Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to get someone to swap seats, in Business on long haul?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get someone to swap seats, in Business on long haul?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Best bet is to ask the GA/club to check on seats and hope someone doesn't show up. Even if there's just one aisle or window seat it'll give you better trading leverage.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by smashr
Offering a bottle of something from the onboard duty free might be a less tacky way to sweeten the pot (could also be said humorously)...

Barring that, just be nice and offer to trade down. Even if you have two window seats, offering forward or backward as appropriate (opposite of FEBO).
I think this is the trick. Offering this (or even the $100 bill) in a joking manner after a polite request (and likely a polite decline) might work....never know, and less offensive than offering with an up-front sob story. The little extra interaction and time may make the requestee reconsider (and s/he may even decline the gift at this point).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by smashr
Offering a bottle of something from the onboard duty free might be a less tacky way to sweeten the pot (could also be said humorously)...

Barring that, just be nice and offer to trade down. Even if you have two window seats, offering forward or backward as appropriate (opposite of FEBO).
How about offering a mini of scotch from the F galley?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:50 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
A cash bribe would be an insult to me. I'm willing to play fair for free.
I agree. I wouldnt want a cash bribe.

If you really wanted to be nice, you could say offer a box of chocolate or something that you just happen to have in your bag from your trip.

In the end, if you want to change seats, feel free to ask and be nice about it. Window for Window, etc. If you have a middle seat, offer to take another middle seat. If you have a better seat you are willing to give up, you will get a much better response.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by cxn

In the end, if you want to change seats, feel free to ask and be nice about it. Window for Window, etc. If you have a middle seat, offer to take another middle seat. If you have a better seat you are willing to give up, you will get a much better response.
It really is this simple. When traveling solo I will almost always trade seats if seated in First/Business as there rarely are bad seats. Even if I prefer an aisle I'll still trade for a window, and I've even offered when noticing couples or parents/kids seated apart who I could tell wanted to sit together but were too shy/timid to ask.

The only time I wouldn't trade in biz/first would be a 3-across situation placing me into a middle in exchange for an aisle/window or perhaps if it would put me in a poor position for FEBO when I knew I'd get a terrible meal, but I've never actually had this situation occur. Unless both members of a couple looking to trade are seated in a middle it's usually easy to make a trade happen in premium cabins.

In coach I rarely trade because I'm always sitting in an exit row or bulkhead, and most trades would involve a serious downgrade in seat quality.

I've never had a problem asking to trade to sit next to friends/SO, but I've also never asked anyone to take a markedly inferior seat.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
1. Don't sit in my seat before you ask. I walk on the plane and I see someone in my seat. Before I even walk down the aisle I tell the FA "Can you please help me? Someone is sitting in my seat." That way, the FA is already involved.
4 times out of 5 (IME), the person sitting in my seat is there because they are stupid and just can't match the number-letter combination on their boarding pass with the number-letter above the seat. Seriously, the frequency at which this happens has lead me to lose a little bit of faith in humanity (or at least the US educational system). So I think it's aggressive and unnecessary to pull the FA into it before you can even properly assess the situation.

Originally Posted by vxmike
The only time I wouldn't trade in biz/first would be a 3-across situation placing me into a middle in exchange for an aisle/window
I'd do it for $100 certainly. There's really nothing objectively wrong with a middle seat in business class. It's not like you're rubbing shoulders/elbows with a seatmate on each side.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 11, 2012 at 6:34 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by vxmike
It really is this simple. When traveling solo I will almost always trade seats if seated in First/Business as there rarely are bad seats. Even if I prefer an aisle I'll still trade for a window, and I've even offered when noticing couples or parents/kids seated apart who I could tell wanted to sit together but were too shy/timid to ask.

The only time I wouldn't trade in biz/first would be a 3-across situation placing me into a middle in exchange for an aisle/window or perhaps if it would put me in a poor position for FEBO when I knew I'd get a terrible meal, but I've never actually had this situation occur. Unless both members of a couple looking to trade are seated in a middle it's usually easy to make a trade happen in premium cabins. .....
I agree 100%. There really is no bad seats in business, even the middle seat. I am more worried about FEBO.

Just be polite and ask nicely. However some people are picky about their seats, and if they are, you will just have to respect tthat.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Now that it has had some responses on the AA Forum, as it is a general question this will relocate to TravelBuzz!

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:44 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Two things *not* to do. (Both apply to SNA-ORD, first class, about a week ago).

