Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

The 2012 Storm Featuring Hurricane Sandy: Please Report Weather Conditions Near You

Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
PHL--no flights on Monday

PHILADELPHIA - All flights have been canceled at Philadelphia International Airport in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy.

Airport spokeswoman Victoria Lupica said Sunday night that travelers are asked not to come to the airport on Monday. She said airport and airline officials will be monitoring and assessing the situation to determine when flights can resume.
http://www.ydr.com/alerts/ci_2187907...philly-airport
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Washington DC

730a local: heavy, steady rain, some local road flooding; temps 50 to 55F, but no serious wind. 18-25mph winds out of the north at DCA right now. There are some departures operating from both DCA and IAD this morning. Looks like just another random rainstorm so far. Forecasters say both rain and wind intensity will ramp up around 1200p local and stay bad for hours. PM winds of 30-40 mph expected with 60-70mph gusts. Washington Airports Authority says it hopes to resume some operations Tuesday PM.

Last edited by BearX220; Oct 29, 2012 at 6:26 am Reason: Adding airport info
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
730a local: heavy, steady rain, some local road flooding; temps 50 to 55F, but no serious wind. 18-25mph winds out of the north at DCA right now. Looks like just another random rainstorm so far, Forecasters say both rain and wind intensity will ramp up around 1200p local and stay bad for hours. PM winds of 30-40 mph expected with 60-70mph gusts.
That's what they're calling for in MDT as well, about the same time.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
For folks who have Directv, they're carrying local news coverage of the storm on channels 325 and 349. They do this with many landfalling hurricanes.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Yes, different neighborhoods have been experiencing differing weather conditions today; feel free to look at any set of radar maps you like and you'll see that, and maybe realize that the snark in your post wasn't appropriate.

Where I am has had steady rain since about 4 pm, and some of it has been extremely heavy. A branch from my oak tree, which ends 4 feet from the house, just slapped against a window - no, I don't have a wind guage but it took a pretty good gust to do that.

A friend who lives 9 miles from here has had the same conditions. YMMV, but I'll refrain from sarcasm if it does.
Eeeeaaaaasy there, trigger. What you may have perceived as snarkiness was most likely my exasperation that you and I have seen complete opposites of each other while being in the same city. Chill and be safe.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:25 am

Rains are off and on so far this morning on the West Side of NYC. Water levels are already higher at the morning high tide than they were at the peak of Irene.

Or, if you want to watch the water in motion, a video.

This was all as of around 8am EDT so roughly high tide. I'm planning on going out in an hour or so to get a lower tide view of things.

And for those who don't quite fathom the size of this storm, this should help.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
BOS - all MBTA services will shut down at 2pm today.

Currently light wind with very sporadic gusts. No rain...yet.

Well stocked with Dark 'n' Stormy's.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:42 am

MDT

My company is closing at 3 PM today, Mr. Kipper's base is closing at 2 PM, and is closed for tomorrow. My company is opening at 11 tomorrow, pending the city not declaring a state of emergency.

Rain has picked up a bit, and due to leaves clogging storm drains, some of the city streets are starting to flood.

Last edited by kipper; Oct 29, 2012 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:42 am
Suspended

Washington, D.C.

Having gone through Katrina, nothing exciting to report here in Washington D.C.
After low intensity steady rains and light winds since early this morning, even the rain has stopped for now.

Last edited by Yaatri; Oct 29, 2012 at 9:48 am
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kipper
My company is closing at 3 PM today, Mr. Kipper's base is closing at 2 PM, and is closed for tomorrow. My company is opening at 11 tomorrow, pending the city not declaring a state of emergency.
Please, don't clutter the thread with incomplete or personal information which might be useless. You don;t say anything about the storm, nor about where you are. The storm might have serious impact on some.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Yaatri
Please, don't clutter the thread with incomplete or personal information which might be useless. You don;t say anything about the storm, nor about where you are. The storm might have serious impact on some.
See above for location (bolding mine):

That's what they're calling for in MDT as well, about the same time.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri
I edited my post, although I thought my prior posts indicated where I was.

That said, I would refer you to the OP, which says in part (bolding mine):

Originally Posted by Canarsie
The purposes for this discussion is to not only report weather conditions for those who are traveling no matter what conveyance or vehicle they use, but also to ensure that you are all right where you are located.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:12 am
Suspended

I edited my post, although I thought my prior posts indicated where I was.

That said, I would refer you to the OP, which says in part (bolding mine):
Thank you.
Thank you. It;s more important to hear when someone is not OK than when someone is OK. For most of us, it is day to sit at home, watch TV, read a book, but for some might not have power, or even a home to sit in. I have gone through Katrina, I know. How long your office will stay close is not really very important for this thread. I hope you understand.
I won;t say anything more about this, as it's cluttering the thread too.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Fringes of JFK airport are starting to go under:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6YKEsMCEAABAhN.jpg

I suspect that Newark is going to become a far more popular place once flights start to resume.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Washington DC

130p local: Things have socked in badly within the last hour. Overcast down, wind up, higher gusts, rain intensifying. WTOP radio urging all cars off the streets. Here we go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.