that beard should automatically let you into Canada or the UK. Hell I think if the Taliban were still running Afghanistan, you would be allowed in there too!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:55 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...uard-shot.html
They also have a personal interest in whether or not you're carrying a weapon.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: Enough
Meh, whenever you go through customs you risk this. You win some, you lose some. Get NEXUS.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
As for the way you say "I'm sure" about guns at the border and what I might have in mind: speculation on your part does not make for a convincing post.
I've been working the border for 15 years. He's right, you're wrong.

Convincing enough?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by averycampbell
Meh, whenever you go through customs you risk this. You win some, you lose some. Get NEXUS.
In the case of Nexus, when you lose, you lost it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.