Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Passenger etiquette - can I tell them to shut it off ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:52 am
Original Poster

I've done it before, told another passenger to shut their cell phone off, and it turned into an argument.

Do the Airline staff have an "etiquette" here ?
Do FA's prefer I (a passenger) keep my mouth shut to save an argument, and just notify the FA about my neighbor so they can tell them to turn it off?

I had another one this morning, I didn't notice he had it on (in airplane mode) until we were taxi-ing for take off, so it was too late to get an FA involved.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:59 am

It does seem to have reached epidemic levels lately. I was on an aisle on a US flight from PHL-DEN last month, and the college age kid in the middle seat next to me wouldn't turn his phone off (listening to music), nor would the person across the aisle, even after the FA asking him to twice, the second time saying "I'm sure what you're doing is really important, but..." (and he was playing a game), and the person behind him listening to music. I so wanted to say something, but what's the point, especially when so many are ignoring the rules.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
if you were trained as a seal/delta force/marine raider [i think its still the name], you are reasonably safe....

there are too many dykwia's who are imbeciles....
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:28 pm
Suspended

It's a stupid rule and not your business to enforce it. You should MYOB.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm not saying it's a smart rule, but I do believe this is an FAA mandate (Federal Aviation Administration) which means if you don't comply, you have committed a federal offense.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:39 pm

As bad as it is to be tech-addicted guy ignoring the FA, don't be the guy who thinks it's his job to play cop, either.

Unless it's causing someone harm, mind your own business or report it to an FA. In a few years it'll probably be completely permissible to use them during takeoff/landing anyway.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bh9197
I'm not saying it's a smart rule, but I do believe this is an FAA mandate (Federal Aviation Administration) which means if you don't comply, you have committed a federal offense.
There is no law against it and no penalty assigned. Using the phrase "federal offense" in the way you have is quite laughable. Could you be charged with disobeying the instructions of a flight crew? Probably, but you could also be charged for getting up when the seat belt sign is on, using the bathroom in the wrong class of service, not putting your backpack under the seat in front of you, etc. No judge or jury would convict, no prosecutor would charge you -- unless you were belligerent or repeatedly ignored direct requests from a FA or pilot.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA CO DL
There is all sorts of "stuff" in the cockpit that could be effected with one device or two/three in concert. They really don't know, still ongoing research. But, until they do know, I would rather turn them ALL off just so we don't land upside down or mess up a take off attempt.

It is a federal offense as noted. Perhaps knowing that the fine is $25,000.00 per incident and anyone can file a complaint might sober up those self important types.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do you put a blue light on your personal vehicles and pull over speeders? If not, then don't address other pax about your views. If you believe that another pax is violating the law, call a FA. That's what they are paid to do.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, Marriott Gold, US SP, Avis PS
I guess someone forgot to tell the non-rev pilot in 2A last week that his iPad was going to crash the plane during takeoff or landing. FA ignored it. If it was really that serious do you think the FAA would leave it up to voluntary compliance?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:21 pm
Suspended

There is as much evidence and as much actual history of plane crashes caused by wearing blue sweatshirts as there is of using cellphones and electronic devices during takeoff and landing. I don't see any FAA orders about blue sweatshirts.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efgLHgsBmM
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread has managed to devolve into an argument about whether the rule is a good idea, not what the rule is and who ought to enforce it.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
Originally Posted by Often1
This thread has managed to devolve into an argument about whether the rule is a good idea, not what the rule is and who ought to enforce it.
Methinks it reflects a generational gap as we go from a reasonably civil society and devolve into the me, myself and I society where social behaviors are subordinated to the prevailing momentary impulse of the moment or which ever solution is more favorable to me, myself and I.

As to the OP's original question. You do raise a dilemma about when does one look the other way and when might one take an advocacy position. I don't think a general all-encompasing answer exists, as these sort of things are all about fluid momentary factors which will sort of make their own validty quite apparant..

I also focus less upon the straw man arguments and circular polemics about electronic devices offered in these threads and more upon the fact that the FA speaks and acts with federal statutory authority as a member of the flight crew giving a pax a direct instruction.

Then again I also believe that Beaver and Wally should still listen to their parents and their teachers let alone a FA.

Barry
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, Marriott Gold, US SP, Avis PS
Anxiously waits for a passenger to get caught in a giant coffee cup while on their iPad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.