1. Don't sit in my seat before you ask.
I have to disagree here. Do not stand around in the aisle and block it while waiting for the seat owner to show up, because you are blocking other passengers and the FA will tell you to move. And do not go to your seat and wait, because once the seat owner settles into his seat, it's an extra burden to move. If someone wants my seat, I would prefer to be told before I put my stuff in the pocket, open the headphones, unravel the blanket, etc. If the seat you want is visible from your assigned seat, then of course sit there and wait.

I walk on the plane and I see someone in my seat. Before I even walk down the aisle I tell the FA "Can you please help me? Someone is sitting in my seat." That way, the FA is already involved.
In my opinion, this is highly immature. In most cases, the seat poacher is not aggressive or demanding, and will move if you really don't want to switch. FAs are busy trying to get the plane ready and don't want to be bothered by trivial nonsense, especially when you haven't even made an attempt to sort it out yourself.

Last edited by cbn42; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:50 am
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by cbn42
I have to disagree here. Do not stand around in the aisle and block it while waiting for the seat owner to show up, because you are blocking other passengers and the FA will tell you to move. And do not go to your seat and wait, because once the seat owner settles into his seat, it's an extra burden to move. If someone wants my seat, I would prefer to be told before I put my stuff in the pocket, open the headphones, unravel the blanket, etc. If the seat you want is visible from your assigned seat, then of course sit there and wait.

In my opinion, this is highly immature. In most cases, the seat poacher is not aggressive or demanding, and will move if you really don't want to switch. FAs are busy trying to get the plane ready and don't want to be bothered by trivial nonsense, especially when you haven't even made an attempt to sort it out yourself.
Sorry, but after 3,000+ flights, my perspective is different. I look before I get past the galley, because it happens too often. It is not my job to kick someone out of my seat. And since it has *always* been a couple, that means that one of the two people is already seated next to me - so the "poacher" doesn't need to wait in my seat, their partner is right next to me, ready to ask as soon as I approach.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I occasionally decline a request to change seats. On short flights I don't really care; but on the longer flights, TATL, TPAC or coast-to-coast, I sometimes decline. Changing one aisle seat to a different one, no problem and I've never declined this request. Changing from an aisle to a window or vice versa is different, though. On long flights, my seat selection/location generally matters a lot to me.

I find it particularly offensive when I decline and the person who asked gets angry. The person asking to change has no right to my seat. S/he is asking for a favor. It won't always be granted. I always reserve my seat in advance. If someone cares that much about the seat, s/he should, too. And if the reservation was made too late to do that, that's one of the benefits of reserving early, just like the availability of lower fares.
My policy is simple, I never swap seats for another passenger ever, no matter what sob story I get. I choose my seat for a reason.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:03 am
AAL

Two things *not* to do.

1. Don't sit in my seat before you ask.

2. Don't give me the "stink eye" as you walk to your real seat. Any chance that I was going to reconsider went out the door as that happened. In fact, it made me actually enjoy saying "no."
I totally agree. I've decided to make it a general rule to say no to seat poachers (although I would break my rule in the appropriate circumstances). Sometimes, but very rarely, the person has made a mistake -- as I have also done when my seat assignments on connecting flights were not identical. More often, the poacher has decided that they deserve to sit next to the empty seat next to mine, and I've decided that im not going to reward that behavior any more.

It is so odd that people think they are entitled to someone else's seat, that we should automatically agree to their request, and that we are somehow in the wrong if we don't. Sometimes even the FA's have this attitude.

I was on a 3 hour flight with my two daughters, both in their early twenties, and my baby grandson, who had a ticketed seat. Although his car seat was already strapped in (no small undertaking), the FA actually asked them to move to accommodate another family. She didn't realize that I was traveling with them, sitting across the aisle. I quickly declined the request. What was she was thinking, asking passengers who obviously had a lot of paraphernalia and a car seat to move? Probably that they were young and would just agree because she asked! And where she wanted to move them turned out to be the last row, the one with non-reclining seats next to the lavatories!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The OP was thoughtful enough to ask here in advance, has added "thank you for the responses" posts a number of times, and seems like a kind person.
I would imagine the multiple posts advising him not to be rude/arrogant/nasty are probably superfluous.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:03 pm

Another anecdote - on a recent TATL Op-up where both my wife and I were upgraded I simply asked nicely if the person would mind switching seats so that I could sit next to my wife on the new 763, no problems whatsoever!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 2:54 pm
Suspended

My advice is to take your assigned seats when you board (as in, don't try and squat in someone else's) then ask those around you politely. Be prepared to take "no" for an answer. It is theirs to give and not yours to demand. This should probably work. Otherwise, it's not a big deal not to sit together for a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.