Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrible treatment by Canadian Customs/Immigration (CBSA) at YVR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
There's the reason for the third degree.
What was suspicious about that? I tried explaining, quite honestly, that two days was all the time I had off from work (Labor Day Weekend)
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This doesn't sound like anything more than a fairly typical secondary in many countries, including the US.

I would bet that the 2 days in the DR was what did it here. It's not a question of whether you did anything wrong, it's simply sufficiently suspicious that it gets flagged for further questioning and a search.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by Often1
This doesn't sound like anything more than a fairly typical secondary in many countries, including the US.

I would bet that the 2 days in the DR was what did it here. It's not a question of whether you did anything wrong, it's simply sufficiently suspicious that it gets flagged for further questioning and a search.
Especially if DR was the ONLY (or by the sounds of it, one of the very few) stamps in your passport.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:20 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Customs agents in both Canada and US are equally as interested in interviewing passengers that meet certain criteria.

As much as it is common place in Flyer Talk, flying internationally for 48 hours is a red flag in itself. Add that you have a history of flying to countries that are known transshipment countries for drugs will cause more unwanted attention. Returning to the US on a bizarre indirect routing (Colombia to USA via Asia/Europe) will also cause you similar unwanted attention. Pay for your ticket at the last minute in cash and you will get even more unpleasantness.

These guys do have a job to do at the marching orders of the government of the day. In Canada, they do not need a warrant to go through your phone at the airport or at a land crossing.

I'd have to echo I Can Fly US Airways here, Global Entry is your friend. My time is worth more than $100 an hour to sit thru the secondary.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
There's the reason for the third degree.
I agree. Being a Canadian myself, I have never had issue with our customs agents, but then again, I've also never gone to a foreign country (other than USA) for less than a week.

I also agree that entering the US as a Canadian is like taking a university exam (lots of questions, with 100% of your mark based on the one test).

I will only speak about Canada/USA customs, because that is where most of my experience lies....regardless of the legality of searching you, your phone, computer, etc....try arguing it at the time and see where you get. They can deny entry to the country, for any reason, to anyone (citizen or not).
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Mods, feel free to move this if it belongs in Travel Safety/Security or Canada.

So here's the background. I wanted to go to Alaska for my birthday and I've been wanting to fly Cathay Pacific for a long time. I decided to combine the two and booked a JFK-YVR flight on CX in First and then bought an Alaska ticket from YVR-SEA-ANC. When I arrived at YVR I explained this to the first agent I saw and he wrote some numbers on my customs declaration that indicated I was to be sent to secondary screening. Here is where the "fun" started.

Never in my life have I been made to feel more like a criminal. I have friends who have been arrested who were treated better. I explained what I was doing and showed my Alaska E-Ticket reservation to a female agent who promptly requested a supervisor. I was then told "empty your pockets and step away from the table". The two of them looked through all the pictures in my camera, then turned on my cell phone and proceeded to read through my emails and texts and scroll through the photos therein. Meanwhile, I was asked over and over again what drugs I took and what I'd been arrested for. The more I said "none and nothing", the more I said "I'm going to Alaska for fun" the more condescending and accusatory they became.

They saw I had an entry stamp from SDQ on 9/1 and an exit on 9/3 and told me "I've never heard of anyone staying only two days, why were you REALLY there?". They didn't believe that I'd gone because "it's there". They asked how much money I made and then chose to run a criminal background check on me. The whole ordeal took over 45 minutes and what upset me the most was I HAD DONE NOTHING WRONG. The more I explained why I was there, the less they believed me. I almost wanted to start lying so hopefully they'd believe me and let me go. When I asked what they expected to find in my phone they snapped "the Customs Act allows us to look through your phone so be quiet".
Absolutely frickin disgusting.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

So, basically the OP had a mean customs agent.

On behalf of Canada, I'm sorry that... Oh wait there's nothing to be sorry about.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:50 pm

I'm assuming you don't, as you state, have a criminal record. However Canadian border officials have access to US records and vice versa. Many Americans convicted of a DUI (often only a misdemeanor in US) aren't admitted into Canada.

