Wiki Posts
Search

The downside of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1MM UA
The downside of upgrades

Many threads on Flyertalk involve upgrades. They are valuable and important for some people, and a major aspect of FF mileage programs.

I don’t value them.

Flights – I don’t care about the extra space. Often when I get an upgrade, I would have had an empty seat next to me in economy. I would rather some large or tall person have the extra space. The meal could be a good perk, but you usually don’t know when you’ll get an upgrade. Therefore I don’t know whether to buy a meal before I get to the airport or to buy food. If I get an upgrade, it is at the last minute and is useless in that regard. The other problem is when I get a family member a seat next to mine, and then I get upgraded away from them. Five of my last nine upgrades, I’ve been separated from a family member. In Europe, first class on some flights seems to be in front of a curtain. I’ve never understood that.

I recently was upgraded at the last minute from my window seat to a business seat without a window. Luckily they hadn’t given my seat away, so (after a bit of a hassle) I got my window economy seat back. On another trip with my wife, who was on a separate PNR, I had never called to get us seated together. I present our boarding passes at the gate, “Can I please be removed from the upgrade list, and have my wife and I sit together, if possible?” It took her a while, but after 10 minutes, she gave us two boarding passes together. Not 5 minutes later, I am called up by another agent for an upgrade. I told her I didn’t want it – but they had already given my seat away.

Trains - Once we were upgraded to first class for a train in Switzerland, as part of a package deal. We were asked if we wanted any drinks, and my wife asked for some water. We were really annoyed to find out that it cost $7.00, particularly since we had some with us.

Rental Cars – An upgrade is a bigger gas guzzling car, which I never want. A SUV is really a major downgrade.

Hotels – An upgrade gets you a better room. But how do you know its better? I don’t stay at the same hotels often enough to know the rooms well enough. And sometimes, a better room is worthless, like the room with a garden view when you’re only there at night.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Sweet Mary Jesus!

Your nights must just fly by!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Sweet Mary Jesus!

^^
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: LOL, ROFL & ...
sosafan, the Rip Engle of the frequent traveler world!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:56 pm

You do realize you can just ask the person who took your seat if they will trade with you?

Between sitting in front and sitting next to your wife, I think most people will trade their seats for your first class one.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Oh, to suffer from first-world problems...
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I had one of those issues a few weeks ago on DL. My girlfriend and I (who are long distance) were flying VPS-ATL together (she and I were flying to different work sites), and I got an upgrade (but she didn't).

It was an easy decision - switch with the person who was sitting next to her (in a middle seat) and request permission from the FA. We each got a bottle of water, some time to chat, and probably made some infrequent traveler happy.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by frozyn
Oh, to suffer from first-world problems...
^

So the OP is not a fan of upgrades; to each his/her own. But what does this have to do with MilesBuzz?

Perhaps another forum should be created (specifically for opinions like these):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ain-about.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ain-about.html
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
[QUOTE=luv2ctheworld;19528993]^

So the OP is not a fan of upgrades; to each his/her own. But what does this have to do with MilesBuzz?QUOTE]

its a buzz kill of course.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: No longer traveling :-( HH Gold; AA Gold (1MM)- thx to FlyerTalk :-)
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Sweet Mary Jesus!

This is one of the funniest responses I have seen in awhile. The person sitting next to me at the airport looked over after I almost spit out my drink laughing.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL, Amex MR
OP must be making someone else extremely happy everytime he/she travels!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by sosafan

Hotels – An upgrade gets you a better room. But how do you know its better? I don’t stay at the same hotels often enough to know the rooms well enough. And sometimes, a better room is worthless, like the room with a garden view when you’re only there at night.
LOL....

Got an upgrade last night to the hotel's most expensive suite with a jacuzzi. As I was traveling alone, would have preferred the regular suite which had a couch and extra lounge chairs, but the room was huge and it made little difference in the end....

At least they were doing their best to upgrade me!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed on the SUVs. Annoying to drive and a pain to park.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
If you're so annoyed by it, why do you ever put yourself on an upgrade list, for anything???
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: AE, MP, DL, AA, Accor Platinum (But aren't we all?)
Working for the SA government,my grandfather often flew busineas or firt booked by his office. My grandmother would often to go along on trips to more exotic destinations like Russia, Taiwan and Switzerland. They would just buy an additional economy fare and ask the person seated next to my gran if they wanted the upgrade. 100% yes rate. I would jump for joy if I was asked to switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.