FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What tips are there for taking a wedding dress as a carry on? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1397197-what-tips-there-taking-wedding-dress-carry.html)

stupidzbu Oct 13, 12 8:56 pm

What tips are there for taking a wedding dress as a carry on?

Options are either I take it on UA/CM or the wife takes it with Lan down to South America

Are there are tips for what to do and want to stay away from?

theshaun Oct 14, 12 10:52 am

I have seen the FA's be very accommodating in hanging them up in the closet. I'm assuming it came with with a nice garment bag. If not, you will want that.

clacko Oct 14, 12 11:32 am

bunch of threads on this....use "wedding dress" to search this forum...

much quicker than waiting for replies....

UnitedFlyGuy Oct 14, 12 11:39 am

Originally Posted by clacko (Post 19493802)
bunch of threads on this....use "wedding dress" to search this forum...

much quicker than waiting for replies....

This response never helps people. How about linking to some of those threads also?

@OP - The FAs are 99% willing to help you out, etc. My wife brought hers on a southwest flight and the guy was more than helpful.

clacko Oct 14, 12 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy (Post 19493828)
This response never helps people. How about linking to some of those threads also?

@OP - The FAs are 99% willing to help you out, etc. My wife brought hers on a southwest flight and the guy was more than helpful.

delete

oupiglet Oct 14, 12 2:33 pm

Make sure you have it on a nice wooden hanger. My heavy duty plastic hanger broke in the airport making it a pain in the butt to carry.

lovely15 Oct 14, 12 5:36 pm

You'll have to have it steamed or pressed once you get there, so I say just throw in a bag and carry it like any other luggage.

skibum7732 Oct 15, 12 12:16 am

Just wad it up in a duffle bag n pitch it in overhead:D

vicarious_MR'er Oct 15, 12 9:05 am

Originally Posted by theshaun (Post 19493628)
I have seen the FA's be very accommodating in hanging them up in the closet. I'm assuming it came with with a nice garment bag. If not, you will want that.

yes, I, too, was treated very well when taking mine overseas. They found space to hang it up and returned it at the end of each flight leg.

stupidzbu Oct 15, 12 4:14 pm

awesome info guys ...

is this something I need to call ahead or just show up with it?

LizzyDragon84 Oct 16, 12 10:33 am

Originally Posted by stupidzbu (Post 19501104)
awesome info guys ...

is this something I need to call ahead or just show up with it?

I'd just show up with it and ask the FAs at boarding for their assistance.

dj506 Oct 16, 12 4:09 pm

But when you get to your hotel, do NOT hang it on the sprinkler head that is typically above the doorway. This will break the connection in the sprinkler, which will start going off and flood your room. My hubby is a firefighter and frequently gets called to a hotel where someone has done this and set off the alarms.

stupidzbu Oct 17, 12 7:08 am

Originally Posted by dj506 (Post 19507732)
But when you get to your hotel, do NOT hang it on the sprinkler head that is typically above the doorway. This will break the connection in the sprinkler, which will start going off and flood your room. My hubby is a firefighter and frequently gets called to a hotel where someone has done this and set off the alarms.

honestly .. the thought probably never crossed anyone's mind ... people actually do this? haha

dj506 Oct 17, 12 8:29 am

It happens all the time. Wedding dresses and bridesmaids' dresses are typically too long to put in the closet. But that sprinkler head is just sticking out of the wall at just the right height to keep the bottom of the dress from hitting the ground.

The hangar breaks a connection in the sprinkler, it goes off, spraying water (often rusty from sitting in the pipes), and flooding their room. Hotel gets evacuated since the alarm goes off and fire department gets called.

Dudemius Oct 17, 12 4:41 pm

Don't leave it behind on the plane.