Your travel pattern plus the fact that someone with the same name as you may have had a drug related arrest could have flagged you. The border guard used the means they had to determine if you were admissible.

My experiences with Canadian officials have always been a walk in the park compared to the Americans (I'm neither a Canadian or American national though I've lived in Canada for 2.5 years now).

I dread us border crossings every time even though I've nothing to hide.

Border guards are trained to be d*cks to try to stop unwanted persons from entering. Sucks if you're innocent but it helps keep the people you don't want in your country out.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Because I'm cheap, period. I only travel out of the country twice a year (this was my first time in Canada in 60 some odd months). I'd rather have the $100 or whatever in my pocket and not have to go to the interviews and deal with this, than avoid it and spend the money. For a once to twice a year international traveler who doesn't make all that much money, Nexus and Global Entry don't make all that much sense.
I don't know....Unless the price has gone up, NEXUS is $50 and if you get it first, you automatically get GE. I agree with the other posters, that gets the price per trip down to where it makes a lot of sense.

And the NEXUS interview isn't nearly the hassle that the interview you just went through was.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
They saw I had an entry stamp from SDQ on 9/1 and an exit on 9/3 and told me "I've never heard of anyone staying only two days, why were you REALLY there?". They didn't believe that I'd gone because "it's there".
As someone else said, this is the whole reason. Customs (regardless of Cda or the US) has a ton of power, even more than the police. Ever heard of Maher Arar?

Seriously, with those stamps, the weird itin, and the claim you "only travel twice a year", even I'd think you're a drug mule.

When I asked what they expected to find in my phone they snapped "the Customs Act allows us to look through your phone so be quiet".
And, they're 100% correct. I guess you're lucky they didn't snap on the gloves and ask you to bend over...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
I gave up on YVR a several years ago. Vancouver is one of my favorite cities. I love it. But I decided to just stay away since I am not wanted there. I always get these questions during the 45 minute interview: "Why are you here. Why are you really here? Who do you know here? Who are you going to meet?"
They found a packet of nuts and a packet of pretzels from the airline I had tucked in my pocket and was threatened with a fine. Out of the goodness of his heart he did not fine me. "Just don't let this happen again".
I won't.
It was easier getting into East Germany.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Just an FYI, GE/NEXUS make it more likely you'll avoid this, but don't guarantee it.

I spent a lovely 30 min with CBSA a few weeks ago because they'd suddenly discovered I had a passport they didn't know about, and then the agent noticed 30+ crossings in the last year, and decided I was up to something.

Frankly, these folks have a tough job, and to the average American or Canadian someone who travels as much as the average FTer does *is* pretty unusual, so IMNSHO they're right to at least follow up...politely.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Orion
I gave up on YVR a several years ago. Vancouver is one of my favorite cities. I love it. But I decided to just stay away since I am not wanted there. I always get these questions during the 45 minute interview: "Why are you here. Why are you really here? Who do you know here? Who are you going to meet?"
They found a packet of nuts and a packet of pretzels from the airline I had tucked in my pocket and was threatened with a fine. Out of the goodness of his heart he did not fine me. "Just don't let this happen again".
I won't.
It was easier getting into East Germany.
Sadly I feel the same way about entering the U.S. After 2 ridiculous uncalled for grillings 7 years ago I said to hell with it. I've been in all 50 states and I have no reason to go on business to the U.S. anymore so the times I would have returned to places there I really loved to visit I'll go to other places that have actually been far more interesting instead. I love the U.S. and the people but the gatekeepers are .........
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:02 pm

I have entered YVR numerous times on a UK passport and always found the border agents polite... sounds like the OP had bad luck or maybe an unusual travel pattern...
Old Nov 2, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by gonzalesflyer
I have entered YVR numerous times on a UK passport and always found the border agents polite... sounds like the OP had bad luck or maybe an unusual travel pattern...
No they are generally [edited by Moderator] to returning Canadian citizens as well.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm Reason: Per FT Rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.