Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

The downside of upgrades

The downside of upgrades

Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by gmax58
I had one of those issues a few weeks ago on DL. My girlfriend and I (who are long distance) were flying VPS-ATL together (she and I were flying to different work sites), and I got an upgrade (but she didn't).

It was an easy decision - switch with the person who was sitting next to her (in a middle seat) and request permission from the FA. We each got a bottle of water, some time to chat, and probably made some infrequent traveler happy.
Oh man. Hope none of the DMs from Delta land come over and see this. They're going bonkers in one thread over people like you (and me) who, rather than swapping with the person sitting next to your/my spouse, situation demand that we speak to gate agent and give our F upgrade to the "next elite on the upgrade list" when we find ourselves in this. It's rather hilarious reading their posts where they're lecturing about the "rules" and how people like us are "undermining the system" blah blah blah.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:37 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by SOLTATIO
Working for the SA government,my grandfather often flew busineas or firt booked by his office. My grandmother would often to go along on trips to more exotic destinations like Russia, Taiwan and Switzerland. They would just buy an additional economy fare and ask the person seated next to my gran if they wanted the upgrade. 100% yes rate. I would jump for joy if I was asked to switch.
Too much money it appears; He could have just upgraded her and spent a flight time with anyone else.
I know my wife would appreciate some time away from me relaxing in comfort with a glass or two of wine.

Originally Posted by mooper
I started to cry half way through the OP. Made me reexamine my life. Couldn't finish. Things must change.
I needed some tissues as well.

Originally Posted by peachfront
Some people are determined to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and I'm not sure why.
We need more of them so our upgrades will clear

Originally Posted by sosafan
I agree that not getting my window seat, or not sitting with family are not important problems in life.
OP you do make some points that I may agree with at times, but not all in the same post please.
Rentals;
In strange cities, I do like smaller cars, but I call ahead and specify that.
Hotels;
I do not care for the view that much, but sometimes the 10 min of time you spend is worth it. I spent time in Luxor courtesy of a SPG Plat who booked it for me. We got the suiet with the Nile view; I was sure it was worthless as we were travelling around most of the time. The last day, our flight was to leave late afternoon and we returned at noon and had a couple of hours to kill - The young kids still remember our time on the suite verandah watching the boats ply the Nile and think of that as one of the best times of the whole trip.
Trains;
First class is quieter and you can get more work done
Planes
Are you in this cattle herd? Look at the flights today and the crowding!
Many threads on Flyertalk involve upgrades. They are valuable and important for some people, and a major aspect of FF mileage programs.
I don’t value them.
Calling SMI/J
You must be the new type of Elite Flyer that United is looking for;
they are looking to thin the herd of the undesirable over-entitled cattle hanging around and getting fed on Flyertalk.-

Last edited by ffI; Oct 27, 2012 at 7:00 am
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:04 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I am a little surprised that I can’t find a thread with “Platinum” in the title since the (effective March 2012) merger. I’m an often 1P –never 1K - that just made Platinum for getting to 75K (Is there an acronym for this?). United didn’t really have anything for reaching 75K before. I wasn’t really expecting this to be any great shakes, but I’ve been reading the benefits:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx
I’ll list what I see there, but if others have some experience and think this thread is useful, they should add or correct this.

1. Up to 8 (rather than1) companions get economy plus on the same reservation
2. CPU confirmation at 72, (rather than 48) hours
3. RPU eligibility (I know these are widely discussed, but I don’t really know what they are.)
4. 75% (rather than 50%) RDM bonus; yes it used to be 100% for 1P anyway
5. Global entry application fee
6. Better premium award availability
7. No fee phone service
8. 10% discount on duty free
9. No award close-in, redeposit or change fees.
I don’t value upgrades, so besides #4, the ones that may be of value for me are #5, #7 and #9. But if any other long-time 1P is now enjoying platinum benefits, I’d be interested in hearing what they think.
Does anyone know if #7 includes awards for family members?
OP, I thought this was a troll post to start a thread like many, but you are serious!
Any award that you book from your account is free.

The interesting thing in the new program is that the ticket booked from your account, bestows on them the same rights that you have.

My wife was upgraded as a non status to Biz with an UDU with my status for a ticket booked from my account.

Last edited by ffI; Oct 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Originally Posted by ffI
OP, I thought this was a troll post to start a thread like many, but you are serious!
Any award that you book from your account is free.

The interesting thing in the new program is that the ticket booked from your account, bestows on them the same rights that you have.

My wife was upgraded as a non status to Biz with an UDU with my status for a ticket booked from my account.
Doesnt elite status give you companion upgrades on most FF programs ?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 3:57 am

Well, the OP isn't at all off-based on the hotel upgrade part. I do agree that not all upgrades are worth it. I recently just came from a 2+ weeks vacation abroad for a family of 5. For most of our stays, we booked 2 rooms, with request for a rollaway bed in one of the rooms. It tends to work out pretty well.

At one of the hotels, they had already upgraded us to an executive room queen room pre-arrival for one room, and to a 3 single beds room for the other. We couldn't be happier. At check-in, they offer to upgrade the "3 single beds" room (not ready yet when we checked in) to a "family" room, but it's only got 2 beds and rollaway wasn't allowed (and we asked about a pull-out couch). After some quick discussion amongst ourselves, we decided to decline the "higher category" family room because we did the shared bed option + rollaway at Conrad for the first part of the vacation already. It was fine and all, but we each felt it was more important to have a bed you can call your own to catch a good night's sleep...

In the end, we stuck with our 3-single bed rooms and it was a very homely room with comfortable beds. In fact, we all thought it was just great, and possibly even better than the executive queen room (which only edges in better views on a higher floor, and larger bed).

For flights though, it's almost always more comfortable to sit up front. However, if given the choice between the extra 5 inch legroom in economy vs regular economy, I'd rather sit next to someone I know over those puny extra leg room (and I speak from very recent experience, if I could do it all over again).

Just my 2 cents.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so youre only talking about free/operational upgrades..

hotels depend on what kind of hotel you stay at and for what purpose.

personally, id like to see more paid airport VIP offerings.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc
You do realize you can just ask the person who took your seat if they will trade with you?

Between sitting in front and sitting next to your wife, I think most people will trade their seats for your first class one.
Agreed. On one trip a non-status was upgraded due to coach being oversold and the flight attendant asked me to switch as I was sitting next to his wife (never mind that I had status and wasn't offered the upgrade, but that'd be for another tread).

I was willing to make the sacrifice and schlepped up to Business Class.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD

"I would have had an empty seat next to me in economy. "
What flight have you been on in the last 5 years?

"The meal could be a good perk "
What flight have you been on in the last 5 years?

"I get a family member a seat next to mine, and then I get upgraded away from them."
So obviously even for leisure travel you don't redeem for first when traveling with family...
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Sky Team
A good read and laugh! Thank you!! LOL!!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
after reading this i was waiting to see a post like "I tryed to book a red eye flight lax-jfk and requested a middle seat in the back that deos not recline and is right next to the bathroom, I also requested to have 4-5 screaming kids seated near me, but the darn airline upgraded me and i had to sit next to a young lady in a cheerleader outfit in first class. this stinks i just wanted my old seat in the back."
kapooncha likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Trains - Once we were upgraded to first class for a train in Switzerland, as part of a package deal. We were asked if we wanted any drinks, and my wife asked for some water. We were really annoyed to find out that it cost $7.00, particularly since we had some with us.
I realize that this is an old thread that has been dug up but i just have to add that the same drink/ snack cart goes through the whole train, first and second class, so it has zero to do with your upgrade.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by BenSenise
I realize that this is an old thread that has been dug up but i just have to add that the same drink/ snack cart goes through the whole train, first and second class, so it has zero to do with your upgrade.
In response to thread #6, I suspect everything on flyertalk is a first world problem.

Regarding the train, it was clearly our mistake. But if we weren’t in first class, we wouldn’t have thought they were offering us free water.

One rime my wife and I got split up due an upgrade I couldn’t undo, and I told her to take it. But the flight attendant said something to her about having a man’s name. The remark might have been good-natured, but it made my wife uncomfortable, and she now refuses to take the upgrade in this situation again.

A bad experience was on a Zurich to Bangkok flight soon after a Chicago to Zurich flight. Our internal clock was different than most others on the flight, so after a short nap, we both got up and wanted to watch movies, but the flight attendants couldn’t get the devices working at our seats. So about halfway through the flight, they upgraded us to some empty seats. In order to see the controls on her TV, she turned on her light twice for 5 seconds each. This made another passenger irate who came up two rows and bitterly complained how much we had disturbed her.

You can all put your tissues away. I am not looking for any sympathy and we don’t need any. I am pointing out our preferences to politely disagree with the notion that everyone would always want an upgrade. If I were big or tall, I’m sure I would value airline upgrades. I value other perks, like lounges, priority, easier changes, free luggage, free flights, etc. And if you value your upgrades, fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.